Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Help with Curb Rash

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Curb Rash

OK ok, I don't need any grief from you all ha, but I got a bit of curb rash on my S5 back right rim this week and need advice. The picture below shows the damage, yes I am pissed about it. I saw a few videos online where you can sand down the chips to make it less noticeable. While standing up you really have to be looking closely to notice the damage. Any advice is appreciated. Apologies for the dirt and water as it has been terrible weather in Houston today.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe you should have a wheel shop repair it?
Old 04-13-2019, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
Maybe you should have a wheel shop repair it?
Haha, agreed. I just hope it doesn't cost a fortune. A tiny sliver of the tire peeled off but shouldn't affect performance.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

You are better off having a professional take care of it. It will probably be $100 all-in and it will beat any DIY job you can pull off.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Daaavid
You are better off having a professional take care of it. It will probably be $100 all-in and it will beat any DIY job you can pull off.
Shoot I will take it for $100. Anyone know of any shops in Houston they recommend?
Old 04-14-2019, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Another vote for bringing it to the pros.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Ask your local dealer who they use to repair wheels. I will bet they have a company who comes out to them regularly to repair wheels on their used vehicles.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have dealt with that sort of damage in two very different ways in the past. One was DIY with some fine sandpaper and a bit of clear lacquer. This gave an instant result and the damage could only be seen if I specifically looked for it. The other was to call my friendly scratched paint expert. I had to wait 2 months (he's good enough to be consistently booked out this far ahead) and it cost me $150. The result was perfect in that I couldn't find the damage even if I looked for it very carefully.

The first method provides instant gratification/relief, but an inferior long term result. I'd always choose the second option if I could make myself wait.

Of course, applying method 1 doesn't necessarily preclude getting method 2 done later.

With my previous car, it was going to a fancy dealer showroom for sale on consignment about 12 months ago and I didn't have time to wait for the expert. So, I tidied it up myself and I think it looked OK. Certainly no-one inspecting the car commented or seemed to notice it. This is one of the dealer's sales pics showing the wheel in question:

Unfortunately, I don't have a "before" photo - too disgusted and anxious to hide the evidence at the time!
Old 04-14-2019, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by HunterWagner
Shoot I will take it for $100. Anyone know of any shops in Houston they recommend?
JACE Auto. Ask for John, he is the owner. He is a big supporter of Audi Club of Houston and the community.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Daaavid
JACE Auto. Ask for John, he is the owner. He is a big supporter of Audi Club of Houston and the community.
Thanks David, you are a huge help. I will call them after Easter. I am hoping they can repair it quickly as I do not want to be out of a car for more than a day.

Quick Reply: Help with Curb Rash