Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2019 A5 Cabriolet on order with a lingering doubt

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 A5 Cabriolet on order with a lingering doubt

I have a 2019 A5 Cabriolet Prestige on order. I have asked multiple question in this forum about the suspension and I appreciate the feedback provided. Of course, I test drove a 2018 but I always find that when I test drive a potential new car, I usually don’t feel completely satisfied that the test drive answers the lingering questions I might have. After all, most test drives are limited in nature. I initially ordered the vehicle as a 2018 with the adaptive suspension. Later the dealer was told that Audi would not be able to fulfill the order as a 2018 and therefore I needed to change it to a 2019. Of course, there were changes in what was available as a 2019 versus a 2018 and one of them is that the adaptive suspension is no longer available. So… I changed the order to be the standard suspension with the 18 inch all-season tires. Here is my latest request for those of you out there with a 2018 A5 Cabriolet or Coupe with the standard suspension: how do you like it, especially the handling and do you regret not ordering the sport suspension? Thank you in advance for any feedback you can provide!
Old 08-19-2018, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sanfordrich
I have a 2019 A5 Cabriolet Prestige on order. I have asked multiple question in this forum about the suspension and I appreciate the feedback provided. Of course, I test drove a 2018 but I always find that when I test drive a potential new car, I usually don’t feel completely satisfied that the test drive answers the lingering questions I might have. After all, most test drives are limited in nature. I initially ordered the vehicle as a 2018 with the adaptive suspension. Later the dealer was told that Audi would not be able to fulfill the order as a 2018 and therefore I needed to change it to a 2019. Of course, there were changes in what was available as a 2019 versus a 2018 and one of them is that the adaptive suspension is no longer available. So… I changed the order to be the standard suspension with the 18 inch all-season tires. Here is my latest request for those of you out there with a 2018 A5 Cabriolet or Coupe with the standard suspension: how do you like it, especially the handling and do you regret not ordering the sport suspension? Thank you in advance for any feedback you can provide!
How did you get them to place it? My dealer took my deposit and says they don’t have an allocation yet for a 19 Cabriolet. What dealee did you use?
Old 08-20-2018, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by troybarwick

How did you get them to place it? My dealer took my deposit and says they don’t have an allocation yet for a 19 Cabriolet. What dealee did you use?
Maybe they were able to put in the order because I originally ordered a 2018 and somehow they were able to use that allocation. I negotiated a price for the 2018 and my salesman claims they will honor that price but then I get the feeling he is hedging a little bit. He certainly gave me the impression that they were able to go into their systems and specify exactly the way I wanted it. On the other hand, he said they are not in a position to allow me to track it through the "owners in waiting" program (I think that's what it is called) yet. So I'm a little suspect about whether all is copacetic. We will see. I'd prefer not to identify the dealer at this time because of all the uncertainties, but I live in Colorado.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The adaptive suspension will be softer and firmer than the standard suspension depending on your setting, one nice thing about the adaptive suspension is that they are also self adjusting. I usually ride in comfort mode in the city and dynamic mode on the highway. Considering the price, it well worth the money for this option, a borderline deal breaker for me now since I have had it for 4 months and like the system so much. Its a very nice suspension setup, almost Mercedes like in comfort and more like the S5 of old with sport suspension when in dynamic mode. The best of both world one might say.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My original order was for a 2018 A5 Cabriolet that included the adaptive suspension. After my order was entered and I was actually part of the "owner in waiting" program, Audi came back to my dealer and said the order had to be changed to be a 2019 A5 Cabriolet. That meant only the options available for a 2019 were relevant and for 2019 they removed the adaptive suspension as an option (again, on an A5, not a S5). Therefore, I am interested in hearing from any 2018 A5 Cabriolet or Coupe owners with the regular suspension since that is what I have ordered. On the other hand, I'm happy you are satisfied with the adaptive suspension. I still wish that was an option for me.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want a sporty feel, I'd cancel my order and search for a CPO 2018. This is a lot of money to pay for a car you might regret every day.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by emacS5
If you want a sporty feel, I'd cancel my order and search for a CPO 2018. This is a lot of money to pay for a car you might regret every day.
Thank you for your feedback. I understand your point but there are other attributes I want that are not readily available in the 2018 A5 Cabriolets that are on the dealer lots. I am pretty sure the A5 with the standard suspension will be sporty enough for me but I guess there is a lingering doubt. Therefore, does anyone that reads this forum own an 2018 A5 Cabriolet or coupe with a standard suspension? Are you happy or do you wish you had the sport suspension? Are there any of you out there with the sport suspension that wish you had the standard suspension? Just curious.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you happy or do you wish you had the sport suspension?
I know what you're trying to get at, but you're asking strangers on the internet a purely subjective question that is totally dependent on their preference and where/how they drive. Test drive the car in a manner you would normally drive on roads you would normally drive. Only you can answer your question.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for your feedback. I understand your point but there are other attributes I want that are not readily available in the 2018 A5 Cabriolets that are on the dealer lots. I am pretty sure the A5 with the standard suspension will be sporty enough for me but I guess there is a lingering doubt. Therefore, does anyone that reads this forum own an 2018 A5 Cabriolet or coupe with a standard suspension? Are you happy or do you wish you had the sport suspension? Are there any of you out there with the sport suspension that wish you had the standard suspension? Just curious.
When I went shopping for an A5 SB, I was very sure I wanted the base suspension. I had a 2002 A6 4.2 with sport suspension and it was great in the summer, but too harsh in the winter. I went to the dealer and drove an SB with summer wheels and the sport suspension to confirm my decision and decided I really liked it. Not harsh at all. Use comfort mode if you want to feel cushy. I bought a SB with the 19” design line wheels and sport suspension and couldn’t be happier with it.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Agree. Getting the same price for a 19 without adaptive is a rip-off.

Originally Posted by emacS5
OTOH, try upgrading to S5 for same price!,,,

Quick Reply: 2019 A5 Cabriolet on order with a lingering doubt