Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Rear Hatch remote closing module

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Rear Hatch remote closing module

So I finally got around to purchasing another module and installing it with a few pictures. Works like a champ, and seamlessly integrates without cutting or modifying anything. I previously purchased a module from a user here on the forum and it required using vampire taps (splicing) to the hatch mechanism in the rear hatch, using a level for the trigger. I despise using taps, so I never actually installed it (it's sitting around in its box somewhere around here). So while scrolling one of the many groups on FaceBook (uuhhgggg) I saw a user give a quick demo of a rear module he found and installed. That reignited the draw to 'fix' the rear hatch as it should have came.

I ordered: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa. and it showed up in a few weeks. The install was literally 10 minutes in the dark.
Tools I used, were a Torx driver to remove the white rear hatch support to secure the module wiring and the new module in the headliner. Then Tesa tape to silence the wiring and module, should it make any noise shifting around during the lifetime of the Q7.

On to the install, remove the rear upper headliner trim piece that meets the rear upper seal. (Pops off with your hands)

Unplug the left hatch module and plug in the 'New' hatch module. STOP AND CHECK THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE HATCH MODULE. Press that hatch button once and the hatch sound lock. Push it again and it should close. Mess around with it. Verify it works correctly before you do anything else. If its good to go, then proceed.

I Tesa tapped the wires, and the back of the exposed metal 'module' so that I wouldn't have any possible rattling issues.

Then pick where you want to install it. I chose to mount it on a spare spot in the same hatch area.

See that white plastic hatch support piece? Remove that and tuck the wiring behind it, and 3M tape the module in place. Then refasten the support piece, push the trim back into place and you're done.

Module works like this, open the hatch, click the hatch button (inside the driver door or the Q7 key hatch button) that locks the car, click the hatch button again and it closes. Works like a champ.

Last edited by Built4Sin; 09-13-2023 at 08:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Built4Sin:
finnd1 (10-03-2023), WakeX2 (09-18-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts

Would love to have that, but my Q is apparently too old for someone to make one.
Old 09-14-2023, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Built4Sin
So I finally got around to purchasing another module and installing it with a few pictures. Works like a champ, and seamlessly integrates without cutting or modifying anything. I previously purchased a module from a user here on the forum and it required using vampire taps (splicing) to the hatch mechanism in the rear hatch, using a level for the trigger. I despise using taps, so I never actually installed it (it's sitting around in its box somewhere around here). So while scrolling one of the many groups on FaceBook (uuhhgggg) I saw a user give a quick demo of a rear module he found and installed. That reignited the draw to 'fix' the rear hatch as it should have came.

I ordered: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa. and it showed up in a few weeks. The install was literally 10 minutes in the dark.
Tools I used, were a Torx driver to remove the white rear hatch support to secure the module wiring and the new module in the headliner. Then Tesa tape to silence the wiring and module, should it make any noise shifting around during the lifetime of the Q7.

On to the install, remove the rear upper headliner trim piece that meets the rear upper seal. (Pops off with your hands)

Unplug the left hatch module and plug in the 'New' hatch module. STOP AND CHECK THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE HATCH MODULE. Press that hatch button once and the hatch sound lock. Push it again and it should close. Mess around with it. Verify it works correctly before you do anything else. If its good to go, then proceed.

I Tesa tapped the wires, and the back of the exposed metal 'module' so that I wouldn't have any possible rattling issues.

Then pick where you want to install it. I chose to mount it on a spare spot in the same hatch area.

See that white plastic hatch support piece? Remove that and tuck the wiring behind it, and 3M tape the module in place. Then refasten the support piece, push the trim back into place and you're done.

Module works like this, open the hatch, click the hatch button (inside the driver door or the Q7 key hatch button) that locks the car, click the hatch button again and it closes. Works like a champ.
No issues, huh?
I know many have asked about this, but this is the first of I have seen of one, being successful also!
I could only justify the expense for when I accidentally and inadvertantly press the hatch button while doing something else around the house and someone asking why the hatch is up, usually an hour later during a rain storm and I don't want to run out there to close it!
Old 09-14-2023, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jbgilbank
No issues, huh?
I know many have asked about this, but this is the first of I have seen of one, being successful also!
I could only justify the expense for when I accidentally and inadvertantly press the hatch button while doing something else around the house and someone asking why the hatch is up, usually an hour later during a rain storm and I don't want to run out there to close it!
I have one as well, works great. I've had it installed for over a year now and haven't had any issues except once I was showing it off to a buddy with the same car and it would not work. After he left it started working again. LOL. Hasn't happened since. With mine you press the Nav button to close or press and hold the trunk button on the key fob.
The following 3 users liked this post by Blackfunk:
-Wes- (09-15-2023), Built4Sin (09-18-2023), finnd1 (10-03-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Just ordered one as well
Old 09-18-2023, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you looks Awesome
Old 09-18-2023, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I also have one and it works just fine. Slight difference. I close mine from inside the car using the telephone voice button on the steering wheel. I guess this is how it's setup. Why, I don't know. But it works.
The following users liked this post:
-Wes- (09-19-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by jbain2
I also have one and it works just fine. Slight difference. I close mine from inside the car using the telephone voice button on the steering wheel. I guess this is how it's setup. Why, I don't know. But it works.
That's the way my ebay module works.
On my last Q7 I had the KUFATEC module that uses blutooth to your phone and it was very laggy and glitchy. For the money the ebay box is better.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Got mine today. The install took, not joking, five minutes. Tested it by closing the tailgate, opening the driver's door, pressing the button on the door, watch the tailgate rise to full open, press button on door again, watch it close. Then tried it with the remote trunk button. same result. Best five minute modification I've done in a long time.

The following 3 users liked this post by JLCampbell:
-Wes- (10-03-2023), Built4Sin (09-29-2023), finnd1 (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto. After a brief delay at customs the package arrived. Five minutes later it was installed and tested. Can't recommend this "mod" enough
The following 2 users liked this post by finnd1:
Built4Sin (10-03-2023), JLCampbell (10-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch remote closing module