Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Rear seat headrest

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear seat headrest

In my opinion there is a design flaw with the rear seats. You need to remove the rear headrests, not easy, in order to fold the rear seats down. Or I need to move my front seats 6in forward to avoid the rear headests from hitting my front seats. This is the first vehicle I’ve owned with this issue.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Malkiy
In my opinion there is a design flaw with the rear seats. You need to remove the rear headrests, not easy, in order to fold the rear seats down. Or I need to move my front seats 6in forward to avoid the rear headests from hitting my front seats. This is the first vehicle I’ve owned with this issue.

this is caused by the ridicules NA over sized headrest. In other parts of the word you get the two outside headrests same as the middle one. Not sure if it’s by some stupid USA law or what but unfortunately this is the problem​​​​​​.

same law as the stupid side markers or red turn indecators. USA just loves to be difficult.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if it’s possible to order those non-USA headrests.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

My 2002 allroad had the same issue. Not a huge deal to move the front seats forward a little, as long as the seat position is stored in one of the two memory buttons, all you need to do then is press and hold the memory button until the seat moves back. Depending on how you feel about whiplash the inconvenience is worth it or not, I guess.
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusr...article/40/2/1
So now that everyone's heads are being shot forward whenever they get rear-ended, I wonder if they're doing a study on how many more broken noses there are.

Last edited by Benzie; 10-17-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Badger56
I wonder if it’s possible to order those non-USA headrests.
i believe europrice has them brand new.
I purchased a decent used set that fits off ebay. not sure why the photo shows a difference in color - never noticed this in person. Shape may be slightly different as well but definitely makes a difference looking in the rearview mirror.

Last edited by userbbc; 10-17-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Believe it or not it's much easier to remove the headrests in the '18 than in the first gen Q5--you couldn't get those out with dynamite. The new ones are just finicky; no idea why it even has to be that hard.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you slide the rear bottoms as far towards the rear as possible. The rear seats can be adjusted front to rear
Old 10-17-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah europrice has a the full set for 600.

About what I expected they'd be. Sadly I have nougat brown and all the ones on eBay are black or beige leaving me two options- brand new or used and recover at a local shop. Probably would come out to the same either way
Old 10-17-2018, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

I agree as it is a pain in the ***. But on my last car a 2017 Acura RDS and my wife's 2017 X3 are the same way. It's all fine is you don't put the seat back to far, but that don't work for me.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raaizin
Have you slide the rear bottoms as far towards the rear as possible. The rear seats can be adjusted front to rear

Yep, rear seats are adjusted as far back as possible.

Thanks for the info about europrice. I’m probably going to buy from there. $800 is expensive for headrests though.

Quick Reply: Rear seat headrest