Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Fuel system cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel system cleaners

Are these of any real value? Years ago I was always told there was no reason to use any sort of additive of any kind. But I see a lot of products now with hundreds of great reviews, and am wondering if I should be using something. In particular I was looking at:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0097SDU..._t1_B00092893E

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is this just a waste of money or is it truly beneficial to use something like this? And/or is it only beneficial if I've been having issues, but if all seems to be going well, no need for it?

My Q5 is around 8 years old with about 70k miles and, knock on wood, runs quite well.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2018, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Techron (w/PEA) is very well known and proven as a FI system cleaner, I also believe there are other threads here about many who use Techron every oil change as a matter of course. If you're having minor FI-based issues (rough idle, hesitation on accel) you can safely run a 'double-dose' for a clean out (I've done so many times, on a half dozen other 2008+ vehicles with good to excellent results). Unfortunately I have no information about the BG 44K, but if it contains PEA in similar concentrations to Techron then it should be just as useful.

All of that said, $60 for a 6-pack of 20oz bottles is a good deal, I pay around $13-15 a bottle at local stores.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner

Old 03-22-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

One can purchase high-PEA additives at W*mart for a couple of dollars.

Audi/VW dealers also sell a magic potion that can be poured into the gas tank.

In reality, if you are using Top Tier gasoline, we'd hope these things aren't necessary.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for BG44K

Jason
New York
Old 03-22-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 for BG44K
Old 03-22-2018, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
One can purchase high-PEA additives at W*mart for a couple of dollars.

Audi/VW dealers also sell a magic potion that can be poured into the gas tank.

In reality, if you are using Top Tier gasoline, we'd hope these things aren't necessary.
Not necessary, sure, of course if good gas is used. That's why I only use a BG44K once or twice a year. Always on a long extended road trip where I'm driving for hours at a time.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

In the US, in the 1990's the EPA raised standards for gasoline so it all has more "detergents" and is less likely to form varnish and gums than before. The "TopTier" association, which is a voluntary membership/advertising group, is a recognition that a member's fuel meets higher standards for having detergents in it. So, as said, especially TopTier, you have less likelihood of the fuel system being gummed up.

As a separate issue you might want to check on the replacement time for the fuel filter, since those will pick up any crud that makes it into the tank, and the only way you would find out is if it clogged and reduced fuel flow. Not so crazy to change them every decade or so, as PM.(G)

An extra bottle of "cleaner" once a year certainly won't hurt the car. That's the kind of thing you can pick up when it is on sale, no urgency.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
In the US, in the 1990's the EPA raised standards for gasoline so it all has more "detergents" and is less likely to form varnish and gums than before. The "TopTier" association, which is a voluntary membership/advertising group, is a recognition that a member's fuel meets higher standards for having detergents in it. So, as said, especially TopTier, you have less likelihood of the fuel system being gummed up.

As a separate issue you might want to check on the replacement time for the fuel filter, since those will pick up any crud that makes it into the tank, and the only way you would find out is if it clogged and reduced fuel flow. Not so crazy to change them every decade or so, as PM.(G)

An extra bottle of "cleaner" once a year certainly won't hurt the car. That's the kind of thing you can pick up when it is on sale, no urgency.
HEY! I agree with everything!
BTW, does anyone know when Audi calls for a fuel filter change on the Q/SQ5?
Old 03-23-2018, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by shokhead
HEY! I agree with everything!
BTW, does anyone know when Audi calls for a fuel filter change on the Q/SQ5?
Not sure what engine you have but this is the info for the 2.0, 30,000km for spark plugs?

Last edited by Warhead; 03-23-2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: comment

Quick Reply: Fuel system cleaners