A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Chain control and Snow chains for Audi A4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain control and Snow chains for Audi A4?

I have a '18 Audi A4 Quattro with a manual transmission. I'm heading to Tahoe sometime soon and there is chain control. I've gone up many times but not during chain control. It says that even AWD models should carry traction devices and with all the snowfall in the last few weeks, I feel it might be a good idea to have. When I got the car the dealer said that I shouldn't put chain on the tires. Do I get snow cables instead? Would I put it on just the front tires?
Old 02-16-2019, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

If you have quality winter tires you should be fine. You can always throw cables in the trunk if you want to be doubly careful.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
If you have quality winter tires you should be fine. You can always throw cables in the trunk if you want to be doubly careful.
Thanks. If I use cables just need them on the front tires right?
Old 02-16-2019, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm heading to Sequoia next week. Have Autosocks which have been approved by CHP as an alternative to chains or cables.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I happen to be skiing in Colorado this weekend. I'm driving my manual A4 quattro with winter tires, and my wife is driving a Silvercar A4 quattro with all season tires and good treads. The driveway of the property where we are staying isn't very steep but hasn't been plowed in a few days so there is about 3 inches of powder on it plus some drifts of about 6 inches. I am able to get up the driveway just fine with some tire spinning. The A4 with all seasons could only get part way up. We had to shovel the steepest part and use momentum for her car to get to the top.

I have four Autosocks - two for my car and two that we carry with us when renting Silvercars. I can't imagine any conditions when I would put them over my winter tires (they are just for showing to the Highway Patrol), but after our experience with all season tires, I could see them coming in handy in that case. If you only have two chains/cables/socks, put them on the front tires to help with steering and braking as well as traction.

By the way, the skiing is fantastic.

Here is where the A4 with all seasons came to a stop.

Last edited by SDakota; 02-16-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Quality winter tires turn our cars into snow mobiles!
Old 02-17-2019, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

In Tahoe right now.

It it took us 16 hours to get here this weekend when the drive is usually 3-4 hours. CalTrans/CHP will check your tires to make sure they have chains/are in fact winter tires. Don’t try to get by with all-seasons on this one.

As much as I wanted to take the A4, we ended up taking the Silverado with chains and I am glad we did. The drive was pretty sketch.

I would recommend getting winter tires for your trip or auto socks. With either of those options you should be fine.

*Also - among the many sites I used to track weather during this storm, this one is the best w/ real-time updates: http://tahoeroads.info/ be safe

Last edited by majestictiger; 02-17-2019 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by majestictiger
In Tahoe right now.

It it took us 16 hours to get here this weekend when the drive is usually 3-4 hours. CalTrans/CHP will check your tires to make sure they have chains/are in fact winter tires. Don’t try to get by with all-seasons on this one.

As much as I wanted to take the A4, we ended up taking the Silverado with chains and I am glad we did. The drive was pretty sketch.

I would recommend getting winter tires for your trip or auto socks. With either of those options you should be fine.

*Also - among the many sites I used to track weather during this storm, this one is the best w/ real-time updates: Current Chain Control Status for Lake Tahoe, California - Highways 50 and 80 Road Conditions and Webcams be safe
Question - if both cars had chains and winter tires, would you still have preferred the Silverado?
Old 02-17-2019, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bob m
Question - if both cars had chains and winter tires, would you still have preferred the Silverado?
the only advantage the Silverado offers is ground clearance on unplowed roads. Otherwise the Audi is the choice all day long.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bob m
If both cars had winter tires I would have taken the A4 because I know it would preform better hands down.

Looking back i’m still glad we took the Silverado because it was nice to be high-up for visibility since we were in gridlock for so long. There were also some gnarly pot holes that could have destroyed my audi’s wheels since I only have the 19s. I need to invest in winter wheels/tires. Thought I could get by with all seasons this year.

Quick Reply: Chain control and Snow chains for Audi A4?