Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Water in Spare Tire Well. What amount is acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Water in Spare Tire Well. What amount is acceptable?

Hello All,

Love the community. I have a 2009 Audi Q7 that recently had the bose amp go out (not my first time but first with this vehicle.) I found a good gallon of water in my spare tire well which was obviously due to water not draining out the lines and eventually making it to this area.

I pulled the amp, inspected the drain plugs by exposing them under the headliner, remove the horribly designed coupling, heated it up and molded it to a socket, reinstalled them and added 2 zip ties. This process was simple and I knwo is the long term solution.

But... Even after all this work I am still finding water in my spare tire well. Its significantly less however currently > .5 cups.

So my question is two fold, where does it come from and how much is expectable?
Old 03-16-2023, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

There should not be any water in your spare tire area.
Old 03-16-2023, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackfunk
There should not be any water in your spare tire area.
Ditto, check your sunroof drains.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 254 Likes on 217 Posts

Definitely never any water. You said you got the drains.... I think there is a drain on all four corners of the rails... did you get all of them? Did you also get in there and clear any debris out of the track that could be preventing water from reaching the tubes in the first place? You'll also need to verify that the lower end of the tubes, in the wheel wells, is clear of blockages so as to allow the water to fully drain from the tubes.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 728 Likes on 603 Posts

Don't forget there's a rear HVAC condensate drain; easy to be hyper-focused on those sunroof drains, and forget about this one. Same story as with front condensate drain for HVAC system; it'll sneak up on you.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Okay so to confirm, there are 4 drain tubes exiting the rear sunroof? I repaired the 2 but didn't see anymore.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

How would you describe condensate line? Is it the same material as the sunroof drains?
Old 03-16-2023, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 728 Likes on 603 Posts

In the front footwell, it's just a hard plastic piece that connects to the bottom of HVAC condenser housing and exits directly out via car's firewall, etc.

In the left, rear of car, Q7s with 4 zone climate control will have the secondary air intake/HVAC condenser unit, for managing the rear rows of seating, etc., which looks a lot like an extended speaker grill, but it's right above the cargo floor on just the one side. Unsure of the tubing material used, but mine exits the drain tube behind the left, rear wheel, and it is inboard about 5-6 inches from outer sheet metal/side of the car.

When A/C is running, and you take a look around after driving for a bit, then you should see condensate water dripping from front right (inboard, behind rt/frt wheel), and from the left rear quarter behind the wheel from rear HVAC condensate drain tube, if rear system is activated, which normally it should be.
The following users liked this post:
ark_quo (04-28-2024)
Old 03-19-2023, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sunroof drains on this vintage were too narrow. Susceptible to failure. Should replace them with the larger diameter hoses.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks so much! Ill report back after I get it cleaned up
The following users liked this post:
-Wes- (03-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Water in Spare Tire Well. What amount is acceptable?