Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

NOT the torque converter, right?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOT the torque converter, right?!

Gathering all options to attempt to correct the problem with my car. The car hasn't been driven down the road in over 2 years. During that time I replaced a fan control module that fried, the air suspension valve block, brakes, and battery. I had the car parked in an open door garage, on gravel, which that garage apparently retains a good amount a moisture, which I think is what caused the fan control module to corrode and fail. The car starts and idles fine, earlier in the week I finally took it for a stroll a few miles down the road to put fresh gas in it and this happened...

This problem was not present when I initially parked the car a few years ago. At the gas station, I shut the engine off, added fuel, I did hear a bit of a hiss when I inserted the nozzle into the filler neck which was weird to me. Go to start the engine to go home, and it cranked for ten seconds but didn't start. did that twice, then finally fired up, sluggishly, then smoothed out. I have only put roughly 5 miles on the car since these symptoms have started, and thus far no CEL have popped up. Scanned with VCDS and the only thing to come up with the engine or trans was a p1602 low voltage fault. The car is loud in the video because one of the downpipes that I replaced a few years back rotted at the flex joint and failed, so it only has one bank of exhaust hooked up, and essentially running open header on the driver's side. That's another issue for sure!

Judging by the video, what are you thinking the issue may be? I am really hoping it isn't the torque converter because if it is, I may end up just parting the car or simply selling it to someone who has the time and energy to put into it. Other options that have been suggested are perhaps vacuum leak, Throttle body adaptation (my next step) an issue with MAF (plan on unplugging and running it down the road for a few miles to see if anything changes) or possibly a TCM issue.

The first 20-30 seconds, then skip ahead to roughly 1:40 in the video to get the meat and potatoes of whats going on.

Last edited by dubblrest1985; 11-15-2023 at 05:15 AM.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

*Edited with viewable video!
Old 11-16-2023, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 173 Likes on 163 Posts

It's the torque converter, locking and unlocking (when it should be one or the other).
The following users liked this post:
dubblrest1985 (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
It's the torque converter, locking and unlocking (when it should be one or the other).

If it’s something mechanical, wouldn’t it do it in both auto mode and TIP mode? Took the car for a quick trip today to put some miles on it and try to get the system to pick up trouble codes and decided to take another video to off what it’s doing, in different situations.

Last edited by dubblrest1985; 11-20-2023 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-20-2023, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 173 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by dubblrest1985
If it’s something mechanical, wouldn’t it do it in both auto mode and TIP mode? Took the car for a quick trip today to put some miles on it and try to get the state to pick up trouble codes and decided to take another video to off what it’s doing, in different situations.
I didn't say it was mechanical, just that the torque converter is locking and unlocking. It might be the TCM (likely) or the transmission itself (unlikely) commanding the torque converter to lock and unlock.

This is why I only buy manual transmission cars.
dubblrest1985 (11-20-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

What is the mileage? When was the last trans fluid and filter change along with cleaning the pan magnets?

I flush stock engine tiptronic transmissions at least every 150,000KM and tuned engine tiptronics at least every 100,000KM.

A lot of 4.2 tip transmissions fail around 250,000KM due to no fluid maintenance.
dubblrest1985 (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiAllTheWay
What is the mileage? When was the last trans fluid and filter change along with cleaning the pan magnets?

I flush stock engine tiptronic transmissions at least every 150,000KM and tuned engine tiptronics at least every 100,000KM.

A lot of 4.2 tip transmissions fail around 250,000KM due to no fluid maintenance.

fluid drained and filter change 25-30k miles ago. Car currently has 135k on it.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

After putting 5k+ miles on this scenario, she certainly didn't fix herself! Anyways, finally found my VagCom Cable that had been MIA since x-mas. Scanned today and no codes related to engine, but 2 related to transmission P0706 for the F125 sensor, which I had intermittently from the time I bought the car until I parked it (2015-2019ish), that would only pop up when it rained, sometimes. January 27th, after my hour long commute in the rain, I selected reverse, from drive, in order to back into my spot, and that's when the dash cluster gear selector icon letters all lit up.

The other code which seems to be related is 01119 (Under the ABS address) for Gear Recognition Signal.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dubblrest1985
Gathering all options to attempt to correct the problem with my car. The car hasn't been driven down the road in over 2 years. During that time I replaced a fan control module that fried, the air suspension valve block, brakes, and battery. I had the car parked in an open door garage, on gravel, which that garage apparently retains a good amount a moisture, which I think is what caused the fan control module to corrode and fail. The car starts and idles fine, earlier in the week I finally took it for a stroll a few miles down the road to put fresh gas in it and this happened... snapchatplanetorder

This problem was not present when I initially parked the car a few years ago. At the gas station, I shut the engine off, added fuel, I did hear a bit of a hiss when I inserted the nozzle into the filler neck which was weird to me. Go to start the engine to go home, and it cranked for ten seconds but didn't start. did that twice, then finally fired up, sluggishly, then smoothed out. I have only put roughly 5 miles on the car since these symptoms have started, and thus far no CEL have popped up. Scanned with VCDS and the only thing to come up with the engine or trans was a p1602 low voltage fault. The car is loud in the video because one of the downpipes that I replaced a few years back rotted at the flex joint and failed, so it only has one bank of exhaust hooked up, and essentially running open header on the driver's side. That's another issue for sure!

Judging by the video, what are you thinking the issue may be? I am really hoping it isn't the torque converter because if it is, I may end up just parting the car or simply selling it to someone who has the time and energy to put into it. Other options that have been suggested are perhaps vacuum leak, Throttle body adaptation (my next step) an issue with MAF (plan on unplugging and running it down the road for a few miles to see if anything changes) or possibly a TCM issue.

The first 20-30 seconds, then skip ahead to roughly 1:40 in the video to get the meat and potatoes of whats going on.
In automotive engineering, the torque converter is indeed a crucial component, especially in vehicles with automatic transmissions. It serves to transmit power from the engine to the transmission, allowing the vehicle to move smoothly and efficiently. However, in the context of your question, it seems like you're referring to something else entirely. Perhaps you're discussing a different automotive part or system, or maybe you're exploring a different topic altogether. If you provide more context or clarify your question, I'd be happy to create a relevant paragraph for you!