S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

best S6 model year for reliability

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best S6 model year for reliability

Hi All,
hope you can help me to educate on S6 model years. I was under impression that S6 would be very reliable platform since its out since 2013 with underpowered engine. But I saw some turbo issue threads and would like to know if there is any model year that is best in reliability?

thanks!
Old 06-13-2019, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

My 2013 S6 has been the most reliable car I have ever owned, but I have low mileage. I'm about 57k right now, I think. Never once had a single thing go wrong yet. Just scheduled maintenance every 10,000 miles.

I have a 2000 watt aftermarket stereo system, so my battery finally died after 5 years. Dealer gave me a new battery for free. Said the battery warranty was 6 years even though my factory warranty was over at 4 years.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
My 2013 S6 has been the most reliable car I have ever owned, but I have low mileage. I'm about 57k right now, I think. Never once had a single thing go wrong yet. Just scheduled maintenance every 10,000 miles.

I have a 2000 watt aftermarket stereo system, so my battery finally died after 5 years. Dealer gave me a new battery for free. Said the battery warranty was 6 years even though my factory warranty was over at 4 years.
Thanks for sharing! Are there any specific model years with turbo issues? Is there any good reason to buy 16yr+ because I think that 20hp increase is not acrually there. Per APR charts pre and post facelift models made same power.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:28 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by mFast
Thanks for sharing! Are there any specific model years with turbo issues? Is there any good reason to buy 16yr+ because I think that 20hp increase is not acrually there. Per APR charts pre and post facelift models made same power.
Right, there is no extra HP in the later models...they just updated the marketing spec to a more accurate HP number.
FWIW '13 is considered the least reliable...it is the first C7 model year in the US and has the most reported troubles and things that they learned failed on the '13 were subsequently updated/superseded in later models. (Obviously some have no issues as subterFUSE has pointed out). Like any car some have more issues than others, but I've been on the forums long enough to see more '13 issues reported than other years, but there may also be more '13 models on the road...so...
In general it is better to get the last model year of an outgoing design than the first of a new design. So the '16-'18 (also known as C7.5 and looks different than a C7 {just making sure you are aware}) will usually be the best/most reliable version of that design. Which is already proven since the '18 has the updated PCV, oil screen, coolant line o-rings, MMI, motor mounts, ECU/TCU updates etc. etc.
Hope that helps.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

The newest lowest mileage
one you can afford with the budget allocated to solve the turbo issues (which is labor intensive but not parts intensive), and a shop or person skilled in the procedure
Old 06-13-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
Right, there is no extra HP in the later models...they just updated the marketing spec to a more accurate HP number.
FWIW '13 is considered the least reliable...it is the first C7 model year in the US and has the most reported troubles and things that they learned failed on the '13 were subsequently updated/superseded in later models. (Obviously some have no issues as subterFUSE has pointed out). Like any car some have more issues than others, but I've been on the forums long enough to see more '13 issues reported than other years, but there may also be more '13 models on the road...so...
In general it is better to get the last model year of an outgoing design than the first of a new design. So the '16-'18 (also known as C7.5 and looks different than a C7 {just making sure you are aware}) will usually be the best/most reliable version of that design. Which is already proven since the '18 has the updated PCV, oil screen, coolant line o-rings, MMI, motor mounts, ECU/TCU updates etc. etc.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for the detailed info.
So I think 2018 is best year but it's going to be expensive right now. Why is there 133lb increase from my16? Also even with hot v easy access to turos why it takes 12k to fix it?
Old 06-13-2019, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
The newest lowest mileage
one you can afford with the budget allocated to solve the turbo issues (which is labor intensive but not parts intensive), and a shop or person skilled in the procedure
thanks! Is turbo issue very common or one off? I thought since audi uses this engine in much higher power models it's gonna be solid reliable. Also any trans problem?
Old 06-13-2019, 11:22 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the detailed info.
Why is there 133lb increase from my16? Also even with hot v easy access to turos why it takes 12k to fix it?
No particular reason for any weight gain....perhaps more standard features...acoustic front glass could be one reason..could just be documentation errata.
ALL Audis are expensive to maintain. Just because the turbos are on the top does not mean they are any easier/cheaper to fix than any others.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

thanks! Is turbo issue very common or one off? I thought since audi uses this engine in much higher power models it's gonna be solid reliable. Also any trans problem?
it's hit or miss

if the car hasn't had an issue and is low on the mileage side (my personal limit would be 50k), I would have the oil strainer "upgrade" done which should all but eliminate the need for turbo replacement down the road. Not a guarantee, but a very good insurance, and it's a fraction of the cost of doing turbos. This part has been revised a bunch of times over the years by Audi (I think it's on G now or maybe H, it's been a while since I looked, as I was considering an S6 for myself for a while). To the best of my knowledge, and one of the S6 guru's here (there are a bunch!) can correct me, 17-18s were built with the revised oil strainer

To me, this is a perfect car to buy as a CPO
Old 06-13-2019, 12:12 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
To the best of my knowledge, and one of the S6 guru's here (there are a bunch!) can correct me, 17-18s were built with the revised oil strainer
Not all '17's are safe AFAIK any 2017 S6 after VIN ending in 115286 should have the updated part "G" oil strainer as per TSB 21 18 29 2044640/4 May 22, 2018

Quick Reply: best S6 model year for reliability