A6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 produced from 2018

Electric System Failure - very long repair time

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Electric System Failure - very long repair time

I experienced a total failure of the electric system in my 2019 A6. Car stopped running in the middle of the road. Had to use the tool in the trunk to manually switch the car to neutral so I could push it off the road. Car was towed to the Audi dealer in my area. They have had it for three weeks and the only think they can tell is that the parts needed (alternator, 48 V battery) are on backorder and they have no idea when they will come in.

Fortunately, the car is under warranty so the loaner is covered but this experience has me thinking I should sell it before the warranty runs out (one more year). Anyone else experience very long delay times with their Audi or is this a one off?
The following 3 users liked this post by Rburgundy:
Audi3322JX (01-15-2024), GoChaseGo (02-22-2023), TheWakerleyWitch (01-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2021, 03:55 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

The WHOLE WORLD is experiencing parts shortages and delays.
Be glad they have a loaner for you as those are in short supply too.
...and yes, sell it before the warranty expires.
The following users liked this post:
Spock1234 (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2022, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rburgundy
I experienced a total failure of the electric system in my 2019 A6. Car stopped running in the middle of the road. Had to use the tool in the trunk to manually switch the car to neutral so I could push it off the road. Car was towed to the Audi dealer in my area. They have had it for three weeks and the only think they can tell is that the parts needed (alternator, 48 V battery) are on backorder and they have no idea when they will come in.

Fortunately, the car is under warranty so the loaner is covered but this experience has me thinking I should sell it before the warranty runs out (one more year). Anyone else experience very long delay times with their Audi or is this a one off?
Very sorry that this happened to your '19 A6. If you don't mind, can you tell us how many miles your A6 had when this issue occurred? My '19 A6 has 21k miles so curious to know if this is something I need to lookout for.
DadAudi (01-05-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same thing happened to me on Saturday. I was stuck at a light on a busy intersection. I had just taken my car in on thursday for 40k service. They didn't see anything wrong with the car. 36 hours later and I had undrivable car. The crazy thing is I called them 2 hours before to tell them about the malfunction warning and they didn't show any concern. I called them a second time when the car warned me to pull over safely. Still no big concern to them. they just scheduled me a appointment for the following week. 15 mins after talking to them the second time my car lost all power. Every warning light imaginable popped up before it stopped. I had to get a rental because the shop was closing when I got it towed there. Was told today they didn't have a loaner for me. I hope they get one soon.
Spock1234 (01-04-2023)
Old 01-17-2022, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah getting loaners these days are tough. I’m in the SF Bay Area and my dealer had a 2-3 week long waitlist to get a loaner. I had problems with my massage seats a second time and each time it’s taken about a month to fix because of parts being on back order.
DadAudi (01-17-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Same thing just happened

Originally Posted by kenbo78
The same thing happened to me on Saturday. I was stuck at a light on a busy intersection. I had just taken my car in on thursday for 40k service. They didn't see anything wrong with the car. 36 hours later and I had undrivable car. The crazy thing is I called them 2 hours before to tell them about the malfunction warning and they didn't show any concern. I called them a second time when the car warned me to pull over safely. Still no big concern to them. they just scheduled me a appointment for the following week. 15 mins after talking to them the second time my car lost all power. Every warning light imaginable popped up before it stopped. I had to get a rental because the shop was closing when I got it towed there. Was told today they didn't have a loaner for me. I hope they get one soon.
The exact thing just happened to me. Got a Electrical system failure warning light on the ride to work. The ride home got interesting with every warning message possible popping up and then the car completely stopping. The entire dash and all screens went black. It’s at the dealership now.

Will report back with diagnosis and repair time.

‘19 A6 with 30k miles.

The following 2 users liked this post by jeffk1320:
Bori21 (04-30-2023), DadAudi (09-24-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffk1320
The exact thing just happened to me. Got a Electrical system failure warning light on the ride to work. The ride home got interesting with every warning message possible popping up and then the car completely stopping. The entire dash and all screens went black. It’s at the dealership now.

Will report back with diagnosis and repair time.

‘19 A6 with 30k miles.
What date of manufacture is your car according to the door pillar? Is your car a Prestige model and have the S-Line option?
Thanks in advance.
GoChaseGo (02-22-2023)
Old 09-24-2022, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My generator died on my 2019 A6 Prestige at about 70k miles in January of this year. It took seven weeks to get the generator. $4k+ repair. I was on a long distance trip when it happened - but thankfully it died near an Audi dealership. Symptoms lowered like everyone else had indicated. It started with an electrical system failure and progress to a complete shutdown of the vehicle within 40 miles.
Spock1234 (01-04-2023)
Old 09-25-2022, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 894 Likes on 732 Posts

I am hoping this is a “year one” problem, as I recently took delivery of my 2022.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rburgundy

I'm collecting info on those that have experiences this failure. Please provide your date of manufacture as well as the mileage of your 2019 A6/7/8. I'm trying to build a correlation to manufacture date.

My date of manufacture (A7 Prestige, S-Line) is Sept 2018 (09 18) according to the specification sticker on the driver's door (not the door jamb or pillar). The system failed at about 37,500 miles on the odometer. Similar symptoms as yours.

Let me know what your model, trim package, manufacture date and mileage are and we'll have more data points.

Thanks.
Spock1234 (01-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Electric System Failure - very long repair time