A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Navigation system totally unreliable

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Navigation system totally unreliable

We have just completed a 2000 mile trip from Canada to Florida. We Have found the navigation system to be unreliable at best. In four locations that we previously set as stops it was off on our final destination by 180°. I think this on unacceptable and thank God we had CarPlay. I don’t know if this is unique to our car but looking for a hotel in the dark in a strange city is not to humorous. Each and every time it was 180° Nearing final destination off no matter how put it was inputted! Audi should be ashamed. I don’t suppose there’s any cure for this. If anyone can offer advice please let us know. I am highly pissed! We should have not bothered with the package! Does anyone else have the same problem?

my previous 2016 Q5 worked like a charm! Went to Alaskan pan handle without a hiccup! This 2018 s crap and dangerous!

cheers.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcampbell3
We have just completed a 2000 mile trip from Canada to Florida. We Have found the navigation system to be unreliable at best. In four locations that we previously set as stops it was off on our final destination by 180°. I think this on unacceptable and thank God we had CarPlay. I don’t know if this is unique to our car but looking for a hotel in the dark in a strange city is not to humorous. Each and every time it was 180° Nearing final destination off no matter how put it was inputted! Audi should be ashamed. I don’t suppose there’s any cure for this. If anyone can offer advice please let us know. I am highly pissed! We should have not bothered with the package! Does anyone else have the same problem?
my previous 2016 Q5 worked like a charm! Went to Alaskan pan handle without a hiccup! This 2018 s crap and dangerous!
cheers.
Yeah, Audi's Navigation pretty much sucks. It often tries to send me in the opposite direction. I prefer Waze, but hate having to plug my phone in each time. Hopefully, Audi will offer Waze as a navigation option in the future.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

I have not had any problem with the nav system getting me to the right place. My problems are

1 - estimated arrival times are too long. The estimates are worse the more you drive on secondary roads. Estimated travel times appear to be pretty good for highways but I guess they assume you will drive very slow on secondary roads.
2 - the weighting of the routing algorithms are too heavily biased to main roads, so much so that traffic rerouting rarely considers local streets or neighborhoods and if you know them and use them it takes quite a while for the nav to agree with you and not tell you to turn around or get back on the clogged highway. I can understand this to some extent and WAZE is getting dinged for routing too much traffic through neighborhoods but Audi has gone too far in the other direction.
3 - Entering addresses by voice is hit or miss unless you use the online Google search. It should be better, my wife's Subaru Outback is much better.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I plug my phone in to use CarPlay and Waze also. It works out a lot better for me with where I live and what I do.

Having to to connect the phone each time is a annoyance but I use the CarPlay music streaming apps too so I have just gotten used to it.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

For me, the big irritant is having to change the state when you cross a state line.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
I have not had any problem with the nav system getting me to the right place. My problems are

1 - estimated arrival times are too long. The estimates are worse the more you drive on secondary roads. Estimated travel times appear to be pretty good for highways but I guess they assume you will drive very slow on secondary roads.
2 - the weighting of the routing algorithms are too heavily biased to main roads, so much so that traffic rerouting rarely considers local streets or neighborhoods and if you know them and use them it takes quite a while for the nav to agree with you and not tell you to turn around or get back on the clogged highway. I can understand this to some extent and WAZE is getting dinged for routing too much traffic through neighborhoods but Audi has gone too far in the other direction.
3 - Entering addresses by voice is hit or miss unless you use the online Google search. It should be better, my wife's Subaru Outback is much better.
having lived with mine for a while, I could not agree more with every single point you made.

perhaps the OP car needs to recalibrate the compass. Owners manual covers it IIRC
Old 01-05-2019, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nope it’s fine

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
having lived with mine for a while, I could not agree more with every single point you made.

perhaps the OP car needs to recalibrate the compass. Owners manual covers it IIRC
As far as I can tell the compass is working fine. It’s the navigation system that’s crap. Oddly, CarPlay maps, google maps and ease all work fine and agree with the compass on the rear view mirror.

cheers
Old 01-07-2019, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Im still amazed that people try to use standard navigation when Waze is significantly better.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Im still amazed that people try to use standard navigation when Waze is significantly better.
I’ve extensively used both in my S4,
as well as standard Apple maps. Have yet to find one significantly better, or worse, than the other. It is completely dependent on the area that you drive in. There are multiple times Waze simply wont load the info, but Apple maps pulls it right up. Also, in the area I tend to be in, Waze routinely tells me I’ve arrived, when there is still half a block to go. In an urban setting, that can be annoying at best. All have worked and also let me down.

To each their own.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy

I’ve extensively used both in my S4,
as well as standard Apple maps. Have yet to find one significantly better, or worse, than the other. It is completely dependent on the area that you drive in. There are multiple times Waze simply wont load the info, but Apple maps pulls it right up. Also, in the area I tend to be in, Waze routinely tells me I’ve arrived, when there is still half a block to go. In an urban setting, that can be annoying at best. All have worked and also let me down.

To each their own.
Fair enough. But using any type of navigation, you should have some smarts about it. Know the address you're looking for, look on google earth to see what the destination looks like(landmarks?), this way if it says you arrived but you're still a block away, you know the address and what the place looks like. Just saying. People that rely only on navigation without paying attention, are the ones that end up in lakes....

Quick Reply: Navigation system totally unreliable