A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi S8 TRANSMISSION ISSUE PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S8 TRANSMISSION ISSUE PLEASE HELP

So I bought a 2003 audi s8. Before I bought the car I you know test drove it checked everything drove it for 2 days before buying (it was off craigslist) it. Car was running great **** I drove it to the Southside of san Jose and made my way to a smog shop and it passed smog flying colors. 15min after smog I got t a light and when the light turned green I went to go and the trans slipped and then it slipped again went into limb mode. How is this possible the car just passed smog 15 min ago. There is check engine light code p0730 and p0733. Incorrect gear ratio and incorrect gear ratio third gear. Anyway I want some advice I was just going to buy the parts to rebuild the trans or should I check and see if there is fluid in the trans. Will it still shift in gear if the trans is low on fluid? Please help anyone or suggestions. Thanx.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Could be a stuck pressure control valve or that stuck valve can cause other stuff to break. Low fluid usually has a few other symptoms, slow shifting to 4th, maybe slipping from a stop?
Did it shift rough, downshift rough, or freewheel-bang at all before it went into limp? Can you shut off and restart the car and not go into limp?
Old 05-20-2018, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi help

Originally Posted by jfrahm
Could be a stuck pressure control valve or that stuck valve can cause other stuff to break. Low fluid usually has a few other symptoms, slow shifting to 4th, maybe slipping from a stop?
Did it shift rough, downshift rough, or freewheel-bang at all before it went into limp? Can you shut off and restart the car and not go into limp?
So yeah if I turn the car off and back on it won't be in limb mode. When i go into drive it still wont be in limb mode until it slips again which it does bringing it to drive from park position.Like the car was driving great it wasent shifting rough or anything. I think flywheel bang then limb mode. Like this was 15 after it passed smog.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Perry Alvandipour
So yeah if I turn the car off and back on it won't be in limb mode. When i go into drive it still wont be in limb mode until it slips again which it does bringing it to drive from park position.Like the car was driving great it wasent shifting rough or anything. I think flywheel bang then limb mode. Like this was 15 after it passed smog.
yes it slips at a complete stop after driving it if it does catch.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Most likely it had a problem before you bought it.

You just didn't get it got enough on the testdrive. Coolant gets to temp in 5-8 min. Trans fluid needs way more than that. I doubt that it is low on fluid because it would slip cold it it is low. Unfortunately you will need a rebuild. I would talk to the seller because it is very possible that it was slipping before, but maybe they only drove it on a short distance.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tozoM8
You just didn't get it got enough on the testdrive. Coolant gets to temp in 5-8 min. Trans fluid needs way more than that. I doubt that it is low on fluid because it would slip cold it it is low. Unfortunately you will need a rebuild. I would talk to the seller because it is very possible that it was slipping before, but maybe they only drove it on a short distance.
I did and it does slip cold
Old 05-20-2018, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

As Gabor suggests it was probably slipping/banging sometimes before the sale, at that point it might have been saved but once the banging breaks something or blows a seal it's rebuild time. The seller might have beaten the game of russian roulette by selling it before it broke. Too bad, it's under $250 to fix when it's only the valve sticking and it hasn't broken the drum.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Perry Alvandipour
I did and it does slip cold
I'm sorry when it's cold it doesn't slips it engages but kinda has kick but as soon as it warms it doesn't engage