A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Left side DRL not working 2007 Audi A6 HELP please

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left side DRL not working 2007 Audi A6 HELP please

1st, I LOVE working on cars.. (and do own a VCDS kits..etc)
2nd I NEVER ask for help, until I spends hours trying to get it to work..etc.. ha ha ha.

ok, Here is what i have done. The Left side light assembly (LA) using VCDS did show a short in the system (also when i start the car is showed I had a error at left light) also the main light would not move.(but ALL lights work (Just not DRL on left side).

I took off light and looked inside and see LOTS of wires that are shorted because the outer covers of the wires are missing (I here this is a normal issue with older Audi's (like my model).I tried for hours using liquid tape to cover all the wires..and then after that.. it still didn't fix the system.

So I googled/ebay/letgo/junk yard..etc for DAYS and also found some money "after selling my newborn" j/k yes, these LIGHTS COST A LOT!!!! i bought it for $299. free shipping (but didn't come with the 2 outside modules)

so then i swapped out the used light with my broken one. put both 2 modules on the used light assembly.... and BINGO it fixed my error that showed I HAD a error with my Adaptive light (the motor did work with this "used one I bough)t.. and also doesn't show any SHORTS on VCDS) i also cleared all codes...

BUT still i don't have a working left DRL.

So then I replaced the bulb with a new one form Walmart ( :O) )... that still didnt fix the issue.

then I SWAP the right DRL bulb with the left one.. and NOPE... it didn't work.. but the RIGHT DRL still does work.

Then I looked at the part numbers of the 2 outside mods (from the right light and the left light.. saw they are the same part numbers).. and then SWAP them..... Still NO left DRL light BUT the right DRL one still works....

i even swapped the DRL bulb black adapter with the right side and it STILL didn't fix the issue... but the right side DRL still works with the parts from the "used left light kit)

then I went into the car and turned off the DRL feature and coming home and leaving home...etc to see if would just confused and still didn't fix the issue.

So i am asking for help, please, what do I do next??? i have checked for broken pins on the LA to see if anything was bent on it...but there wasn't.

here is what I HAVE NOT DONE.... is to SWAP out the WHOLE LA with right and left.. and see if the RIGHT side DRL does not work.. and the left DRL does... but iI am scared that the Audi will freak out that it has left and right lights swapped... and the HID mod some the right is a different part number. i didn't want to this until I see what you pros thinks I should do.

I also have NOT check any fuses... but why would a fuse only control ONE of the DRL??? BUT MAYBE on a Audi it does....

So guys and girls... Please help me on what I should do next....

thanks

Marco
Old 05-10-2018, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by marcop300
1st, I LOVE working on cars.. (and do own a VCDS kits..etc)
2nd I NEVER ask for help, until I spends hours trying to get it to work..etc.. ha ha ha.

ok, Here is what i have done. The Left side light assembly (LA) using VCDS did show a short in the system (also when i start the car is showed I had a error at left light) also the main light would not move.(but ALL lights work (Just not DRL on left side).

I took off light and looked inside and see LOTS of wires that are shorted because the outer covers of the wires are missing (I here this is a normal issue with older Audi's (like my model).I tried for hours using liquid tape to cover all the wires..and then after that.. it still didn't fix the system.

So I googled/ebay/letgo/junk yard..etc for DAYS and also found some money "after selling my newborn" j/k yes, these LIGHTS COST A LOT!!!! i bought it for $299. free shipping (but didn't come with the 2 outside modules)

so then i swapped out the used light with my broken one. put both 2 modules on the used light assembly.... and BINGO it fixed my error that showed I HAD a error with my Adaptive light (the motor did work with this "used one I bough)t.. and also doesn't show any SHORTS on VCDS) i also cleared all codes...

BUT still i don't have a working left DRL.

So then I replaced the bulb with a new one form Walmart ( :O) )... that still didnt fix the issue.

then I SWAP the right DRL bulb with the left one.. and NOPE... it didn't work.. but the RIGHT DRL still does work.

Then I looked at the part numbers of the 2 outside mods (from the right light and the left light.. saw they are the same part numbers).. and then SWAP them..... Still NO left DRL light BUT the right DRL one still works....

i even swapped the DRL bulb black adapter with the right side and it STILL didn't fix the issue... but the right side DRL still works with the parts from the "used left light kit)

then I went into the car and turned off the DRL feature and coming home and leaving home...etc to see if would just confused and still didn't fix the issue.

