A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of New (used) Winter Wheels & Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 04:06 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Pics of New (used) Winter Wheels & Tires

I decided our Western PA winters can take a toll, so I downsized to 19" rims for skidding on ice and snow. I went from the 20" 5 Double Spoke wheels (signature pic) that come with the Sport Package (265/40R/20) to a slightly larger sidewall (255/45R/19) OEM 10 Y-Spoke wheels with Continental TS810S tires. These OEM rims with their offset look as good as the 20's.

These are certainly smoother, and turn-in is noticeably easier. I didn't buy these to push them hard so no report here on cornering prowess! The red arrow points ot the 1-1/2" road rash scrape, otherwise the other 3 rims look like they have been sitting in a showroom.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good. I should be going down from 21 inch alloys with summer tyres to 17 inch alloys with winter tyres in the next week or so. Should be a laugh to see what the car looks like with such small wheels on for winter.. I'll report back with pictures when they're on so you can mock me. On the plus side, ride should be buttery smooth.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:42 AM
D4 in PA

Originally Posted by davey_b
Looks good. I should be going down from 21 inch alloys with summer tyres to 17 inch alloys with winter tyres in the next week or so. Should be a laugh to see what the car looks like with such small wheels on for winter.. I'll report back with pictures when they're on so you can mock me. On the plus side, ride should be buttery smooth.
21 to 17 ??
why not just put a used Prius at each wheel?
Old 11-13-2018, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
21 to 17 ??
why not just put a used Prius at each wheel?
Aye, I know but I wouldn't have put 21 inch wheels on it myself, I bought it like that. I'll see how they go with 17 and may change them next year if I hate them
Old 11-13-2018, 09:10 AM
D4 in PA

Aye, I know but I wouldn't have put 21 inch wheels on it myself, I bought it like that. I'll see how they go with 17 and may change them next year if I hate them
I must admit going from 20 to 19, in the 15 miles I've driven, certainly rides smoother. On 17's it might not feel like you are moving at all!
Old 11-13-2018, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I must admit going from 20 to 19, in the 15 miles I've driven, certainly rides smoother. On 17's it might not feel like you are moving at all!
I'll take that. I have Lane assist and adaptive cruise control so reckon I could have a wee sleep on the way to work in the morning 😁
Old 11-21-2018, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

So here's my before and after with 21 inch summer rims and 17 inch winter on the car. Yeah it doesn't look as good but my goodness is it smoother to drive. Seriously thinking about selling my 21 inch wheels and getting 19 inch ones for next summer.

Last edited by davey_b; 11-21-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:09 AM
D4 in PA

So here's my before and after with 21 inch summer rims and 17 inch winter on the car. Yeah it doesn't look as good but my goodness is it smoother to drive. Seriously thinking about selling my 21 inch wheels and getting 19 inch ones for next summer.
Those look good.... not nearly (as bad as) what I pictured when you described what you were doing! Nice find.

I'm having the same thoughts regarding going from my 20's to the 19's permanently... The ride has really smoothed out, and since I'm not pretending to be Ayrton Senna on the back roads, I can still have loads of fun when it's called for. It's amazing how much that extra bit of sidewall absorbs the road imperfections.

Coincidentally, it snowed and sleeted here the day after I put the snows on..... got to track straight through some big puddles and squishy slush.... SO glad I got these.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Those look good.... not nearly (as bad as) what I pictured when you described what you were doing! Nice find.

I'm having the same thoughts regarding going from my 20's to the 19's permanently... The ride has really smoothed out, and since I'm not pretending to be Ayrton Senna on the back roads, I can still have loads of fun when it's called for. It's amazing how much that extra bit of sidewall absorbs the road imperfections.

Coincidentally, it snowed and sleeted here the day after I put the snows on..... got to track straight through some big puddles and squishy slush.... SO glad I got these.
Cheers bud, appreciate the positive comments as I wasn't too sure myself. I'm not that bothered about big rims, I would rather look classy than like a drug dealer!

Got those rims for £200 ($255) and refurbed them myself probably spending about £80 in stuff to do that. I got Goodyear UltraGrip Performance GEN-1 which were £140 a corner so all in it has cost me £840 ($1075). I was having a look earlier for 19" rims and I reckon I could pick up a set of Audi ones that need a refurb for £300. I'll need to have a think about how much I would sell my 21" wheels for, should get enough to cover the cost of 19" rims and tyres I would think. They're still in mint condition.

With regards to rallying the car and wheels. I'm actually not sure that large rims are better for that. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but stuff like formula 1 cars have large sidewalls on them and at the end of the day you have the same (or there about) circumference once you put the right rubber on.

No snow here yet but it is cold and we will likely get some over the next couple of months.

Last edited by davey_b; 11-21-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:20 AM
D4 in PA

With regards to rallying the car and wheels. I'm actually not sure that large rims are better for that. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but stuff like formula 1 cars have large sidewalls on them and at the end of the day you have the same (or there about) circumference once you put the right rubber on.
Apples to Oranges comparison for us since the unsprung weight of an F1 car is about 1/3 the total weight of our luxo-barges. But you are right...their sidewalls are massive compared to ours

Still, it is fun to pretend to be Senna flicking through the gears on a twisty back road....... I even do it on my Goldwing!

Quick Reply: Pics of New (used) Winter Wheels & Tires