Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Recommended inflation pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Recommended inflation pressure?

Anyone know the recommended inflation pressure for 255/55R18 tires on the SQ5? Just put the winter wheels on today.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Check owners manual it’s all listed there. I think as I recall it it’s around 34 front and 32 rear or somewhere like that.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Benzie
Anyone know the recommended inflation pressure for 255/55R18 tires on the SQ5? Just put the winter wheels on today.
Check the manual p.337. The SQ is only listed for the 20 and 21's. The Q is listed for the 18, 19 & 20. The overlap, at the 20 size is different for each car. And by the way, they don't even show a 255 in the 18" size - only a 235.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The recommended tire pressure is on a sticker on the drivers side door sill usually or inside the glove box if I'm not mistaken.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JonnyRotten
The recommended tire pressure is on a sticker on the drivers side door sill usually or inside the glove box if I'm not mistaken.
I believe that sticker is for recommended max pressure. Audi's manual shows different pressures for lightly loaded and fully loaded cars - almost a 10% difference between the two.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ronsal
I believe that sticker is for recommended max pressure. Audi's manual shows different pressures for lightly loaded and fully loaded cars - almost a 10% difference between the two.
I know that I've referred to that sticker for all of my tire pressures in my cars and I'm almost sure it gives both recommended and maximum.
I don't have my Q7 any more otherwise I'd go and check.
Personally I've never referred to the manual for tire pressure so I can't say what info is there.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JonnyRotten
I know that I've referred to that sticker for all of my tire pressures in my cars and I'm almost sure it gives both recommended and maximum.
I don't have my Q7 any more otherwise I'd go and check.
Personally I've never referred to the manual for tire pressure so I can't say what info is there.
Truth be told, it really is a range. There is no magic single air pressure. And different tires even within the same categories will respond differently to the same air pressure. On my Q, the Audi recommend felt a tad squishy. The max felt hard. I split the difference, and Voila, perfecto. As an aside, I have never had a car that has such good suspension that those small changes in air translate into such different feels --- I like it, I like it!! lol

My door sticker has only one set of pressures. Since you are in Canada, there might be a different requirement on the door sticker
Old 10-14-2018, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. The sticker on the door does have a range....but not for my size tire....owner's manual also does not have my size tire listed. Internet search got me nowhere either, so I posted the question here. I bought the tire/wheel package from Tirerack.com and they were shipped with 31psi. This seems sort of in line with the manual which lists the 18" tire range at 29 - 38 depending on load and front to rear, but as others noted those pressures are for the Q5, not the S, and not for my 255/55 proportions. I will update as I find more info.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies. The sticker on the door does have a range....but not for my size tire....owner's manual also does not have my size tire listed. Internet search got me nowhere either, so I posted the question here. I bought the tire/wheel package from Tirerack.com and they were shipped with 31psi. This seems sort of in line with the manual which lists the 18" tire range at 29 - 38 depending on load and front to rear, but as others noted those pressures are for the Q5, not the S, and not for my 255/55 proportions. I will update as I find more info.
Which package did you get?? I'm thinking about winters........

Old 10-14-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ronsal
Truth be told, it really is a range. There is no magic single air pressure. And different tires even within the same categories will respond differently to the same air pressure. On my Q, the Audi recommend felt a tad squishy. The max felt hard. I split the difference, and Voila, perfecto. As an aside, I have never had a car that has such good suspension that those small changes in air translate into such different feels --- I like it, I like it!! lol

My door sticker has only one set of pressures. Since you are in Canada, there might be a different requirement on the door sticker
See this is what I love about this forum.
Lots of great information and feedback from all kinds of great people.
I wish you could like the posts people put on the forum. I have been on others that you can and it's a nice way of giving feedback without having to respond every time.
Thanks for the response @ronsal

Quick Reply: Recommended inflation pressure?