So i am asking for help, please, what do I do next??? i have checked for broken pins on the LA to see if anything was bent on it...but there wasn't.

here is what I HAVE NOT DONE.... is to SWAP out the WHOLE LA with right and left.. and see if the RIGHT side DRL does not work.. and the left DRL does... but iI am scared that the Audi will freak out that it has left and right lights swapped... and the HID mod some the right is a different part number. i didn't want to this until I see what you pros thinks I should do.

I also have NOT check any fuses... but why would a fuse only control ONE of the DRL??? BUT MAYBE on a Audi it does....

So guys and girls... Please help me on what I should do next....

thanks

Marco
Marco,

Have you checked the actual circuit to determine if there is power to the where the bulbs sits? Get yourself a tester and do that...if there's no power going to it, there's no chance it'll work.

I'd also recommend check the fuses.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I want to check the PIN out from the harness that connects to the light. But I don’t know the BIN out to see which ones is the 12v to the light. (And not pin out to the light (the Brown and white cable).

Inwill check fues and I will also swap the whole Right and Left side and see if it follow the light I just bought (I bet it’s still. It working to work). But we will see

thanks for your idea

Old 05-10-2018, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by marcop300
I want to check the PIN out from the harness that connects to the light. But I don’t know the BIN out to see which ones is the 12v to the light. (And not pin out to the light (the Brown and white cable).

Inwill check fues and I will also swap the whole Right and Left side and see if it follow the light I just bought (I bet it’s still. It working to work). But we will see

thanks for your idea

I have swap the Right (working lights) with the left side NOT working DRL side. and now the DRL is STILL NOT working on the left side. This shows that the lights do work I have no bad parts...

BUT what I do have is a Voltage/Short issue... (Thanks for my Neighbor Paul D for helping me hold my volt meter..whiles testing all the PIN out from them)
Now it's time for me to find uut what PIN is 12V for the DRL on both sides...(on/off).

Well its Pin 12 and Pin 14 is Ground.

Here is what is crazy.... when DRL lights on.. both R/L side do supply 13V when DRL is on.. BUT when DRL is off... The right side shows ZERO Volts and the Left side DRL shows 10V. (on Pin 12)I now I need to find out what is wrong.

the Ground PIN 14 is working fine... so I will now check fuses or relays if there are any.

i just can't have a Audi DRL light Win this trouble shooting battle... ha ha... "never Give up" But if I do.. I will just tell the car NOT to turn on DRL and then just deal with it.. In the USA we don't need DRLs nyway.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

got the service Manuel.. (for $15.99 :O)) and here is my voltage at these points when DRLs are on and off... hope I can find the issue soon..
Old 05-11-2018, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

well Pin 7 is ground for DRL....try measure between 12 and 7...measure both sides left/right headlights what voltages on/off?
/H
Old 05-12-2018, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hrc4u
well Pin 7 is ground for DRL....try measure between 12 and 7...measure both sides left/right headlights what voltages on/off?
/H
more crazy stuff

let side line 7-12 measure 13v with Car on and Drl option on. And 9 v with Car off. Even when key is out also even when DRL opting off

right side. 7-12. 13v with with Car on and Drl on. Off zero yes 0 volts. Like it should be.

I even made a new ground for pin 7 on left side and it still shows 9v when off.

Ive checked All fuses. Right side, left side even trunk. Lol

not looking for some relays if any. Also going to see if I can ground the Pin from ECU and see if that wire is not grounded.

Got to love trouble shooting.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

/H
more crazy stuff

left side line 7-12 measure 13v with Car on and Drl option on. And 9 v with Car off. Even when key is out also even when DRL opting off

right side. 7-12. 13v with with Car on and Drl on. Off zero yes 0 volts. Like it should be.

I even made a new ground for pin 7 on left side and it still shows 9v when off.

Ive checked All fuses. Right side, left side even trunk. Lol

not looking for some relays if any. Also going to see if I can ground the Pin from ECU and see if that wire is not grounded.

Got to love trouble shooting.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Strange . Hmm..
Did you measure the off value under a longer period of time.. Like 5 min at least?.. Audi runs lamp checks even when car is off.. That might confuse those who don't know this..
/H
Old 05-12-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Strange . Hmm..
Did you measure the off value under a longer period of time.. Like 5 min at least?.. Audi runs lamp checks even when car is off.. That might confuse those who don't know this..
/H
I did. Still 8.5-9v when off. On left side only.

But crazy right size is zero at the same time left side is 9v.

Quick Reply: Left side DRL not working 2007 Audi A6 HELP please