A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RedLine 5W-40 For Audi A8 4.0T

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation RedLine 5W-40 For Audi A8 4.0T

I am pretty sure this topic must have been discussed or bought up few times already, its not like I didn't research I did do it but there were too many post but not many towards A8.
Anyway I got A8 4.0 2017 Model and I am due for my 30K service, so bought RedLine 5W-40 oil its ester based oil with Group V base stock, after recieving the oil I opened one of the bottle and checked the viscosity it is thick and very different compare to all oils I have ever seen. I also got Mercedes GL550 in which I have always been using Mobil1 0W-40 even that oil quality and texture was way below than Redline. Anyway I did do lot of research on Redline and everyone has good things to say about, but in the same group as usual there are few who got bad saying about this oil, some said its Ester Based so its not good for seals because it swells the seals and it might leak or so and some said being it too heavy in viscocity it would do harm to engine, and some said you see MPG drop when using this oil as this is a race oil it is not recommended for daily drivers.

So the main ask is, if anybody has used Redline in their A8 recently would they recommend going with it especially 5w-40 and my only concern is that it says on the bottle suitable for VW/Audi 500.00/501.01/ 502.00/505.00/505.01 which I know goes in Audi's but it says suitable not approved, and then it goes on saying Recommended for API SN/SM/SL/CF and ACEA A3/B3/B4.
Redline also got different 5W40 Euro Series and it got different base stock oil which got Audi approval, but when I called the company they said it should be totally fine with regular 5W-40.

https://www.redlineoil.com/5w40-motor-oil

Please advise what you guys think about it.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2018, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Redline makes good products.

Is your car under warranty?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes the Car is still under warranty...
Old 12-13-2018, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You would give them an opportunity to void you warranty should you have an oil-related issue.

Do you want to use this RL oil once the warranty is wrapped up? Just stick with compliant oils for the time being?

I've never seen RL on an VAG-approved list.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

RedLine did get the approval for their Performance series oils to be used in Audi\VW its on their website but its totally different category.

And also just spoke with Redline again in Technical dept, and they guy said it should be completely fine. As I already bought the oil I will take it to the dealership and see what they say about it, and if they are ok with the Oil then I will go ahead, else I will use Mobil1 0W-40 or Liqui Moly if I could get it by Saturday which is on the Audi Approved oil list.

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-1.22.2018.pdf
Old 12-13-2018, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you are in the USA, you can ride to W*mart this afternoon and purchase Mobil 1 0W40. This is what many of us do cuz it's so simple That 5qt jug of M1 can often be found in the store for $22.xx. There's just no thinking required on this, IMO, as that is an outstanding oil and is compliant.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:15 PM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
If you are in the USA, you can ride to W*mart this afternoon and purchase Mobil 1 0W40. This is what many of us do cuz it's so simple That 5qt jug of M1 can often be found in the store for $22.xx. There's just no thinking required on this, IMO, as that is an outstanding oil and is compliant.
Plus, there is a certain Je Na Sais Quoi when cavorting around a Walmarts parking lot in your A8.
Or, if you are like me, you take your 2006 Odyssey minivan with 235,000+ miles to Walmart...
Old 12-13-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL, yeah, I can't say I've seen an A8 at W*mart.

Regardless, the oil (or the Castrol version) can be ordered via Amazon for pretty much the same $$.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
LOL, yeah, I can't say I've seen an A8 at W*mart.

Regardless, the oil (or the Castrol version) can be ordered via Amazon for pretty much the same $$.
I am surprise very few people knows about RedLine. Anyway will get to know on Saturday what SA says.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamszalone
I am surprise very few people knows about RedLine. Anyway will get to know on Saturday what SA says.
I would not do this/use this for an Audi under warranty unless specifically 502 approved. Said bluntly, it isn't worth any paper it won't even be written on what an SA says, or for that matter a service tech or even a service dep't mngr or dealership owner. Reason is Audi USA signs off on all big warranty claims, and anyone at dealership is powerless when/if the nightmare scenarios come up. A lot of stuff used to sail through, but not any more. On last several items I had under warranty that were big $$, it was clear local service advisor was not "checking with corporate" but apparently had to. With the TDI fraud and follow on debacle a lot has changed in the past couple of years on the warranty side, and they are trying to squeeze out cost any way they can.

On 4.0T's specifically, there are unexplained turbo blows, some at higher miles, some quite low and well within warranty. There are several theories as to why, some of which may involve oil or errors during oil changes. Running price if not warrantied is apparently about $9 grand for the new replacement turbo set that gets installed + labor. Or, said another way, about 100x the oil cost. Word also is when there is any doubt on the service history, the oil may even go out for analysis. You are only required to follow the 502 or 504 spec, as opposed to use dealer provided oil or changes. The dealer oil (Castrol Professional) also has a uV dye in it from what I understand.

Quick Reply: RedLine 5W-40 For Audi A8 4.0T