Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Has anyone successfully wrapped your mirror caps...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Has anyone successfully wrapped your mirror caps...?

I initially ordered the port-installed Carbon Fiber Package (CFG) which included both the rear spoiler and mirror caps but because of an adhesion issue with the spoiler, I received neither.

After living with the car for a few months and deciding the C/F spoiler wouldn't really "pop" on Daytona like it would on Ibis, I decided I'm good living without the spoiler but I absolutely hate the silver mirrors...which match absolutely nothing on the coupe.
I have already purchased a pair of Matador Red caps from a member on AudiZine who switched to C/F and am wondering if anyone has had any success in wrapping theirs?

I met a group of Audi enthusiasts from the Bay Area at a Laguna Seca C&C event and they referred me to a place that's supposedly one of the best in the business and we've been in conversation...it's a tricky piece to wrap, especially those 3 little grooves on the side.
My initial thought was to have them wrapped in faux C/F (either matte or gloss) but I understand that may look kinda cheesy...has anyone had success doing this?

Because it's a leased car, my other option is just painting them Daytona and then popping them off when the car goes back if I won't be happy with the quality of the faux wrap.

I am open to suggestions and comments...

Old 03-21-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Mirror caps (on most cars) are notoriously impossible to wrap well given the shape. You're better off buying replacements or getting them painted.

I tried my hand at wrapping my Golf R mirror caps and was terribly unsuccessful even after spending multiple hours and having a fair amount of experience.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Personally I'm not a big fan of faux anything. I also think slapping carbon fiber on everything is also getting a little played out. It reminds me of how cars in the 50's started with small aero features that morphed into giant ridiculous fins and wings a decade later. The Japanese car culture has done the same thing with "stance". Take something that was originally intended as a minor performance mod and then take it to ridiculous extremes.

Which is a really long winded way of suggesting you just go with a Daytona paint scheme or something else that works well against that color (gloss black maybe?)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
Personally I'm not a big fan of faux anything. I also think slapping carbon fiber on everything is also getting a little played out. It reminds me of how cars in the 50's started with small aero features that morphed into giant ridiculous fins and wings a decade later. The Japanese car culture has done the same thing with "stance". Take something that was originally intended as a minor performance mod and then take it to ridiculous extremes.

Which is a really long winded way of suggesting you just go with a Daytona paint scheme or something else that works well against that color (gloss black maybe?)
I hear you on the faux CF,it's been a while since I've seen anything wrapped, I just figured it has been improved upon but I guess not, the owner of the wrap shop says he doesn't like it either.
He suggested gloss black but that really doesn't match with anything either and probably wouldn't be an improvement over what I have...but wrapping would probably be cheaper than painting an OEM color.

Daytona is probably my only real options...
Old 03-21-2018, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine wrapped because I wanted the rest of the car dechromed so I figured why not try it. They did an excellent job.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by anfnj22
I got mine wrapped because I wanted the rest of the dechromed so I figured why not try it. They did an excellent job.

Looks good, did they have an issues with the 3 lines on the inside edge?

About how much did that run you if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-21-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
Looks good, did they have an issues with the 3 lines on the inside edge?

About how much did that run you if you don't mind me asking?
They didn't mention it was an issue for them and it looks great to me, can't even tell it's wrapped. They have a warranty for 5 years as well on it if it starts to peel or bubble. I can take a picture of the inside for you once it stops snowing here. Not really sure how much for just the mirrors, they packaged all the wrapping and ceramic coating into 1 price, it wasn't cheap but you get what you pay for.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by anfnj22

They didn't mention it was an issue for them and it looks great to me, can't even tell it's wrapped. They have a warranty for 5 years as well on it if it starts to peel or bubble. I can take a picture of the inside for you once it stops snowing here. Not really sure how much for just the mirrors, they packaged all the wrapping and ceramic coating into 1 price, it wasn't cheap but you get what you pay for.
I hear you.
I decided rather than have my spares wrapped, I just bought a set from ECS for $253/shipped, I figure that's about the same or cheaper than painting an OEM color and I'll just sell mine.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
I hear you.
I decided rather than have my spares wrapped, I just bought a set from ECS for $253/shipped, I figure that's about the same or cheaper than painting an OEM color and I'll just sell mine.
Can't beat that price. I would have done that as well if I didn't need all the chrome wrapped as well. Probably not worth the price to have just the mirrors wrapped if you can buy them that cheap.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my mirrors wrapped gloss black. It's an A3 but mirrors are basically the same.

Quick Reply: Has anyone successfully wrapped your mirror caps...?