Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Dash camera and WiFi, in parking mode...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Dash camera and WiFi, in parking mode...

So, I installed a blackvue dash camera system and I’m puzzled: when the car is in parking mode, how would the warning messages reach me over the cloud in real time if the WiFi’s car is asleep with the car, when I’m parking mode? Did I miss anything?
Old 12-09-2018, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

They won't
Old 12-09-2018, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

If your BlackVue Cam is like mine, you can connect to 3 different WiFi networks. I have my home network, I can see what the cam sees in the garage but also see what’s on the cam sd card. The car network, I can log in and see where the car is and what the cam sees. Work network while parked, I’ll receive notices if car is hit.​​​​​,
Old 12-09-2018, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NJS5
If your BlackVue Cam is like mine, you can connect to 3 different WiFi networks. I have my home network, I can see what the cam sees in the garage but also see what’s on the cam sd card. The car network, I can log in and see where the car is and what the cam sees. Work network while parked, I’ll receive notices if car is hit.​​​​​,
Yes, I have been doing that too. In the garage it does pick my home network, which it helps making it easier while reviewing. But still, this camera is not really connected, it needs to have its own LTE card, like the owl dash cam, because our car’s WiFi’s is not very helpful it this instance.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I use a WiFi hotspot separate from the car, connected to a BlackVue backup battery.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked
I use a WiFi hotspot separate from the car, connected to a BlackVue backup battery.
...very interesting. Could you please elaborate? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 12-10-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, I figured to use a spare iPhone as portable WiFi... can anybody tell me whether 15gb of data would suffice for that task?
Old 12-10-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

You're basically doing the same thing I am then...
Spare phone with WiFi hotspot - and I only have 10GBs on it...
So unless you are basically sitting and watching your car all day, every day - it should be fine.

Originally Posted by Abtpl
Ok, I figured to use a spare iPhone as portable WiFi... can anybody tell me whether 15gb of data would suffice for that task?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Thes6isWicked
You're basically doing the same thing I am then...
Spare phone with WiFi hotspot - and I only have 10GBs on it...
So unless you are basically sitting and watching your car all day, every day - it should be fine.

That sounds promising, thank you for confirming. Definitely I won’t be watching for no reason, but just a peace of mind...
Old 12-10-2018, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Abtpl

That sounds promising, thank you for confirming. Definitely I won’t be watching for no reason, but just a peace of mind...
while cool to have a live feed at all times, how much do you pay for that hotpot for the convenience of logging in to your dash cam while parked anyway?

Quick Reply: Dash camera and WiFi, in parking mode...