A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Water leak damage, no recall, wtf!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 03:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak damage, no recall, wtf!?!?

My 2008 A6 is leaking water into the footwells, and now it seems to have temporarily, if not permanently disabled my MMI, which ofc controls every function. From my research this is far from an uncommon issue, yet somehow there is no recall for this problem, wtaf is up with that?!?? I like this car, and Audi's in general, but this water leak is ridiculous, let alone, that i might have to shell out god knows how much for a new module because of it. Has anyone gone to a dealer with this issue out of warranty, and did they cover the repair cost?? I shouldn't have to shell out for new modules because of a god awful design flaw that allows 3" of water to collect in my footwell, I've owned 20+ cars, most of them mundane ones, and none had any glaringly bad design flaws even approaching this one. I think this might be the reason my EPC has been coming on intermittently too, but I'm not 100% on that as I don't know where that module is located. And I'm aware from my research that the likely cause is a clogged drain, but unfortunately I live in the north and it's been too damn cold outside to try address this, and my garage is otherwise occupied. It just blows my mind that there isn't a recall on this, and really makes me hesitant to commit to Audi's for dd's like I had planned.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Sorry to hear about the damage. But It is an 11 year old car. The sunroof drains got clogged over time. Proper maintence takes care of the issue. You live and learn. Good luck with the fix.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

@Mitsuman your water is either a clogged sunroof drain, which there are plenty of threads on how to clear.
But in this case, it could be clogged drains in the engine compartment, usually from leafy debris, which over time breaks down and clogs the drain port, If they are not kept clear, water will accumulate beneath the rain cowl until it washes over the inner bulkhead/firewall, then run down the front floor pan beneath the carpeting and carpet pad, and fill up the floor pan.In all likelihood, your BT module which is located just slightly in front of your driver seat is fried. It will be sitting in water and electronics don't play nice w/water. You'll need to fix the drain issue first, then remove the carpeting under the driver side and take out the BT module and get a replacement, if you want everything working again.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest you clean out the drain bungs under the floor. Pull out your back seat, then pull up the rug as much as you can. Look for a bung in the floor, if its the same as an 06, on the driver side there will be one a few inches in front of the seat bench. Pull the bung out, you will now be looking inside the unibody chamber. On the outer side of the unibody there is another bung but this one is a drain bung. You probably will find debris in it. I used a length of weedwacker string to clean it out. (The same piece of weedwacker string that I used to check the sunroof drains.) If you keep those bungs clean the flood waters will not rise up into your car.

There are more drains up front, but they are harder to get to as you'll need to pull out the carpet entirely. I do assume you will be pulling out the interior at some point soon though. I think you can also get at the drain bungs from the underside if you pull the shield off.

When my car flooded it was all coming up through the floor unibody. It was not sunroof issue or clogged up front cowl drains. When we poured water on the windshield, we saw it go down the cowl drains and then watched it appear inside the unibody in the floor. With the unibody drains plugged it rose up into the car. Cleaning out the bottom drain bungs stopped the car from shipping water.

So to the wtf aspect of the initial post, its a big WTF as in the engineers must have expected water to get into the floor unibody if they put drains in it.