A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A7 3.0 Quattro A/C Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 3.0 Quattro A/C Problem

I am really sorry if this has already been convered im new to this
I have just purchased a 2012 A7 Quatroo and absolutely love it. during the hot weather i turned on the A/c the light comes on but blows warm ait
Took it for a re gas but they said its not that. No leaks and they checked fuses etc and from that point all OK

Before i spend another fortune at the garage is this a common fault with an easy fix?

A few posts mention a sensor

Thank you
Old 04-23-2019, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Did they replace the air cabin filter? Is the compressor kicking on? I know this sounds like a dumb question but are you changing the temperature to a cold number or only turning it on?
Old 05-18-2019, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hi Dave

Thank you for your reply. They didn't change anything. Looks like there's no live feed to the compressor once switched on. So electrical or sensor fault. Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and send it to Audi 😭

Thank you for taking the time to reply
Old 05-22-2019, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi,
please excuse my English, but it is not my native language.

I bought the A7 in October 18 and didn't use the air conditioning until 2 weeks ago (I had the same problem waggers1977 mentioned).
When i turned on the A/C the light comes on but only warm air blows out.
I thought the car would have stood longer and the gas for the air conditioning wasn't there. I went to the Audi garage to refill the gas for the air conditioning. After 2,5 hours they have called me and told me, that everything is okay. There was no leak and the gas was also ok.
Then they connected a diagnostic device and 3 error messages came out (among other things: Error Code 256: Refrigerant pressure/temperature sensor is not working correctly (I live in Germany, here it is called: „Kältemitteldruck-/Temperatursensor“.)
They wanted first to check the other 2 Error Codes, which would cost me >1.500 Euro only to check it. Since it was too much money just for one check, I decided not to do it.

Then I went home and found out what it could be. It's a well-known problem that can be solved very easily. You have only to change a sensor, which takes about 10-15 minutes and where you don't need to have any experience. Instead of >1500 Euro, it only cost me <30 Euro.

In German forums they point out that in 99% of cases the sensor is defect and must be replaced, when the A/C is on and only warm air blows out.

Here are some pictures:

What I have bought (sensor) at amazon Germany:
Amazon Amazon

I don't guarantee anything. Everything you do is at your own risk. I just wanted to share it here, maybe it will help somebody

Best regards
Old 05-22-2019, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

According to other forums, you should be careful when installing the sensor and do not pull the new sensor too tight, otherwise it may cause other damages.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hi Dave

Thank you for that really comprehensive answer. Definitely worth a try. Sill question but will all the gas come out when I take the switch out
Old 05-22-2019, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No problem. I was afraid the gas would come out, too. But in other forums it is described that this cannot happen. Then I tested it and it was true. The gas does not come out. The System for the Gas Will not be opened.
I don't want to promise anything, all at your own risk. But it worked for me and others without any problems.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default You were Spot on!!

I chickened out and took the car to the garage It was the temp sensor and I felt far more confident explaing the problem. It cost £175 instead of £40 but I wasn't confident to do it

Thank you so much for taking the time to message me I really appreciate it.

All the best

John

Originally Posted by A7userA7
No problem. I was afraid the gas would come out, too. But in other forums it is described that this cannot happen. Then I tested it and it was true. The gas does not come out. The System for the Gas Will not be opened.
I don't want to promise anything, all at your own risk. But it worked for me and others without any problems.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This is a good thing to know about these cars. Thanks .