TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Audi TT 225 - Downpipe installation - helpful info

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi TT 225 - Downpipe installation - helpful info

Hello TT community,

I registered primarily to hopefully help some folks out if you're planning to install an aftermarket downpipe or you have a broken flex pipe.

A bit of background, I picked up a 2002 Audi tt 225 about 2 months ago....it was great until I started to hear an exhaust leak coming from the middle of the car. Upon inspection, I was told my flex pipe is broken. I must have called at least 5 reputable shops near me looking to either replace the flex pipe or replace the entire downpipe. One shop quoted me $850 just to get the flex pipe replaced. Some shops said they wouldn't touch it because it's old. After doing a bunch of research I ordered a catted downpipe from CTS Turbo and took it to 905 Auto (here in ON, Canada). The downpipe was $800 and labour was $350. Took about 3 hours to install - the bolts did not snap off, but had to be heated which makes them useless if you're planning to re-use them. I also ordered new gasket and bolts for the turbo side (because i knew the old ones would be bad) directly from Audi. To get the old one out they had to slightly lower the sub-frame as there was almost no way to get your hand in there. There was a lot of lifting the car/lowering the car, so if you're planning to do DIY...it's not an easy job.

You might be wondering why the new downpipe looks really different from the OEM one, here are some pics:

Audi TT Album

The first pic is the old cat and the broken flex pipe, this piece will be completely removed with the CTS installation. The next two pics is the CTS downpipe installed. There is a bit of nice growl coming from the downpipe, but I would say it's quiet (running OEM catback). I got the car tuned the same day, running stage 2 unitronics. The car drives really nice now and def has very good top-end power. A CTS DV is on the way.

The tech said there is a leak somewhere that I need to look into when I get a chance...good times ahead.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have a Coupe or a Roadster? CTS says their Downpipe only fits the Coupe. I have a Roadster and would love to get a 3" Downpipe. Like you, I'm in Canada, which makes getting these kinds of parts pretty difficult.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the coupe. And yeah CTS downpipe will not fit a roadster.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ric0shea
Do you have a Coupe or a Roadster? CTS says their Downpipe only fits the Coupe. I have a Roadster and would love to get a 3" Downpipe. Like you, I'm in Canada, which makes getting these kinds of parts pretty difficult.
The roadster subframe has some extra structural members, i believe that people on forums have posted that they used a grinder to trim off a portion to get 3" downpipes to fit.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audi_tt225
Hello TT community,

I registered primarily to hopefully help some folks out if you're planning to install an aftermarket downpipe or you have a broken flex pipe.

A bit of background, I picked up a 2002 Audi tt 225 about 2 months ago....it was great until I started to hear an exhaust leak coming from the middle of the car. Upon inspection, I was told my flex pipe is broken. I must have called at least 5 reputable shops near me looking to either replace the flex pipe or replace the entire downpipe. One shop quoted me $850 just to get the flex pipe replaced. Some shops said they wouldn't touch it because it's old. After doing a bunch of research I ordered a catted downpipe from CTS Turbo and took it to 905 Auto (here in ON, Canada). The downpipe was $800 and labour was $350. Took about 3 hours to install - the bolts did not snap off, but had to be heated which makes them useless if you're planning to re-use them. I also ordered new gasket and bolts for the turbo side (because i knew the old ones would be bad) directly from Audi. To get the old one out they had to slightly lower the sub-frame as there was almost no way to get your hand in there. There was a lot of lifting the car/lowering the car, so if you're planning to do DIY...it's not an easy job.

You might be wondering why the new downpipe looks really different from the OEM one, here are some pics:

Audi TT Album

The first pic is the old cat and the broken flex pipe, this piece will be completely removed with the CTS installation. The next two pics is the CTS downpipe installed. There is a bit of nice growl coming from the downpipe, but I would say it's quiet (running OEM catback). I got the car tuned the same day, running stage 2 unitronics. The car drives really nice now and def has very good top-end power. A CTS DV is on the way.

The tech said there is a leak somewhere that I need to look into when I get a chance...good times ahead.

hey just curious how the stage 2 tune is. I’ve been considering getting a stage 2 done. Also you are using the downpipe with the stock cat back exhaust?