Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 s5 sportback android auto disconnects

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 s5 sportback android auto disconnects

I use a Samsung Galaxy S9+ with Android Auto in my 2018 S5 Sportback that I bought last June, 2017. I bought a high quality USB cable to plug the S9's new port and the USB port inside the center armrest. I have a fairly short 20 minute commute during which time the phone repeatedly disconnects causing the MMI to put up the message saying that there is nothing connected to the interface. I don't do anything since I'm almost always driving when this happens which makes it difficult and dangerous to try to see if the USB cable is plugged in snugly. After about 30 seconds or so the phone reconnects and I can go back to listening to music on Spotify or Amazon, etc. But again after a few minutes the phone disconnects and then reconnects. This is obviously very annoying and it makes the Android Auto interface completely useless, especially in a critical situations such as using it during heavy traffic, etc.

My first guess to troubleshooting this was to make sure the USB cable is firmly plugged into the phone and the USB port. I also support the phone inside the armrest so it wouldn't bounce around possibly loosening the connection. When the phone loses the Android auto connection I can see that the phone is still being charged which seems to indicate that the cable connection is fine and that it's some sort of software glich that is causing the phone to constantly disconnect and reconnect.

So my question is has anyone else had a problem like this and if so, what, if anything, did you do about it?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2018, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mas6700
I use a Samsung Galaxy S9+ with Android Auto in my 2018 S5 Sportback that I bought last June, 2017. I bought a high quality USB cable to plug the S9's new port and the USB port inside the center armrest. I have a fairly short 20 minute commute during which time the phone repeatedly disconnects causing the MMI to put up the message saying that there is nothing connected to the interface. I don't do anything since I'm almost always driving when this happens which makes it difficult and dangerous to try to see if the USB cable is plugged in snugly. After about 30 seconds or so the phone reconnects and I can go back to listening to music on Spotify or Amazon, etc. But again after a few minutes the phone disconnects and then reconnects. This is obviously very annoying and it makes the Android Auto interface completely useless, especially in a critical situations such as using it during heavy traffic, etc.

My first guess to troubleshooting this was to make sure the USB cable is firmly plugged into the phone and the USB port. I also support the phone inside the armrest so it wouldn't bounce around possibly loosening the connection. When the phone loses the Android auto connection I can see that the phone is still being charged which seems to indicate that the cable connection is fine and that it's some sort of software glich that is causing the phone to constantly disconnect and reconnect.

So my question is has anyone else had a problem like this and if so, what, if anything, did you do about it?

Thanks
If you want to grab an Android phone bug report after it disconnects and send it to me, I can get it to the "right place" to figure out what's going on. LMK if you need help in figuring out how to generate a bug report.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Sign of a low quality cable. The only one that works for me is a *REAL* Samsung usbc cable (not one of the fakes they sell on Amazon)

I have heard there are good cables on Amazon, but I have not found one that I can recommend.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
If you want to grab an Android phone bug report after it disconnects and send it to me, I can get it to the "right place" to figure out what's going on. LMK if you need help in figuring out how to generate a bug report.
Thank you. I Googled 'android auto bug report' and didn't see anything that describes how to generate one. So yes, I could use advice on how to generate some sort of 'debug' output that could be used to figure what is going on regarding why the phone is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting. Your help is greatly appreciated .
Old 08-18-2018, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Sign of a low quality cable. The only one that works for me is a *REAL* Samsung usbc cable (not one of the fakes they sell on Amazon)

I have heard there are good cables on Amazon, but I have not found one that I can recommend.
When I first got the car and tried using Android Auto, the first USB cable I tried didn't work at all. I read that you need a high quality cable so I got these:

Amazon Amazon

They work but as I've said the phone constantly disconnects and reconnects. I will try using one of the short cables that came with the phone to see if the problem continues. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mas6700
When I first got the car and tried using Android Auto, the first USB cable I tried didn't work at all. I read that you need a high quality cable so I got these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work but as I've said the phone constantly disconnects and reconnects. I will try using one of the short cables that came with the phone to see if the problem continues. Thanks.
The official FAQ for cables that work well is here, I think the one you got is on the list. I use Ankur Powerline cables and they've always worked great. https://productforums.google.com/for...20USB$20cables

As for bug reports for Android Auto, first in the Android Auto app:
  • Tap the hamburger menu (top left) → About
  • Tap the ‘About Android Auto’ title text (top left) 10 times to enable Developer mode
  • From the 3-dot menu (top right), select Developer settings and check the “Force Logging” box
In your device’s settings (these might be a little differently labelled on your S9):
  • Settings → System → About phone → Tap on the Build number 10 times until you see “You are now a developer”
  • Tap the back button once and choose Developer options, and set the following:
    • USB debugging: On
    • Bug report shortcut: On
    • Logger buffer sizes: 1MB or 4MB
To capture a bug report at any time: Hold down your phone’s power button → Select “Take bug report” → Wait for the bug report notification (can take up to 2 minutes) → Share the bug report to email (I'll PM you my email address, don't attach a bug report to the forum as it can have personal info from your phone in the report).

Old 08-18-2018, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

It's your cable. I had the same issue, replaced cable and no more issues. I'm using these:
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-18-2018, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I use these with no problems
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-19-2018, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
The official FAQ for cables that work well is here, I think the one you got is on the list. I use Ankur Powerline cables and they've always worked great. https://productforums.google.com/for...20USB$20cables

As for bug reports for Android Auto, first in the Android Auto app:
  • Tap the hamburger menu (top left) → About
  • Tap the ‘About Android Auto’ title text (top left) 10 times to enable Developer mode
  • From the 3-dot menu (top right), select Developer settings and check the “Force Logging” box
In your device’s settings (these might be a little differently labelled on your S9):
  • Settings → System → About phone → Tap on the Build number 10 times until you see “You are now a developer”
  • Tap the back button once and choose Developer options, and set the following:
    • USB debugging: On
    • Bug report shortcut: On
    • Logger buffer sizes: 1MB or 4MB
To capture a bug report at any time: Hold down your phone’s power button → Select “Take bug report” → Wait for the bug report notification (can take up to 2 minutes) → Share the bug report to email (I'll PM you my email address, don't attach a bug report to the forum as it can have personal info from your phone in the report).
Thank you very much for the info. The next time this happens on the way home I will pull over and see if I can generate a bug report. I'm curious to know what else it talks about. I will also get some new USB cables.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Thank you very much for the tip. They've been ordered.

Quick Reply: 2018 s5 sportback android auto disconnects