Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Front bumper trashed, thoughts on options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front bumper trashed, thoughts on options?

Spatially challenged, negligent "family" member, who frankly shouldn't be out on the roads, hit the S5 in a very problematic spot while pulling out from a mile away. And I was planning to wash the car today...

Looks like my grille, bumper, and hood are all out of commission. Really hoping that hood edge can be restored, but it is not looking good in this picture. Hoping that there's no damage to parts behind the bumper cover, but not 100% sure since this occurred right before I needed to drop the car off to be tinted.

Anyhow, I'm scavenging for replacement parts at the moment. I've been meaning to replace the grille anyway.

I'm currently looking at the following bumpers (not planning to slap an RS5 badge with any of the RS5 kits):

1. https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...053642889.html (near exact RS5 conversion)
2. https://www.xenonz.co.uk/store/p1166...ck-5-door.html (xenonz's RS5 conversion)
3. https://audiparts.audiwilmingtonde.c...-8w6807065fgru (OEM S5 bumper cover)

I'm not sure if #3 will even work however...when it says W/O PRK SENSOR, does that mean that it doesn't come with the sensors or that the grille isn't for s5 models with sensors in the covers?

#2 is overpriced to me, so I think it's really between #1 and #3. Any advice on how I should proceed?

Last edited by 00I00; 07-12-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

None of your links work. They got truncated.

Regardless, what about insurance? Is that "family" member paying for it? That'd **** me off so much if someone else did that considering I never even scraped my tires or my bumper on anything with 15K. Another reason to not let anyone else drive your car.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Yeah I would have been pissed too.
None of the links work, but I'm aware of the Xenonz UK RS conversion. Now is a good time to do it. Just know that it will not work for people like me who have the front facing camera.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oof, my bad guys. Updated links:

#1 : Chinese RS Grille
#3 : OEM S5 Grille

Originally Posted by luder888
None of your links work. They got truncated.

Regardless, what about insurance? Is that "family" member paying for it? That'd **** me off so much if someone else did that considering I never even scraped my tires or my bumper on anything with 15K. Another reason to not let anyone else drive your car.
Stepfamily member who regards herself as a great driver due to her spotless driving record, that is if you exclude the two vehicles she's totaled herself within one year. Zero sympathy for her at this point since she managed to **** up my bumper in a similar manner backing into my car earlier this year (brushed up against the side which left a minor mark) and now has repeated her mistake except with the infliction of 10x worse damage.

Sorry, still seething whenever I see the picture.

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
Yeah I would have been pissed too.
None of the links work, but I'm aware of the Xenonz UK RS conversion. Now is a good time to do it. Just know that it will not work for people like me who have the front facing camera.
Good thing I cheaped out with a PPlus

Last edited by 00I00; 07-12-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Personally if I own a S5, I'd stick with a S5 bumper because otherwise nothing else will match the front bumper and it'd look ridiculous. Unless you also plan on upgrading your rear bumper and side skirts to RS5, I'd stick with the OEM. Also the fit and reliability of these Chinese RS-style bumpers are questionable.

Another option is to have said "family" member also rip off your rear bumper and side skirts so you can upgrade them!
Old 07-12-2019, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by luder888
Personally if I own a S5, I'd stick with a S5 bumper because otherwise nothing else will match the front bumper and it'd look ridiculous. Unless you also plan on upgrading your rear bumper and side skirts to RS5, I'd stick with the OEM. Also the fit and reliability of these Chinese RS-style bumpers are questionable.

Another option is to have said "family" member also rip off your rear bumper and side skirts so you can upgrade them!
That's a fair assessment. I feel like with the Xenon conversions, it almost looks tame enough to where you could maybe pull off the standalone grille? Planning on swapping out the rear diffuser later on regardless.

Know anyone personally that has purchased JC Sportsline products? There was a thread regarding their splitters and diffusers which seemed to be of decent quality. I'm still hesitant on taking this risk though.

Any idea on how I can verify that 8W6-807-065-F-GRU is a model number compatible with my vehicle besides contacting the dealership? Don't have access to any shop manuals unfortunately.

And if I sent her on some side quests to rip out the rest of my stock components, I'd come back to a heap of flaming rubble
Old 07-12-2019, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can't tell if this guy's is an RS5 (side skirts blend in if they're there) or an S5 with a grille conversion, but doesn't look too bad on a coupe imo. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25334155
Old 07-12-2019, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00I00
Can't tell if this guy's is an RS5 (side skirts blend in if they're there) or an S5 with a grille conversion, but doesn't look too bad on a coupe imo. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25334155
Looks like he has a S5 since the headlight grilles are missing. Yeah I like that look. So maybe it isn't so bad after all if the fit is good and paint matches.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

I think that hood is still salvageable. Bang out the bend, fill the imperfections and repaint. Tricky part might be making it blend into the front quarters, but when I had similar work done after a deer strike they were able to match it perfectly without having to blend.

Bumper is probably easier to replace than repair and they aren't all that expensive, and it sounds like you were looking for a new grill anyway. So probably not a huge deal monetarily speaking but I certainly understand your level of frustration (anger) with having someone else cause such a major disruption that you now get to deal with. If it were me I would probably put a restraining order on that family member that kept them 100 yards away from my car at all times. Also - make them pay for it - otherwise they won't think twice about being more careful the next time.
The following 2 users liked this post by njspeedfreak:
00I00 (07-13-2019), Nikon1 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
I think that hood is still salvageable. Bang out the bend, fill the imperfections and repaint. Tricky part might be making it blend into the front quarters, but when I had similar work done after a deer strike they were able to match it perfectly without having to blend.

Bumper is probably easier to replace than repair and they aren't all that expensive, and it sounds like you were looking for a new grill anyway. So probably not a huge deal monetarily speaking but I certainly understand your level of frustration (anger) with having someone else cause such a major disruption that you now get to deal with. If it were me I would probably put a restraining order on that family member that kept them 100 yards away from my car at all times. Also - make them pay for it - otherwise they won't think twice about being more careful the next time.
3 Miles distance might be safer. This is multiple times that this same _______ (fill in the blank) has damaged your vehicle(s)? You have more patience and understanding than I do.

— John
The following users liked this post:
00I00 (07-13-2019)

Quick Reply: Front bumper trashed, thoughts on options?