Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up
View Poll Results: What type of window tint did you get?
Dyed window tint
1.79%
Metallized window tint
1.79%
Hybrid
3.57%
Carbon
7.14%
Crystalline
3.57%
Ceramic
67.86%
Didn't get tint
7.14%
I got tint but haveno idea what type!
7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Type of Window Tint for your B9

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Type of Window Tint for your B9

What type of tint did you get for your A/S/R 5. I will be getting tint for my A5 SB and am interested in what others have gotten and why

Link to descriptions of the different types I found, may be others

https://thedifferenceisclear.com/6-c...ts-winslow-az/

Last edited by Wildcat UA; 01-22-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally I think the poll/question should read, "which brand of ceramic tint do you have", since they tend to have better heat rejection than the other types of tint. If you want something clear the 3M crystalline series is popular, especially for windshields.

I went with llumar's formula one pinnacle 25%, very happy with it. Their stratos line has better heat rejection but only comes in 15% and 30% though.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Xenny
Personally I think the poll/question should read, "which brand of ceramic tint do you have", since they tend to have better heat rejection than the other types of tint. If you want something clear the 3M crystalline series is popular, especially for windshields.

I went with llumar's formula one pinnacle 25%, very happy with it. Their stratos line has better heat rejection but only comes in 15% and 30% though.
i have been researching tint over the last few days and I am leaning heavily toward the Lumar Pinacle myself, but still considering the Stratos as well. I am just not sure if the Stratos is worth the extra cost. I was quoted $355 for the Piinacle whole car including roof, less the windshield, and $480. for the Stratos.
I also just learned about 3m Crysraline, and from what I hear it is more than I will spend on tint. Almost 30% higher than the otherS.

Looking forward to input from others as well.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There should be an option for “I have window tint and it’s scratched” since so many of us have the vertical scratches. I’ve been holding off on getting new tint because it almost seems inevitable it will happen again. Just a heads up to all of those looking.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Elote
so many of us have the vertical scratches.
Is this scratching peculiar to the Audi S5? I have had most of my cars in the past tinted and never experienced any\vertical scratchig.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:42 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I have the Xpel xr ir on all windows except the windshield and I’m very satisfied with the look and heat reduction it provides. So far (7 months in) no scratching on either side window. Installers did a great job as the tint extends to the edge of all the glass.

I think Xpel has released a newer tint that cuts down even more of the IR rays — you’d ha e to check their web site.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I think Xpel has released a newer tint that cuts down even more of the IR rays — you’d ha e to check their web site.

Yikes! Yet another in the mix. More research.

Thanks

Last edited by Richr; 01-23-2019 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been doing a ton of research over the past few months and from what I found XPEL's Prime XR Plus seems to be the best at infrared heat rejection. Suntek CIR seems to be a close second. Here is a video comparing the different tints.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:09 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
I've been doing a ton of research over the past few months and from what I found XPEL's Prime XR Plus seems to be the best at infrared heat rejection. Suntek CIR seems to be a close second. Here is a video comparing the different tints.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xC_Zs0ptIE
Even if you can feel the heat difference across the tinted glass, I've been wondering if these demo lamp tests relate at all to the real world. I can see how the tint can slow down the warming up of the cabin and is more comfortable when driving with the sun directly to the driver's left side but what I would like to see is a comparison test with two identical cars parked in full sun at 100 degrees for 5 hours, one car tinted and one not, and measure the cabin temperature after 5 hours. There's got to be some heat transferred from other parts of the car so after a while sitting in the sun, I'm wondering if the tint's heat rejection properties becomes meaningless.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
Even if you can feel the heat difference across the tinted glass, I've been wondering if these demo lamp tests relate at all to the real world. I can see how the tint can slow down the warming up of the cabin and is more comfortable when driving with the sun directly to the driver's left side but what I would like to see is a comparison test with two identical cars parked in full sun at 100 degrees for 5 hours, one car tinted and one not, and measure the cabin temperature after 5 hours. There's got to be some heat transferred from other parts of the car so after a while sitting in the sun, I'm wondering if the tint's heat rejection properties becomes meaningless.
That's not a real world example though. I don't expect my car to be an icebox when it's been sitting in 100 degree weather for 5 hours. You heat anything up for several hours eventually the heat will reach the middle. Tint or no tint I expect the car to be very warm. The benefit of ceramic tint and in this case Xpel Prime XR Plus is the amount of harmful infrared rays that it blocks which is 98%. This helps to preserve the interior of your car, especially your dash which gets hit with the most sun and heat. Prime XR Plus blocks the same amount of infrared rays whether you use the 80% or 5% tint. A moving car with the A/C running is not going to heat up like a car sitting turn off in the sun. The test you see with the heat lamp is the amount of heat that is coming through. This is the equivalent of the amount of heat coming through your windows as your driving. The lower amount of heat coming through means the less your A/C has to work to keep your car cool. Those are all positives in my opinion.

Here is a video showing the benefits of ceramic tint. This is not Prime XR Plus but it's still impressive. The Xpel Prime XR Plus is even better.

Quick Reply: Type of Window Tint for your B9