Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi Pre sense Prestige vs Premium plus

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Audi Pre sense Prestige vs Premium plus

I am a little confused with Pre Sense. We have a 2018 Q5 and 2018 A4 both in premium plus trim. Is the Pre Sense in either a watered down version or is it the same as in the Prestige model. Looking at the manual it says Pre Sense uses sensors as well as cameras to activate system. Since we dont have active Cruise control we dont have cameras correct? Will a premium plus come to a complete stop to prevent a rear end collision?
Old 01-16-2019, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

You can have cameras regardless of active cruise. The Active Cruise uses radar for vehicle detection. Back is in the trunk, front is top windshield behind the mirror.

I believe pre-sense uses cameras + parking distance. There was a thread that one of the members posted what tech was needed for each of the Audi functionalities. It came from the Audi Portal if you google it.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
There was a thread that one of the members posted what tech was needed for each of the Audi functionalities. It came from the Audi Portal if you google it.
That would be my post here . Summary:

Audi pre sense helps monitor the areas around the vehicle with a sophisticated front-facing cameraand rear-facing radar or ultrasonic sensors
  • Pre sense city - Using forward-facing camera and radar systems
  • Pre sense rear - Uses radar sensors in the rear bumper
  • Pre sense front - Uses data from a suite of sensors and cameras
Old 01-17-2019, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks Spindlewood! Memory was slipping me last night.

I wonder how pre-sense works for the OP then if they don't have adaptive cruise (unless the radars are installed regardless). Perhaps he can even enable active cruise through OBDEleven then?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I had actually done some research on this because all these terms were so confusing:
  • Pre sense city - Uses the front-facing camera. Standard on all trims. Pedestrian warning 6-50 mph. Vehicle warning 6-155 mph. Auto brake < 50 mph only
  • Pre sense front - Uses the front-facing camera and ACC radar. Only available on 2018 Prestige w/ Driver Assistance Package and 2019 Prestige (ACC is standard on 2019 Prestige). It provides full speed range warning and auto brake. It also includes Evasive Steering Support (adjusts steering to help steer around an obstacle 20-90 mph) and Turn Assist (stops turning to avoid an oncoming vehicle < 6 mph)
  • Pre sense rear - Uses the side assist sensors. Not available on Premium. Standard on P+ and Prestige. Detects the possibility of being rear ended and tightens up the seat belts, closes windows/sunroof and turns on the emergency flashers when necessary
  • Pre sense basic - Standard on all trims. It's not a detection system. It merely takes input from the above systems and tightens up the seat belts, closes windows/sunroof and turns on the emergency flashers when necessary
  • Rear cross-traffic assist - Uses the side assist sensors. Not available on Premium. Standard on P+ and Prestige. Warning and auto brake in reverse <9 mph

Last edited by treoless; 01-18-2019 at 06:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jfk-usaf (01-02-2022)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by treoless
I had actually done some research on this because all these terms were so confusing:
  • Pre sense city - Use the front-facing camera. Standard on all trims. Pedestrian warning 6-50 mph. Vehicle warning 6-155 mph. Auto brake < 50 mph only
  • Pre sense front - Use the front-facing camera and ACC radar. Only available on 2018 Prestige w/ Driver Assistant Package or 2019 Prestige (ACC is standard on 2019 Prestige). It provides full speed range warning and auto brake. It also includes Evasive Steering Support (adjust steering to help steer around an obstacle 20-90 mph) and Turn Assist (stop turning to avoid an oncoming vehicle < 6 mph)
  • Pre sense rear - Use the side assist sensors. Not available on Premium. Standard on P+ and Prestige. Detects the possibility of being rear ended and tighten up the seat belts, close windows/sunroof and turn on the emergency flashers when necessary
  • Pre sense basic - Standard on all trims. It's not a detection system. It merely takes input from the above systems and tighten up the seat belts, close windows/sunroof and turn on the emergency flashers when necessary
  • Rear cross-traffic assist - Use the side assist sensors. Not available on Premium. Standard on P+ and Prestige. Warning and auto brake in reverse <9 mph
Nice job.....
Old 01-17-2019, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It also includes Evasive Steering Support (adjust steering to help steer around an obstacle 20-90 mph) and Turn Assist (stop turning to avoid an oncoming vehicle < 6 mph)
Thanks for the write-up. I haven't seen "Evasive Steering" included with Pre-Sense Front anywhere - nor can I find reference to that feature using that term. For example, this Audi Media Center page. It has something similar (below). Can you provide a link that supports this?

This is the only mention of an active "evasive" action in the document. It seems to only adjusts torque to make it easier to maneuner.

Collision avoidance assist

Collision avoidance assist helps the driver steer around an obstacle in a critical situation. The system uses data from the two radar sensors and the front camera for this purpose. In calculating a suitable evasive maneuver corridor, it takes into account the distance, width and offset of the vehicle driving ahead. Collision avoidance assist is available over a speed range from approx. 30 to 150 km/h (18.6 to 93.2 mph), and it assumes that the driver is actively steering throughout the maneuver. The driver is informed of the intervention by an indicator in the instrument cluster.

First, a jolt is produced to warn the driver of the hazard. If the driver then actively avoids the obstacle, the assistant applies a slight steering torque that helps by correcting the driver’s steering input or helping to make a lane change. Models like the Audi A8 (2017) use a specific braking of individual wheels – with it the vehicle is made to follow the computed course.

Last edited by spindlewood; 01-17-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
Thanks for the write-up. I haven't seen Evasive Steering included with Pre-Sense Front anywhere. For example, this Audi Media Center page has it as something distinct. That said, I haven't seen anywhere that the Q5 and SQ5 at any trim level has this feature. Can you provide a link that supports this?
It's in the owner's manual under pre sense front (p.113).

Old 01-17-2019, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

@treoless
Thanks for the clarifications, and the clarity of description!!
If I ever have to write a manual for anything, I may contact you-------LOL
Old 01-17-2019, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's in the owner's manual under pre sense front (p.113).
Of all the places to find it... lol. Thanks. While I like the Audi Media Center, finding which technologies are in my car is not so straight forward. Even the manual has many features with asterisks that are not in all markets or trims. Confusing. Why the Audi Media Center doesn't match the manual is another head scratcher. With tech changing all the time, there should be a grid of some sort that matches to years and trims. [/END RANT]

Quick Reply: Audi Pre sense Prestige vs Premium plus