A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi Connect and missing SD card

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Connect and missing SD card

Hi there,

First-time poster here so apologies if I'm in the wrong place. You guys have this place pretty well divided up.

Have very recently bought a 2016 A4 1.4tfsi Sport and am starting to pull my hair out with Audi Connect. As the car is secondhand the obligatory 3-month trial has run its course. Along with that, the SD card I gather is supposed to come with the car is missing. Car was bought from a non-Audi dealership who know nothing about the card.

Is there a way to get the navigation data onto a blank SD card to insert in the car's SD slot? Audi are wonderfully opaque about this - along with any info about renewing Audi Connect licences.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My S5 B9 Sportback didn't come with any SD cards. To update the maps, I was able to do it both from the car and by downloading an update from the Audi Connect website. For the latter, I had to use my own SD card.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That only applies if you have MMI high package, if you've the SD card based Sat Nav then the only way to get maps onto it is to have the genuine Audi SD card then have it activated to the car. I would press the dealership as, if it was advertised as having Sat Nav, you should expect it to be working and fully functional...
Old 03-19-2018, 03:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman
My S5 B9 Sportback didn't come with any SD cards. To update the maps, I was able to do it both from the car and by downloading an update from the Audi Connect website. For the latter, I had to use my own SD card.
Thanks for the feedback. To add to the confusion, MyAudi doesn't give me a maps update option. Will go back to Audi.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cuke2u
That only applies if you have MMI high package, if you've the SD card based Sat Nav then the only way to get maps onto it is to have the genuine Audi SD card then have it activated to the car. I would press the dealership as, if it was advertised as having Sat Nav, you should expect it to be working and fully functional...
Hmmm, dealership is non-Audi and car sold as seen. Everything perfect bar the missing SD card. Naively assumed I could download to my own SD and insert in the car. Might have to kick up a fuss so and see what they can do, if anything.

Not the best system in the world given that someone, presumably in my case, can just remove the card before selling on the car. There seems to be quite a few cards on eBay. The cynic in me thinks some people are doing this deliberately to make a few quid.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

As long as they are genuine maps, for the correct model and sealed inside a plastic container, as this is the only way to tell it hasn't been activated to a car. Which, in the UK, costs an extra £100..
Old 03-19-2018, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cuke2u
As long as they are genuine maps, for the correct model and sealed inside a plastic container, as this is the only way to tell it hasn't been activated to a car. Which, in the UK, costs an extra £100..
Thanks for the info. To complicate matters, it's a UK car imported into Ireland. I'm resigning myself to being at Audi's mercy for a solution. Hopefully won't be too expensive. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

No worries, Audi should be able to sort you out but be prepared for a possible cost in excess of £500 if you go through them. I still think the dealership you purchased it from should sort this out under the trade description act as if advertised as having sat nav it should be functional.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IrishAudiGuy
Hi there,

First-time poster here so apologies if I'm in the wrong place. You guys have this place pretty well divided up.

Have very recently bought a 2016 A4 1.4tfsi Sport and am starting to pull my hair out with Audi Connect. As the car is secondhand the obligatory 3-month trial has run its course. Along with that, the SD card I gather is supposed to come with the car is missing. Car was bought from a non-Audi dealership who know nothing about the card.

Is there a way to get the navigation data onto a blank SD card to insert in the car's SD slot? Audi are wonderfully opaque about this - along with any info about renewing Audi Connect licences.
I have a 2014 Audi and obtained the card from T mobile. T mobile is the provider for at least the 2014 Audi A5s and several other Audi models and years. I think just recently there are other Audi models and years that have more then 1 option, but for me and my car it's just T mobile. The card is free with sign up. They mail it to you for free. After you receive it you call back to activate it. I no longer have the number to contact them since I cancelled my subscription but you may be able to get it thru Audi of America. You may be able to go thru T mobile directly but I'm not sure.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Sundiego1
I have a 2014 Audi and obtained the card from T mobile. T mobile is the provider for at least the 2014 Audi A5s and several other Audi models and years. I think just recently there are other Audi models and years that have more then 1 option, but for me and my car it's just T mobile. The card is free with sign up. They mail it to you for free. After you receive it you call back to activate it. I no longer have the number to contact them since I cancelled my subscription but you may be able to get it thru Audi of America. You may be able to go thru T mobile directly but I'm not sure.
You are describing a SIM card that is needed to get the car active on a cellular network. The previous posts have been discussing an SD (secure digital) card that has the nav maps on it. Two different items.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect and missing SD card