S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

No beige or gray (light or medium) leather for S4

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No beige or gray (light or medium) leather for S4

Hello all,

Pardon my ignorance of Audi practices, but it looks like they do not offer any of the S/RS cars in any interior colors other than black, black, black, and almost black dark gray. Why is that?

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Rotor Gray is much lighter that it appears on Audi's website:

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...anyone.274962/
Old 07-20-2018, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

What do you mean? There are three color options for the 2018 S4 and S5:
  1. black
  2. light grey ("Rotor Grey")
  3. a rich but bold red ("Magma Red")
#1 and #2 can be had in either alcantara or leather, #3 can only be had in leather.

"Why" is a much harder question to answer but the answer is probably "because those are the colors we at Audi Corporate have deemed necessary to satisfy the most possible customers while still keeping production costs under control/remaining profitable and remaining market-competitive."

So while I'm sure there are people out there who'd readily purchase an S4 with a beige or brown interior, and even some who, just as they do with Audi Exclusive exterior paint colors, would happily pay extra for the ability to do so, Audi Corporate has [probably...who am I to say] conducted a market research study and determined that the number of such customers is low enough that it wouldn't offset the cost of building + maintaining that extra fork in the assembly line.

On that note, I believe it used to be possible to pay extra (on some models at least...maybe it still is but just not on S/RS models?) for an "Audi Exclusive" interior in nearly any color you wanted.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 07-20-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

If you're willing to pay for the option PLUS $3,500 you can get anything you want. Bright Yellow -- $4,750 and it's yours (in leather, not Alcantara). I've never seen an S4 that didn't have the leather option. Usually, I see either Black or Red. Of the two, mostly black. When I had the black leather (one time), I used to get into it and think "kill me now," talk about depressing. One of the guys here at my office has black on black in a BMW. Far as I know he's not Batman, I just hate riding in the thing it seems like getting into a cave.They'd have to pay me $3,500 for that. Now, once I had an S6 with the white leather interior -- it was beautiful, but it did require a lot of cleaning, especially when the passengers and I wore jeans. But when that baby was clean, wow! I had burgundy and beige in my allroad, that looked pretty too.
I have red in my last two -- probably my favorite, it doesn't show dirt, low maintenance and "everybody" compliments it.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Rotor Gray Alcantara It's mid-gray, maybe on the light side of mid gray. Not as light as the Rock Gray offered on the A4, but noticeably not black. It's a real gray.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkWayneClark
I got the Rotor Gray Alcantara It's mid-gray, maybe on the light side of mid gray. Not as light as the Rock Gray offered on the A4, but noticeably not black. It's a real gray.
Same but on the S5SB. Coming from a black Nappa interior on my B8 S4 it really makes a world of difference. Makes the car feel much more open and airy.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've never liked the heat of leather, which it seems even the most powerful AC cannot cool. For that reason, I was going to get ventilated seats. I was sorry about not getting the S seats, but I thought that given how intolerant of heat I am I had no choice. Well, several posters here said that Alcantara feels quite cool, even in places like Houston. So I changed my order. It's absolutely true. That stuff does not get hot.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've never liked the heat of leather, which it seems even the most powerful AC cannot cool. For that reason, I was going to get ventilated seats. I was sorry about not getting the S seats, but I thought that given how intolerant of heat I am I had no choice. Well, several posters here said that Alcantara feels quite cool, even in places like Houston. So I changed my order. It's absolutely true. That stuff does not get hot.
Totally. I have been singing the praises of Alcantara ever since I took delivery a year ago. With the black leather I would be soaking through a shirt in no time during the summer. That never happens with Alcantara unless it's a scorching hot day and I just refuse to roll up the windows and put on the AC. Added bonus for those hat don't live in the sun belt is that they don't get cold in the winter either. They always seem to be just right.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also actually prefer the way they look. There's something more unusual or special about them. Leather seats are everywhere.

Last edited by MarkWayneClark; 07-20-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I also actually prefer they way they look. There's something more unusual or special about them. Leather seats are everywhere.
Back in the days of the B5 S4, you had to pay extra for the Alcantara - it was considered the sportier option back then. Although if memory serves correct, they came in much bolder colors and were contrasting with the leather bolsters.

Like there

Quick Reply: No beige or gray (light or medium) leather for S4