TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

How to Disable DRL Wink with front turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How to Disable DRL Wink with front turn signal

Does anyone know the coding to disable the "Wink" on the TT's day time running lights (DRL) when using the front turn signals?
ie. when light switch is '0', with DRL on, and turn signal on, I want to keep the DRL on the turn signal side. By default, DRL on the side with the front turn signal automatically turns off.

Thank you

Last edited by StraySheep; 01-08-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm curious about why you'd want to disable this feature...surely, disabling the headlight when the turn signal is blinking makes the turn signal more visible, true? The more people that see your turn signal provides you with a level of safety, in my opinion.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe cuz it looks cool🤔

Originally Posted by VGM911
I'm curious about why you'd want to disable this feature...surely, disabling the headlight when the turn signal is blinking makes the turn signal more visible, true? The more people that see your turn signal provides you with a level of safety, in my opinion.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe cuz it looks cool
Originally Posted by StraySheep
Does anyone know the coding to disable the "Wink" on the TT's day time running lights (DRL) when using the front turn signals?
ie. when light switch is '0', with DRL on, and turn signal on, I want to keep the DRL on the turn signal side on. By default, DRL on the side with the front turn signal automatically turns off.

Thank you
I've not been able to make this coding work on my 2018 TTS, but here is a forum in the UK that offers extensive coding details.
TT Forum MK3 Coding

DRL brightness while turn indicators are on
Unit 9
adaption
"(18)-Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimmwert GH 2,0" set the value to your choice, I suggest 30, 100 is the max
"(18)-Leuchte3SL VRB21-Dimmwert GH 3,0" set the value to your choice, I suggest 30, 100 is the max
"(18)-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Dimmwert GH 4,0" set the value to your choice, I suggest 30, 100 is the max
"(18)-Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Dimmwert GH 5,0" set the value to your choice, I suggest 30, 100 is the max

if you want the DRL pulse on in the instant the turn indicator is off:
Unit 9
adaption
(16) leuchte 3.....G3 change from blinken rechts activ (beide phasen) to blinken rechts dunkelphase

Report back if you get this to work...
John

Last edited by 95wildtt; 01-01-2019 at 09:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
captain92 (12-26-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by milo337
Maybe cuz it looks cool🤔

Who cares about people being able to see that you are going to turn... as long as you look cool before the crash... am
I right? /s
Old 01-08-2019, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 53 Posts

It's a requirement in the US that when the turn signal is activated there not be more than a certain amount of white light coming from the same area in designs where the blinker and DRL are in the same housing (for visibility). This is not the case in Europe, where the wink is disabled (by the coding posted above). Obviously the value judgment is up to you, but personally I like the wink.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just a personal preference because I don't like to wink during the day and not wink at night when my head lights are on.
​​​​​​
Sweet2bad (04-01-2022)
Old 02-26-2019, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great news for all you North American TT owners, I have finally figured out one of the most wanted mod to eliminate the DRL wink with front turn signals when switch position is at 0. (ie. Keeping the DRL on with front turn signals). Bad news is that your TT won’t look as cute as before during the day because you won’t be able to wink at opposing drivers with your turn signal on.
Mine is a 2018 TT RS from Canada and the changes are done using OBDeleven, I believe it should work just fine for all North American MK3 TT’s.

For Left side headlight:
Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Leuchte2SL VLB10 -> Dimmwert CD 2 -> change value from 0 to a number less than 100.
Set to 28 will have same brightness as when the switch is turned to parking light with turn signal on. I use 50. 100 is exact same brightness as DRL, ie. Your DRL will remain same brightness with turn signal.
Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Leuchte4TFL LB4 -> Dimming Direction CD 4 -> change valve to maximize

For Right side headlight:
Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Leuchte3SL VRB21 -> Dimmwert CD 3 -> change value from 0 to a number less than 100.
Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Leuchte5 TFL RB32 -> Dimming Direction CD 5 -> change valve to maximize

That’s it.

Other useful settings I also found during this DRL investigation.
When LED headlights are on the DRL is also on with a fixed brightness of 28 regardless if the turn signal is on or off. If you want to change this value, do this.

For Left side headlight:
Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Leuchte2SL VLB10 -> Dimmwert EF 2 -> change value from 28 to a number less than 100. I use 50 to match my DRL brightness with turn signal on when headlight is off.

Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Leuchte3SL VRB21 -> Dimmwert EF 3 -> change value from 28 to a number less than 100.

My Canadian TT RS does not have the option in MMI menu to turn off DRL completely, not sure if US is the same. But if you want the ability to turn off DRL in MMI menu, do this.

Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Aussenlicht_Front -> Tagfahrlicht Aktivierung durch BAP oder Bedienfolge moeglich -> change value to active
Then check in the MMI under vehicle settings -> exterior lights, you should see an additional item with check box to allow you to turn off DRL.

Not really useful in most situations, but if you want to be completely dark at night, this will turn off DRL with light switch in 0 position. Stealth mode. Note that it’s illegal to turn off DRL in Canada, so use at your own discretion.

