Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Retrofitting DAB on Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Retrofitting DAB+ Radio Concert facelift on Audi Q5 8R pref.

As a 4 fold research,
1. Part of Camera research for graphical display on back up camera interface, which fails to work on prefacelift Q5.
2. Retrofitting DAB on my non DAB radio concert Q5
3. Retrofitting Radio Concert Facelift on Prefacelift Q5
4. Fiscon/kufatec a2dp handsfree telephone on prefacelift is not stereo (will have to test if it makes a difference)

Will be upgrading my Radio Concert to part number 8R(1 LHD 2 RHD)035186(for RHD- A/G/P) (my existing part is 8T). Then will be upgrading its firmware to 0480. Then will try to code, then if it seems to work ok will remove CP.

A waste of time project or not, time will tell. When I will finish my research will post more info. Not sure how radio concert facelift behaves with HVAC from prefacelift. When I was testing HVAC facelift with radio concert prefacelift I was getting a radio firmware incompatibility message (VCDs scan), though the most crucial rejection reason was an adaptation channel inexistance which rendered the facelift HVAC upgrade incompatible with my AC hardware (ended up with a prefacelift HVAC 3 zone upgrade from 1 zone prefacelift. Will add the rear vent/console and piping in due time, AC works fine though some actuator valves are missing)

If there is a similar research please let me know.

I dont have any information on adaptation channels of radio concert facelift vs prefacelift. Will try to compare the two I have in hand to see what the differences are though radio with dab will have additional channels to fiddle with.

Last edited by apoelistas; 03-06-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Hey, great to have you back! Regarding radio, since I installed my cheap Android head unit I'm a happier man, I can now listen to my favorite local FM station while I'm on a road trip away from home, I use the TuneIn App which is great. Good luck with your mods!
Old 05-23-2019, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uncleiggy
Hey, great to have you back! Regarding radio, since I installed my cheap Android head unit I'm a happier man, I can now listen to my favorite local FM station while I'm on a road trip away from home, I use the TuneIn App which is great. Good luck with your mods!
Happy to see your reply. For the moment I refuse to buy an android infotainment because of having 3 interfaces which serve some of your android multimedia intetface functions like the bluetooth handsfree, back up camera
and aux a2dp sound though aux audio list cannot be controlled from the radio screen (disappointing way to control a2dp streaming).

Hoping to manage to solve some deficiencies or add some features to my current combination of interfaces without spending 500 for an android system however it is risky because
1. Adding DAB is not a straight forward procedure. I cannot find a complete harness cable/antenna for this upgrade.
2. Solving some of the prefacelift back up camera and a2dp live streaming deficiencies I have from my current interface combination is risky and not documented. There is a big questionmark if I will solve or not any of my current combination system deficiencies.
3. Spending 80 euros for a radio interface was not much, however removing Component Protection is not something I like doing after an upgrade. Done this after upgrading to 3 zone HVAC, and to gateway interface with extended can, and I was stressed about it.
4. Having no information of installing radio concert with dab facelift to my Q5 sounds exciting and an interesting sport trim upgrade. Might not be compatible with my prefacelift HVAC though. Will have to test before removing CP.

An unusual upgrade I have to admit, might be better deal getting an android multimedua interface from the beginning, what you have done.

I believe the facelift Radio Concert (with piano black colour effect) Supports DAB +, whereas prefacelift radio concert supports only DAB.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-27-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Just one question, how do you plan to install software for DAB ?

This is meta info:

release = "3G_DAB_K0098"
vendor = "HAD"
variant = "9307"
variant2 = "9308"
variant3 = "9303"
variant4 = "9304"
variant5 = "9302"
variant6 = "9301"
variant7 = "9400"
region = "Europe"
region2 = "RoW"

Last edited by spijun; 05-24-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by spijun
Just one question, how do you plan to install software for DAB ?

This is meta info:
RG3_ECE_0480.sgo

Is this not the latest firmware for facelift radio concert? 8R2035186? (A or G or P) comes with DAB. (for prefacelift latest is 0350 only available with VCP). This information I got from parts diagrams.

I have VCP System diagnostic which will probably take 3 hours to firmware update. Flashdaten upgrade with 13.2V stable voltage battery charger by ctek (I use 10 Amps with DRL off) and VCP diagnostic and a laptop with windows 10 x64 is what I use.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-24-2019 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Good luck with your retrofit. This is how my cheap Android headunit is looking like, fully integrated into the dash, good camera, CarPlay works fine and so does steering wheel controls for phone integration. I can even get fancy and fire up a phone call using Siri

Last edited by uncleiggy; 05-24-2019 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice photos. Might consider this upgrade next year, carplay and android auto seem to be the way forward rather upgrading to mmi 3g.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by apoelistas
RG3_ECE_0480.sgo

Is this not the latest firmware for facelift radio concert? 8R2035186? (A or G or P) comes with DAB. (for prefacelift latest is 0350 only available with VCP). This information I got from parts diagrams.

I have VCP System diagnostic which will probably take 3 hours to firmware update. Flashdaten upgrade with 13.2V stable voltage battery charger by ctek (I use 10 Amps with DRL off) and VCP diagnostic and a laptop with windows 10 x64 is what I use.
No, it's an old firmware for MMI Hnav and Hnav + which is still actual today, although there are new versions FW for MMI

Old 05-24-2019, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by spijun
No, it's an old firmware for MMI Hnav and Hnav + which is still actual today, although there are new versions FW for MMI

I dont follow.
The firmware RG3_ECE_0480.sgo is for radio concert, not mmi or mmi3g or mmi3g+ and this is the latest firmware. Usually if you check the firmware on latest hardware part e.g. 8R2035186P firmware is 0470.

Radio Concert also supports DAB (some models only) Yes???? I also believe that radio concert from facelift with dab, also supports dab plus.

Maybe your infotainment systems all come with mmi??

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-27-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Exactly, there are versions of Radio Concert with DAB

Multi Media Interface (MMI) exist in all new Audi models with navigation or without navigation

RG3_ECE_0480. sgo is only for radio concert , Bnav, Hnav and Hna+ using totally different system, 1.2 GB size last firmware is done in 20 minutes from the SD card

Last edited by spijun; 05-24-2019 at 06:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Retrofitting DAB on Audi Q5