Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Waze on MMI and Google map on VCD possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Waze on MMI and Google map on VCD possible?

MMI 1316 version 12. When I get the WAZE on the MMI Google map in the VCD gets replaced with a compass. Is there a trick to get the WAZE on MMI and the Google Navigation map on the VCD?
Old 05-25-2019, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Cant be done AFAIK. If you have active route guidance on the MMI, the VC will always show a compass. Till last year there was a Waze bug that let you have active route guidance in the MMI via Waze and you could still see Google Maps on the VC. However, this was patched and now doesn't work.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird. On my 2019 S4, I plugged my iPhone for the first time the other day and ran Waze on the central screen and google maps on the VCD no problem. I think I'm running MMI version 1316 - I'll have to check.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't having Waze route me though - maybe that was the difference?
Old 05-25-2019, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Krywicki
I wasn't having Waze route me though - maybe that was the difference?
That is the difference.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

I get the compass on the VCD even when WAZE is not providing directions. I use WAZE only on long trips primarily for current traffic and cops. IMO Android Auto is essentially useless if Google maps and WAZE will not work together on the VCD.and MMI.

Another observation - if I have the WAZE on the phone (not Android auto) and the Bluetooth is on, the WAZE stops announcing!
Old 05-26-2019, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

On Apple CarPlay, if I open Waze or Google Maps, the Virtual Cockpit map is still active. As soon as I enter in a destination on Google Maps or Waze through CarPlay, the VC map goes into a compass.

I know there was something before where you could play around with having the VC map routed first and then open up Waze with a routed destination and the VC map will remain. However, if what MRA5SB says is true, then the Waze update may have negated that.

I was never able to get Google Maps with a destination in CarPlay and the VC map to stay on together. I was able to do it with Waze though.

Try some of the items discussed in this thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...-font-2968187/
Old 05-26-2019, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 18A5SB

Another observation - if I have the WAZE on the phone (not Android auto) and the Bluetooth is on, the WAZE stops announcing!
I think you have to have the audio source selected to BT on the MMI, or go in to Waze settings and select "play sound to phone speakers"....neither of which is a great solution.
The following users liked this post:
Gloryb (05-27-2022)
Old 05-26-2019, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I get the compass on the VCD even when WAZE is not providing directions. I use WAZE only on long trips primarily for current traffic and cops. IMO Android Auto is essentially useless if Google maps and WAZE will not work together on the VCD.and MMI.

With Android Auto, the design is as follows:

--> MMI native map (which is NOT GOOGLE MAPS) and AA mapping app (either Google Maps or Waze) can both display at once without any active Turn-By-Turn directions run in either
--> If you start TBT in MMI native map, or in either AA mapping app (Google Maps or Waze) a signal is sent to the other system letting it know that navigation has started. Any previously running TBT instructions will stop.
--> In Audi vehicles (including the latest MMI touch system our cars don't have), if you start TBT directions in AA, the Audi system responds to the message sent by AA by shutting down the entire map software, and showing a ugly compass instead. Almost every other manufacturer stops TBT, but continues displaying their native map in secondary displays. Some manufacturers do really nice things, like Honda, who show the next turn in their native displays such as HUDs and instrument clusters

Until recently, AA Waze had a bug where it ignored the message that the native system started TBT, and so you could trick the sequence into allowing Waze to navigate TBT in AA, but having the native MMI showing its maps. However, Waze has fixed this bug in recent versions.

This design is so that you don't have the situation occur when the native MMI and AA are both providing turn voice instructions at the same time. This can be complicated in practice as a driver, but try again with your car and you'll notice that the "last TBT nav always wins" is the behavior, and if you start AA-based app nav, the MMI virtual cockpit will show an ugly compass.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

One thing you should try is to only use navigation on AA -- and *start* Waze in Android Auto with its map showing. Then switch to Google Maps and feed it your destination for active TBT. You'll find Waze is still running in the background and will provide any road / traffic alerts still, even though it doesn't have video focus. (Note, this will only work if your phone has enough application memory to have all of these apps running at once, most modern Android phones do).

Your MMI won't be usable for navigation, but Google Maps is the best of your choices for routing and navigation, and Waze is a good companion for traffic condition alerts. The MMI system is pretty weak sauce for both, and I generally leave it on the audio display to complement the navigation.

Quick Reply: Waze on MMI and Google map on VCD possible?