A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

FWD, is it acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FWD, is it acceptable?

I'm new here and hoping to join the Audi ranks soon but have been dead set on B9 A4. I hope this hasn't been talk to death before and I'm not starting a war between fwd and quattro but I need some insight on this subject. I currently have a 2017 Golf Sportwagen (SEL and not 4 motion) and it has been such a fun car. I got a neuspeed power module and with VCDS took off the vibration reduction and torque limiter and now the car is much improved but it is impossible to leave a light with some power with out it completely breaking the front tires loose, I look like I'm racing and doing it on purpose. I love this car but it is no Audi, even tho I paid Audi like price. =(

I'd like to keep the better MPG of the ultra and the FWD non ultra model as this will be my "Prius" of sorts. Also, i'd love to get a P+ model and have been seeing some non quattro models in my prince range >$35K. Or should I just bite the bullet and get the premium quattro? I have a weekend car and can deal with not being a complete tool from a light but turbo torque is such a nice thing to experience.

Thanks
Ken
Old 08-11-2018, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Hip, welcome aboard! Do you experience a winter season ? Snow?
Old 08-11-2018, 08:06 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

What's your location?

I think you'll find that the consensus around here is that Audis should be quattro. I still remember the fellow with a nice scuba blue FWD who ended up disappointed with the car and traded it in after like 3-4 months; I always wonder if a quattro would have made him happier...

Also, if you are concerned about fuel economy, be careful if you are driving in heavy downtowny traffic. This car (or at least the 252HP/DSG/quattro version) basically operates as follows - aggressive gearing to get the car nicely off the line and the engine into the 1500+ RPM power band, then once you reach a steady speed, extremely conservative gearing keeping you in the <1500RPM range, with the transmission usually ready to give you a downshift if you start accelerating pretty much at all. This makes the car fabulously fuel efficient if you are going at steady speeds, but if you're in a place like downtown here with lights/stop signs every 100m, your fuel economy will be absolutely utterly dreadful (I'm talking <10 miles per US gallon here).
Old 08-11-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in SoCal, so no real weather, and my first A4 was FWD. It was fine. But if you like to step on the gas - it would absolutely have some torque steer and the traction control lights would be flashing. When I got into a quattro it was a whole new world of traction.

2-3 MPG is not worth the downgrade. If you really need it.... get a Prius. Or an e-tron if you can find one.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AWD is not only about bad weather conditions. It is an excellent safety feature as well and causes the car the handle much better too. Don't look at it from purely a geographical situation as that's not a proper way to evaluate the option.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I live in SoCal and purchased an A4 Ultra Premium Plus and have no regrets. I test drove both the quattro and ultra but didn't feel a significant difference between the two. With that said, I'm not a car enthusiast, so I just bought what made me happy at the price that made me happy (ultra was quite a bit cheaper). I recommend you do test drives like I did and then make your decision. If you like the quattro more, don't settle. If the difference is negligible to you, go with the ultra.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Front wheel,drive works just fine and in California you would be fine. There is little question that Quattro is better. In slippery conditions like snow or ice, or even water on the roadway sometimes, the Quattro is way more reliable. I have seen numerous tests that have proven that. However, Quattro does give you better grip even on dry roads. The 0-60 time of the Audi’s is a tad quicker in Quattro than FWD. And road holding is better too. I lobe the Quattro and Audi’s in particular.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oops. Sorry I live so cal, and this car will never see snow. Commuting only but I do like to use the gas pedal from a light or two.

I thought would be happy with a top of the line golf but I was wrong. Even at Audi prices, it’s still no Audi and I while I love all the bells and whistles of my golf (I have the one where it will do parallel parking for you, adaptive cruise, lane assist, his, etc) it’s still looks like the $20k base golf wagon.

I fell in love with the b9 when my friend bought a new rs3 and while waiting I was sitting in a base a4. I’m hoping to buy used and this will limit the car that I am willing to buy from them (most dealers only have one or two b9’s) and I know this leads to buying a new Quattro p+ vs the used $30k base model I was looking at.

Ken

p.s. Driving my friends rs3 makes me really want an Audi even more too.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

When I had the P+ Ultra loaner, with my typical driving style there was a lot of wheel spin and wheel torque, so I had to adjust my throttle... Quattro keeps it on its feet no matter how much I floor it.

Fuel economy was averaging 27-29 mpg compared to Quattro 24-25 mpg. I know that personally I would never get FWD Audi anymore.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are in SoCal, you will be perfectly fine with FWD. It's a smart choice. You save on the sticker price and on mpg's for the life of the car. That is a lot of savings when totaled up. You will also find a far wider selection to choose from, as Audi knows the average West Coast buyer wants FWD. Drive normally (traffic and commuting) like most do, and you will have yourself a very nice package.

Quick Reply: FWD, is it acceptable?