A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Has anyone bored/stroked their a4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone bored/stroked their a4?

I have googled and found nothing. Is it possible or are the cars still to new for people to break their warranties?

just bought my Audi after driving a mustang for 10 years.

Thank you,
Jason
Old 11-16-2018, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you talking about void the warranty?

If you do something that audi doesn't approve of then yes you can avoid the warranty.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:25 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

The EA888 family has a long history, including in things like GTIs that might be modded more frequently, so I suspect there's someone somewhere who has looked at just about every type of mod for those engines, at least for the earlier generations.

That being said, with turbo engines, I suspect the most popular mod is a tune, e.g. from APR.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-17-2018, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ja4sin
I have googled and found nothing. Is it possible or are the cars still to new for people to break their warranties?

just bought my Audi after driving a mustang for 10 years.

Thank you,
Jason
That seems like a way more difficult way to get more power out of a 2.0t engine. The way most people go about this is with a tune and then bigger turbos. APR has several levels of tune to accomplish this. And yes, you’d most certainly void the warranty doing so, so more often than not people modding their engines have older gen Audis or VWs.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

The purpose of boring and stroking an engine (besides the fun of tearing it down and reassembling) is to increase the displacement to process more air-fuel mixture. This is much more easily accomplished on a forced induction engine by a tune or a larger turbocharger and the gains are much greater than you would ever get by a simple bore/stroke increase. Also, all new engine cylinders have a very highly engineered crosshatch honing to control oil consumption. It is unlikely that any non-OEM shop could match this crosshatch.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by R8ready
Are you talking about void the warranty?

If you do something that audi doesn't approve of then yes you can avoid the warranty.
yeah I figured it would void the warranty. I wonder if that's why people aren't doing it.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
The purpose of boring and stroking an engine (besides the fun of tearing it down and reassembling) is to increase the displacement to process more air-fuel mixture. This is much more easily accomplished on a forced induction engine by a tune or a larger turbocharger and the gains are much greater than you would ever get by a simple bore/stroke increase. Also, all new engine cylinders have a very highly engineered crosshatch honing to control oil consumption. It is unlikely that any non-OEM shop could match this crosshatch.
increased displacement would also improve the low end torque as well which I believe is difficult to do with just turbos
Old 11-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I mean I know a bigger turbo will improve low end but you also get turbo lag. There is also only so much psi an engine can handle I would assume.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Ja4sin
I mean I know a bigger turbo will improve low end but you also get turbo lag. There is also only so much psi an engine can handle I would assume.
I don't know about the E888 but older Audi engines like the 5 cyl 2.2l could easily double the boost (from 14 psi to 28 psi) and live long, happy lives. Those cars had manual tranny's and first gear was a little weak so you could not drop the clutch without slowly doing damage to the cogs. I suspect the B9 DSG tranny will also have problems handling large increases in torque. Someone on line here can probably comment on the torque handling capacity of the DSG.

Quick Reply: Has anyone bored/stroked their a4?