Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Dealer at it again- wont warranty rattling tensioner under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dealer at it again- wont warranty rattling tensioner under warranty

Lol buddy is telling me valves are covered under the tdi warranty but not tensioner.
Warranty clearly states entire long block.
as far as im aware- when you buy a long block from audi it comes complete sans manifolds and turbos.

How doni drill into these guys to honor their warranty?
Old 07-18-2019, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default sounds like you need a new dealer...

if the warranty is AUDI BACKED (not 3rd party) they have no recourse but to fix it.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Well technically the definition of a "Long-Block" does not usually include the accessory drive. I seem to recall my documents referring to it as the engine sub-assembly which included block, pistons, cams and valve train. But it can't hurt to call Audi to confirm.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

From the gen 1 warranty book: "Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft and valvetrain"

I think the angle you need to work is the "valve train"....the valve train doesn't work without chains and tensioners.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

take the chain off and flip the starter, then the crankshaft, pistons, cylinder head, camshaft and valve train will all need replaced... if that part fails, they WILL have to put a new motor in, preventative maintenance is a thing.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

oops sorry, I misunderstood and thought you were talking belt tensioner. The chains are definitely part of the valve-train and I would think be under warranty. I had a look at the agreement and this statement might help you.

"The Reduced Emissions Modification Extended Warranty will extend to all parts and labor related to the covered components, and it also will cover the cost or provision of a loaner vehicle for warranty service lasting longer than three hours."
Old 07-22-2019, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I read the vw court settlemetn documents. It clearly states long block including crankshaft, valvetrain, etc etc. Because thats what a long block is. When you get a long block form a JY or dealer, it is COMPLETE. All you put on are the manifolds, turbo if it needs it, and sometimes a fuel system. You do not take any sealed covers off, you dont install chains or tensioners.
If the dealer is a ***** abotu the tensioner not being specificaly called out ill have corporate write me a letter.
Heck if they had to spell out every little detail what is inside a long block, wed have a parts list 2 pages long.
From the official warranty booklet:
"Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that consists of the ASSEMBLED block, crankshaft, cyclinder head, camshaft, and valvetrain"
Above that section it says the entire turbo, piping system and entire fuel system also covered.

They sam camshaft (single). These engines have 4 cams. Again..if they had to write out explicitely every single part..it would take forrever. Long block means...WHOLE..ENGINE.

Main girle nut 1, main girdlt nut 2, Upper crank bearing, lower crank bearing...etc etc etc.
Irritates me that dealers are just so, so so out of the loop with the ONE product they need to be "experts" on.

I have had the car for 20k miles or so, Always change miles with VW507 approved oil every 6k miles, OEM oil filter. Its not an oil quality issue. The tensioners have a TSB on them, defective drainback valves cause the startup rattle.

I called a diff dealer and they said im not saying its covered, but im also not saying its not covered. They need to hear it for themselves..which is fine and completely understand. It has been doing it quite often on warm starts now so its time to bring it in. Have approx 20k miles left on the post fix warranty.
AFAIK the tensioner is one of the only weak points of the CNRB engine

Last edited by Greg5OH; 07-22-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

TDI 3.0 - timing chain tensioner covered under extended warranty? - TDIClub Forums
Old 07-24-2019, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Whole lot of mumbo jumbo on that thread. My noise is a chain tensioner. I have done enough of them on BVJ and other 2.0L jettas to know exactly what they sound like.
Anyway, once i rebuild the caliper son the s8 the Q7 is getting dropped off at the dealer and Im not taking no for an answer. Tension er is part of the long block assembly. Official documents say entire long block is covered, end of story. Ill report back once its done.
Just the worst part is, some days it does it on every cold and warm start..other days its silent. Depends where the engine stops rotating, whether there is tension on the chain or not. I suspect if it stops where there is tension on the chain-it will bleed the tensioner down (easier to bleed down when oil is hot and thin).

TSB ID:

NHTSA ID: 10093541
TSB ID: A15162820399952

This technical service bulletin instructs the reader to verify a rattling noise heard at cold start and to replace both upper chain tensioners of bank 1 and bank 2 with an optimized part

However, there is only 1 chain that drives the CNRB cams, and 1 tensioner only:

https://i.imgur.com/PviUHHx.jpg

There is an integrated tensioner that pushes both ways for the oil and high pressure fuel pump:
https://imgur.com/a/YaaOtj3

Either way, this is engine out, transmission off job. Very big undertaking, so definitely want to get this taken care of under warranty

Last edited by Greg5OH; 07-24-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dealer had car for 4 days. Service advisor knew exactly what I was talking about regarding the sound. Stated it is common and knows about the TSB.
Audi corp wont change the tensioner under warranty unless codes pop up (cam retarded/advanced over 6 degrees in relation to crank). Stated the tech checked the relation and it was well within new spec (ill verify myself after i get the car back this weekend).
Everyone knows there is a problem, but untill that problem becomes very serious-wont be covered under warranty.
Oh well. No diagnostic fee.

Have 22k left on warranty. I dont expect the chains to stretch anytime soon to cause a P code.

Quick Reply: Dealer at it again- wont warranty rattling tensioner under warranty