Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Tool for clearing snow off the hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Tool for clearing snow off the hood

Snowed while I was at work last week. With previous cars I'd use the snow brush to clear all the snow off the hood, but I was concerned that I'd introduce swirls to the paint so I left the snow on. Drove home and discovered crop circles on the hood. Made me wonder what others use to remove the snow off the body of their cars. Watched a youtube video of someone who wrapped a microfiber towel around the end of the snow brush. Seems like a good idea for removing powder. Other ideas?

Old 01-22-2019, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Portable leaf blower
Old 01-22-2019, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the leaf blower.- but only at home as it's not practical to haul around.
Away from home or If the snow is too heavy for that I go to the Snow Brum
Old 01-22-2019, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Martigary
Portable leaf blower
I thought you were kidding but I see people really do this. Probably a great solution at home with powder. Unfortunately, I need it away from home and when the snow is often heavy. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by StickyAK
+1 on the leaf blower.- but only at home as it's not practical to haul around.
Away from home or If the snow is too heavy for that I go to the Snow Brum
Sounds like a good solution. If a better one doesn't get posted, I will give this a try. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

You can get portable battery operated ones which can be carried around in the boot (trunk).

​​​​​​​
Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the plastic scraper end of a snow brush after a freezing rain flash freeze and discovered a lot of black marks when I finished. I've used this method for over 50 years and never saw this before. It's my first Audi, a 2019 A4 in Florett Silver that I picked up on January 2. Please tell me that these marks will easily buff out, and are not primer. I'm located in Eastern Mass.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brjake
I used the plastic scraper end of a snow brush after a freezing rain flash freeze and discovered a lot of black marks when I finished. I've used this method for over 50 years and never saw this before. It's my first Audi, a 2019 A4 in Florett Silver that I picked up on January 2. Please tell me that these marks will easily buff out, and are not primer. I'm located in Eastern Mass.
Am I reading this correctly? You used the scraper end (ice scraper) of the snow brush on your painted surfaces?
If so I'm not surprised that you have damage to the paintwork.
I mean no disrespect but after a round of freezing rain the only thing you should be concerned about is getting the ice off of your windows. I would warm up the vehicle a little bit first and then use the ice scraper on the glass surfaces only to remove the ice, being careful not to damage any of the rubber seals that are around the windows.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brjake
As a fellow Mass hole, please tell me you are joking and you didn’t really use the hard plastic scraper end of a snow brush on your 2019 A4’s paint surface...? lol

As others have said, after an ice storm your windows are all that matter. Let everything else be. For clearing snow I just use a snow brum/broom that I store in the trunk. Hilarious that people are hefting around actual leaf blowers but hey, whatever works I guess!
Old 01-23-2019, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have a portable leaf blower that I use and the Snow brum that someone else posted
Old 01-23-2019, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not joking, and if you're a real Mass hole you know that you have to clear more than just the windows. Almost every newscast after a snowstorm includes a story about uncleared ice or snow blowing off a car and damaging one behind it. I don't want to be "that guy".

Quick Reply: Tool for clearing snow off the hood