Not sure why my Canadian TTRS does not have the option to bring the front wipers into service position in the MMI menu, but if you want to have the option do this via MMI, do this.

Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Front_wiper -> Menuesteuerung Frontwischer -> change to active

In North American, due to safety reasons, you can only open both windows with the remote when press and hold unlock, but NOT close both windows when press and hold lock. You can only close both windows by touching and holding the sensor on either door handle.
To enable remote close both windows by press and hold the lock button, do this.

Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> ZV Komfort -> Funk Komfort schliessen -> change to active

By default, your remote key fob buttons are disabled after you press the engine start button once or engine is running. If you want to enable the use of your remote buttons while engine is on (this can be useful if you want to keep the vehicle running when the driver needs to step out), do this.

Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> ZV allgemein -> Funk bei Klemme 15 ein -> change to active

Unfortunately, I tried looking for the ability to have dynamic front turn signal, there is a setting in Aussenlicht_Front that can set dynamic turn signal active, but it didn’t do anything to the front turn signals. Therefore, I believe it’s hardware related (only available with matrix headlight) as others already mentioned.

I will continue to update this post as I find more features that I changed to my 2018 TTRS.

Below is a list of features I want to do but haven't figured out yet. Any help will be appreciated.
- Front dynamic turn signals (don't think it's possible without Matrix headlights that are not sold in North America).
- Enable power fold mirror at any vehicle speed. By default, when my speed is above ~50 km/hr, the power fold mirror feature is disabled.
- Sport Exhaust Flaps position memory. By default, the sport exhaust flap is always closed after engine start regardless of the audi select mode. Very annoying to always have to press the exhaust button to open the flaps to enjoy the exhaust sounds.

Last edited by StraySheep; 06-20-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Sweet2bad (04-01-2022)
Old 02-26-2019, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's very cool. Can't wait to try this but unfortunately I'm waiting to get my steering wheel and airbag back from some leather and stitching mod's I'm having done.

I hope someone else in NA can confirm this works.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2019, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StraySheep
Great news for all you North American TT owners, I have finally figured out one of the most wanted mod to eliminate the DRL wink with front turn signals when switch position is at 0. (ie. Keeping the DRL on with front turn signals). Bad news is that your TT won’t look as cute as before during the day because you won’t be able to wink at opposing drivers with your turn signal on.
Mine is a 2018 TT RS from Canada and the changes are done using OBDeleven, I believe it should work just fine for all North American MK3 TT’s.

For Left side headlight:
Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Leuchte2SL VLB10 -> Dimmwert CD 2 -> change value from 0 to a number less than 100.
Set to 28 will have same brightness as when the switch is turned to parking light with turn signal on. I use 50. 100 is exact same brightness as DRL, ie. Your DRL will remain same brightness with turn signal.
Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Leuchte4TFL LB4 -> Dimming Direction CD 4 -> change valve to maximize

Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Leuchte3SL VRB21 -> Dimmwert CD 3 -> change value from 0 to a number less than 100.
Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Leuchte5 TFL RB32 -> Dimming Direction CD 5 -> change valve to maximize
That’s it.

Other useful settings I also found during this DRL investigation.
When LED headlights are on the DRL is also on with a fixed brightness of 28 regardless if the turn signal is on or off. If you want to change this value, do this.

For Left side headlight:
Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Leuchte2SL VLB10 -> Dimmwert EF 2 -> change value from 28 to a number less than 100. I use 50 to match my DRL brightness with turn signal on when headlight is off.

Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Leuchte3SL VRB10 -> Dimmwert EF 3 -> change value from 28 to a number less than 100.

My Canadian TT RS does not have the option in MMI menu to turn off DRL completely, not sure if US is the same. But if you want the ability to turn off DRL in MMI menu, do this.

Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Aussenlicht_Front -> Tagfahrlicht Aktivierung durch BAP oder Bedienfolge moeglich -> change value to active
Then check in the MMI under vehicle settings -> exterior lights, you should see an additional item with check box to allow you to turn off DRL.

Not really useful in most situations, but if you want to be completely dark at night, this will turn off DRL with light switch in 0 position. Stealth mode. Note that it’s illegal to turn off DRL in Canada, so use at your own discretion.

Not sure why my Canadian TTRS does not have the option to bring the front wipers into service position in the MMI menu, but if you want to have the option do this via MMI, do this.

Control Unit (09) Central Electronics -> Front_wiper -> Menuesteuerung Frontwischer -> change to active

Unfortunately, I tried looking for the ability to have dynamic front turn signal, there is a setting in Aussenlicht_Front that can set dynamic turn signal active, but it didn’t do anything to the front turn signals. Therefore, I believe it’s hardware related (only available with matrix headlight) as others already mentioned.
Curious if you've figured out how to disable the orange light in the headlights lol

Quick Reply: How to Disable DRL Wink with front turn signal