Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

My 2018 RS5 Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 09:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2018 RS5 Review

Specs -
Mythos Black metallic
Dynamic package
Black optic package
Fine Nappa leather package - red stitching
Bang & OlufsenŽ Sound System with 3D sound
Tinted windows all around medium
Suntek PPF entire front, doors, rocker panels, mirrors and headlights

So had the car over 2 months now. I didn't drive it really the first month, as I was just too busy, and had other cars parked behind it, etc. I did purchase out of state, and got just more than 2% off MSRP, but did have to pay shipping. At the time (1st week of April), CA dealers were asking $10k-$20k over for Black.
I just got home from round trip to vegas for 24hr trip, 275 miles each way. So driving impressions finally in full swing. The car now has 1600+ miles on it.
My past 4-5 cars have been 2016 SQ5, 2010 M3 convertible, Kia Soul (haul the pets around), and (2) F430 Ferrari's...so i have a good basis for comparing cars...i have owned probably 40 other cars over the past 30 years.
Fit and Finish are top notch on the car. Everyone who has looked at the interior is greatly impressed. The lighting, stitching, lay-out, as good as anything else out there. Stereo is good, but not as good as the B&O in the SQ5 IMO.
Engine noise is pretty awesome. Those complaining, might just be pickier than I am. After owning a Fcar, nothing in the world compares in engine sound anyway, thus I don't have much expectation as far as that is concerned.
Car drives awesome. Handling is great. I think the $15K over the S5 is $5k more than it should be, but "it is what it is". I can honestly say, for $80K+ it is a "bargain" compared to Benz pricing and BMW pricing.
the car did have a pre-sense malfunction already, which the dealer fixed, and it did not pass smog at first, because the car was too new and the sensors were not fully activated...i had to do smog in CA because it came from out of state, even though brand new.
The driving position is good, meaning you can see out of the front and rear and side mirrors well. Car is not too low, sort of just right. I will say, i can't find a real comfortable seating position. The headrests are not adjustable, and they should be! It drives me insane the "preset" setting on the radio is not the default setting. Also, I personally think Lexus navigation works better and easier to use.

The car is insanely fast. You don't feel it like a V-8, but if you are looking at the speedo, speed is instantaneous. Passengers can't help but smile or laugh when you really give it some gas. I don't think the suspension is too stiff like some other people have said. Also, those who say it lacks much emotion or soul, are being tough on the car. It does not feel like a 911 or a Fcar, but I really didn't expect it to, nor did I want that. It is a super tight, super fast GT, with a decent sized trunk, an ok back seat for the 2-3x per year it comes in handy. I do have a little rattle on the passenger side going over bumps. My buddy who has a 911 4S loved the car outside and in, and acknowledged it's just as fast, but obviously more comfortable. I really love the look of the exterior from all angles. the black on black with optic pkg and tinted windows makes the car really stand out. The valet at the Venetian immediately began asking about it. The RS definitely stands out from the S5. For me the S5 wasn't on my radar, i wanted that more aggressive look.
Overall, I am more than happy with the car, and love having a brand new model, the latest tech, 4yr warranty, that Audi fit and finish and having something a little unique from most of the stuff out there. I have owned many BMW's and considered the M2, and the M4, but a couple of friends who owned the current M3/M4 really didn't have rave reviews. And honestly the SQ5 which I bought over the Macan S, really sold me on Audi, as that was the best SUV I have ever driven.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by lamontlawyer921; 06-23-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice review, thanks.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Enjoyed your review, did you really let a valet park the car?
Old 06-23-2018, 08:06 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by lamontlawyer921
The headrests are not adjustable, and they should be! It drives me insane
Rather than quote your whole posting - this item is very annoying to me as well. For me, the drivers headrest is too far forward! I drive with the seat back almost straight vertically and it seems like the headrest is forcing my head too far forward. I cannot make it any lower nor can will it tilt back any further. I blame the "nanny state" that the US Insurance Industry has dictated this to try to preclude any "whiplash" lawsuits.

Beautiful car and very nice write up.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Rather than quote your whole posting - this item is very annoying to me as well. For me, the drivers headrest is too far forward! I drive with the seat back almost straight vertically and it seems like the headrest is forcing my head too far forward. I cannot make it any lower nor can will it tilt back any further. I blame the "nanny state" that the US Insurance Industry has dictated this to try to preclude any "whiplash" lawsuits.

Beautiful car and very nice write up.
My Challenger headrests were the same way (but too far back). I hated it, too. I felt like I was reclining when I wanted to support my head. They are adjustable on my A5. Power up and down, manual tilt/forward/back.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

BTW, also the android auto kind of sucks. Although i have no other experience with android auto in any other car, so maybe it is all the same, meaning software issue not specific to Audi. You have to go to the android auto menu everytime, you also have to "unlock" the phone every time getting into the car (i have a pixel BTW, again, not sure if different with other phones). The display looks like 1983 space invaders, the text to voice is okay, but slow. But if you have navigation up on the car, the text messages don't show up...seems crazy, why not have an immediate "overlay" like when the phone rings for texts coming through. And if you start the car, and don't at least at first pull up the android auto via the MMI and your phone, then you will not even get texts coming in after you start driving... Any "cures" for all of this???
Old 06-23-2018, 09:37 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

BTW, also the android auto kind of sucks. Although i have no other experience with android auto in any other car, so maybe it is all the same, meaning software issue not specific to Audi. You have to go to the android auto menu everytime, you also have to "unlock" the phone every time getting into the car (i have a pixel BTW, again, not sure if different with other phones). The display looks like 1983 space invaders, the text to voice is okay, but slow. But if you have navigation up on the car, the text messages don't show up...seems crazy, why not have an immediate "overlay" like when the phone rings for texts coming through. And if you start the car, and don't at least at first pull up the android auto via the MMI and your phone, then you will not even get texts coming in after you start driving... Any "cures" for all of this???
Have you tried your phone's Android Auto AutoLaunch feature?
Details here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25094424
Old 06-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

MH62, thanks! regarding resolution, should I be enabling 720i or 1080i or neither or both?
Old 06-23-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

MH62, thanks! regarding resolution, should I be enabling 720i or 1080i or neither or both?
Enable the highest, but AA uses google's minimalist design theory.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:59 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Ha, don't know, don't have my car yet. Now make yourself one of these and connecting will be even easier: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...e-too-2936132/

Quick Reply: My 2018 RS5 Review