Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Air Conditioning issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning issues

Ordered and received a 2018 Q5 Premium Plus. No issues on the factory order. Love the car except before I got to 300 miles my air conditioning stopped working. I was unable to toggle the air conditioner to 'on'. Took it in to the dealer and was told that the refrigerant was empty. They charged it and supposedly tested everything out for leaks and such. I was also told this was probably an issue from the factory. So off I go. A week later, and about 300 hundred more miles, the air no longer works again. This time I can still toggle the air conditioner from on/off/max, but it does not blow any cold air. Car is back at the dealership. Kind of surprised and disappointed in having defects on a new car. In ALL the cars I've purchased over my lifetime this has never happened to me before. This is also my first 'luxury' vehicle. I haven't noticed any issues like this so I thought I would post it.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

It sounds like there is a leak somewhere in the system. The good news is it should be pretty simple for your dealer to find out where it is leaking from, and should be covered under warranty. The only exception I could see is if you had something like a rock puncture the condenser behind the front bumper, but with only 300 miles on the car even that could be chalked up to damage present before the car was delivered to the dealer.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by spgmes
Ordered and received a 2018 Q5 Premium Plus. No issues on the factory order. Love the car except before I got to 300 miles my air conditioning stopped working. I was unable to toggle the air conditioner to 'on'. Took it in to the dealer and was told that the refrigerant was empty. They charged it and supposedly tested everything out for leaks and such. I was also told this was probably an issue from the factory. So off I go. A week later, and about 300 hundred more miles, the air no longer works again. This time I can still toggle the air conditioner from on/off/max, but it does not blow any cold air. Car is back at the dealership. Kind of surprised and disappointed in having defects on a new car. In ALL the cars I've purchased over my lifetime this has never happened to me before. This is also my first 'luxury' vehicle. I haven't noticed any issues like this so I thought I would post it.
Yes, that was my thoughts as well. I had specifically requested they test for leaks after they informed me that it was out of Freon. They had the car 1 1/2 days so I thought they must of done that. Now that the air conditioning failed again, I am more concerned. I guess I will just have to wait to see what they find this time.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Audi AC

Yes, that was my thoughts as well. I had specifically requested they test for leaks after they informed me that it was out of Freon. They had the car 1 1/2 days so I thought they must of done that. Now that the air conditioning failed again, I am more concerned. I guess I will just have to wait to see what they find this time.
Did you ever get this figured out? My car Audi Q5 2018 did the same thing today. My AC won't come on.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, they found a AC line the needed replacing. Then they tested again and found another AC line that needed replacing. After almost a week, parts needed ordering, they finally fixed it correctly. Have not had issues since.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, they found a AC line the needed replacing. Then they tested again and found another AC line that needed replacing. After almost a week, parts needed ordering, they finally fixed it correctly. Have not had issues since.
ok thank you!
Old 09-16-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2018 Q5 prestige Air conditioning issues

Had the same issue air conditioner stopped working all of a sudden, this is on less than a year old 2018 q5 prestige...
Old 09-16-2018, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

very frustrating - mine goes to the shop Wed. so we'll see what I find out
Old 09-16-2018, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q5s now made in Mexico

Originally Posted by lstead
very frustrating - mine goes to the shop Wed. so we'll see what I find out
Neighbor of mine is a Tech for our local Audi dealer and he's said that since Audi moved production of the Q5 to Mexico they are having terrible QC issues with the new Q5 models. Initial inspections used to take an hour or so, now they can take 2-3 days with all the issues that are popping up. Why on earth did Audi chose Mexico to produce a high end model I will never understand. Should have chosen to build them in the US. I'm now having serious second thoughts on buying a new Q5 now. Such a bummer. We want to upgrade from our VW Tiguan.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

that is certainly not good to hear. I live 3 1/2 hours from the dealership, so this is extremely inconvenient. If it's not resolved, I'll have to do something different because I can't take off work several days to drive back and forth. I think they will give me a loaner, but still not handy at all. I "upgraded" from my Ford Explorer. I drove it for 5 years and never had one problem. Now I'm wondering if it was an expensive "downgrade!" I'll keep you posted!

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning issues