RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

used 2016-2017RS7 vs new 2019 Rs5

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used 2016-2017RS7 vs new 2019 Rs5

Waiting on the perfect combo of options for used Rs7 out there. But now new rs5 sport backs are out - they look great. New rs5 will cost a lil few thousand more than than the used CPO Rs7 with ~20k miles

Which one to buy?

I do like that rs5 seats 5--- maybe tight. rs7 only has seats for 4.

car would be my daily driver.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As an RS7 owner, I'd opt for the RS5. The RS7 is a really quick tank, is good at high speed cruising and the trunk is noticeably larger. However, it's also bulky, lacks nimbleness and has numb driver feedback.

You have to decide, do you want more of a handling drivers car or do you want a smooth drag racer?
Old 01-05-2019, 04:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for advice. Just in love with Rs7 for years. Is the RS7 a good daily drive for you? I test drove the RS7 and it was fast but felt very heavy compared to my A7,

I don't want to "settle" for the RS5 as the used Rs7 are now really in my price range. Gonna look at the Rs5 today.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

ultimately they are vastly different cars, so depends on what you favor, and where your attention is

the RS7 does not weigh remarkably different vs the A7, but it's suspension is completely different, and that is the weighty feel you're likely experiencing. But the car is an absolute beast, and another level (both in terms of rarity and comfort) vs the RS5. As you would expect given their original new price differentials too (RS7 being ~30% more expensive)
Old 01-07-2019, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks for the advice.

Saw the RS5 at local audi dealer - Daytona grey, black optic. Nice electronics, gadgets inside, ie wireless charger. Soo glad its not touch screen. did not get to test drive it cause lousy weather and rush hour so going back to test drive. Obviously audi sales trying to push new car. Not a hard push - its a Nice car. Would definitely be easy daily driver for me.

But agree, RS7 in diff league, even used and with old tech, dials, analog dials which I actually prefer. The one I'm looking at is CPO and 20K miles. different audi dealer. Good point brought up by my salesman was cost of ownership especially with maintenance. I'm sure I'll have to change breaks soon on used RS7 if already with 20k miles. past post suggests 4.5K for break replacement. that estimate correct?
Old 01-14-2019, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just went through this same calculus, and found the perfect options on a 4K mile 2017 CPO RS7 Performance, and it came out cheaper than the RS5SB I specced out. Oh my god this car is glorious.

But then, I preferred my V8 S5 to the V6 version also, I just love big engines, regardless of how insanely amazing the RS5 engine is.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you all for advice. Pulled the trigger. Bought a 2016 CPO RS7. NO REGRETS. SOOO in love with this car.
SOOO glad I did not get get new RS5 Sportback.
Getting my winter tires put in next week.
Planning on after market CarPlay addition.
Will likely change my puddle lights to have RS7 illumination.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaisersioze
Thank you all for advice. Pulled the trigger. Bought a 2016 CPO RS7. NO REGRETS. SOOO in love with this car.
SOOO glad I did not get get new RS5 Sportback.
Getting my winter tires put in next week.
Planning on after market CarPlay addition.
Will likely change my puddle lights to have RS7 illumination.
What did you do for adding Carplay?

Best,
Old 02-17-2019, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had Christian at enfig stereo install a module similar to rsnav. Took advantage of his special - device and install was $400. Very happy so far. He’s suppose to be putting a video of the install up on YouTube. There’s already a video of the one he installed on a 2016 A6.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaisersioze
Had Christian at enfig stereo install a module similar to rsnav. Took advantage of his special - device and install was $400. Very happy so far. He’s suppose to be putting a video of the install up on YouTube. There’s already a video of the one he installed on a 2016 A6.
How is it working? Also supports Android Auto? I sometimes drive near Carlstadt when I go to visit family in NJ so if you're happy with the results that would be good to know.

Best,

Quick Reply: used 2016-2017RS7 vs new 2019 Rs5