A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Is an Audi A4 worth buying?! Looking for a car ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is an Audi A4 worth buying?! Looking for a car ASAP

I've been looking for a car a while now and i can't decide. I want to buy used around $10k-12K. I've been looking at Mercedes c300, Infiniti G37, and Audi A4.

I dont know which one of these cars is better or worse. I definitely want the one that's more reliable and has least amount of yearly repairs.

I'm more interested in Audi right now because of the AWD. But i'm worried about it falling apart and dumping tons of money in it.

If anyone has some input or has any experience and knowledge about owning an Audi A4, please let me know as much as you can!
Old 02-21-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

AA, welcome aboard! Find yourself a nice G37x.

(We presently own a G35x, C300 and an A4!)
Old 02-21-2019, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
AA, welcome aboard! Find yourself a nice G37x.

(We presently own a G35x, C300 and an A4!)
You really own all three? Can you explain why the Infiniti.
I have a buddy who had a G35 and had a lot of electrical issues and he told me to stay away from Infiniti.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,869 Likes on 1,588 Posts

My 2003 G35 had over 170k miles and only had three main repair events, radiator around 90k, front wheel hubs around 96k, valve covers at 105k. That was it.
My 2009 A4 would be fine, except the engine is an eternal annoyance of one issue after another. It's still functional at 184k miles, but it's required far more money than I ever had to even think about spending on the G. And it still has problems.
As you can imagine, the G35 was worlds more fun to drive. Minus the irritating VDC when it would kick in. But the A4 is a wagon, and I have carried many things that would have never made it into the G.
As your buddy is an example of, anything is possible. But I'd be happy to get back to Infiniti, if only they would make a wagon or lift back. Never going back to a trunk on a four door. (that the G didn't even have fold down rear seats didn't help either)
Old 02-21-2019, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
My 2003 G35 had over 170k miles and only had three main repair events, radiator around 90k, front wheel hubs around 96k, valve covers at 105k. That was it.
My 2009 A4 would be fine, except the engine is an eternal annoyance of one issue after another. It's still functional at 184k miles, but it's required far more money than I ever had to even think about spending on the G. And it still has problems.
As you can imagine, the G35 was worlds more fun to drive. Minus the irritating VDC when it would kick in. But the A4 is a wagon, and I have carried many things that would have never made it into the G.
As your buddy is an example of, anything is possible. But I'd be happy to get back to Infiniti, if only they would make a wagon or lift back. Never going back to a trunk on a four door. (that the G didn't even have fold down rear seats didn't help either)
I read so many reviews about the G35 and G37 and most of it is really good! But then i hear one from a friend that actually owned one and he says dont buy it.
It seems like i should trust the 100s of reviews ive read and not the 1 i got from my friend. I've looked at the coupe and the sedan. Hard to decide.
Is there any cars you think i should consider? Otherwise im pretty set on a G37. As long as its reliable and comfortable and has some power i think i'll like the car a lot.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by aacocella1

You really own all three? Can you explain why the Infiniti?
Yes, and it's because you made this statement:

I

definitely want the one that's more reliable and has least amount of yearly repairs.
IME, the discussion ends there. Get a nice Asian car and drive on.

I don't know what country you are writing from, what dealerships you have e-z access to, and I don't know if you experience winter.

The 2011 C300 was purchased 11 months ago, 64,000 miles, from a very close friend that told me the car was perfect and needed nothing. We've already been forced to sink thou$$ands into it and I'm not happy about that. These were NOT discretionary modifications or repairs. The C300 is supposed to be the modern day W123 Mercedes. I have not witnessed that. The car is now sitting in the garage waiting for a new electronic thermostat which has failed in the open position. The car will not pass inspection with MIL illuminated and that's due next month.

The 2007 G35x was purchased a few years ago from my co-worker and was really in very good shape, ran stronger than any V6 I've ever driven. Great powertrain, but sucked premium gas with the best of them. I think the car had 106k on it when we bought it. My daughter has been the exclusive driver of that car, she's beat the crap out of it, abused it. Car has close to 150k miles now, we've probably put $6k into it in the past 12 months. Car is beat to crap but still runs very strong.

I am the original owner and sole driver of my 2011 A4. Fantastic car, one of the best drivers I've ever owned. 45,000 miles now, but as you read the history of Audi's 2.0T engine, you'll quickly see the future is grim. It's a shame.

These cars all have their vices and virtues. The Audi is by far the best driver, no comparison to the other two. The downside to the Infiniti it requires Premium and the dealership labor rate is even higher than Audi or MBz, which is insane, IMO. Parts prices at dealer counter are just stupid. That turns me off about Infiniti, but they've been good about repairing the car first time.

We've owned quite a few Mercedes and three Audis. The repair cycle, dealer expense and parts cost is the same for these two. The only advantage Audi has, IME, is VCDS which can permit the owner to take care of minor repairs all the way up to major repairs, if desired. The Audi is by far the best driver (driving experience) of these two marques.

AA, can we interest you in a Honda Accord or something by Hyundai?
Old 02-21-2019, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I read so many reviews about the G35 and G37 and most of it is really good! But then i hear one from a friend that actually owned one and he says dont buy it.

I couldn't disagree more. It's hard to say the car is bullet-proof, but they're really very good in their own way. Maybe your friend bought a problem car, AA. The worst electric failure we've seen on our 2007 car was a burned out parking light that was very difficult to change. I made the dealership do it

Nissan and MBz have partnered together because MBz wants Nissan's expertise in electronics. The Germans really haven't been very good in that area. It seems like the Nissan/MBz marriage in the USA has benefited both parties.

Last edited by uberwgn; 02-21-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I couldn't disagree more. It's hard to say the car is bullet-proof, but they're really very good in their own way. Maybe your friend bought a problem car, AA. The worst electric failure we've seen on our 2007 car was a burned out parking light that was very difficult to change. I made the dealership do it

Nissan and MBz have partnered together because MBz wants Nissan's expertise in electronics. The Germans really haven't been very good in that area. It seems like the Nissan/MBz marriage in the USA has benefited both parties.
It seems like nowdays used Hondas are more expensive than the used luxury vehicles. And they're hard to get especially the Accords.
I have looked at Hyundai. My uncle has bought a few of them and loves them. I don't know much about those cars though.
I've also looked at Dodge, Lexus, Toyota, pretty much all of them! But i always aim for the luxury feel and look.
Unless it's a Charger or something like that..
Old 02-21-2019, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, I know what you are saying. And the Hondas do have ridiculous retention of value. 10 yr old cars are way too expensive.

I think if you could find an honest G37X, you'd be real happy with that.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, I know what you are saying. And the Hondas do have ridiculous retention of value. 10 yr old cars are way too expensive.

I think if you could find an honest G37X, you'd be real happy with that.
i'm think so as well. and theirs a lot of things you can do to a G37 from what i've been watching.
Looking at a 2011 G37 Journey Coupe for $11.2k with 98k miles.. only 1 owner.
Not sure if it's a good deal or not. Carfax says it is! Haha
And it's from a certified BMW Dealership so i'd assume or hope that its been in good hands.

Is this something that's worth jumping on?

Quick Reply: Is an Audi A4 worth buying?! Looking for a car ASAP