A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

DL 382 'Gen 2' TCU tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DL 382 'Gen 2' TCU tune

Hello,

Long time lurker, finally made a profile to join the conversation.

I have a 2019 B9 A4 and have recently installed a high flow catalytic converter, downpipe, intercooler, charge pipes and air intake, and have had the 'Stage 2' Unitronic tune installed at a local dealer. The parts were fairly easy to install myself and went in over a weekend (a few late nights but nothing crazy) and the tune feels great. The tuner I went to told me that they were not able to install the Uni TCU tune and that they would need to contact them to check the availability. I didn't hear back from them so I reached out to Unitronic myself and they said that I likely had the 'Gen 2' DL382 transmission, and that this transmission was still 'locked' and that they could not tune it. Unitronic has been pretty helpful in their responses overall, but I'm hoping to get a little more information about the 'Gen2' DL382.

I've gone deep down the rabbit hole on these transmissions a few times and have seen a lot of conflicting information and always end up confusing myself. Is anyone able to describe the difference between the 'Gen1' and 'Gen2' versions of these transmissions with regards to the torque limit? The Stage 2 tune I have on the car is puts the torque well above the 400nm spec of the Gen1, but I've read on some forums that the Gen2 has an additional clutch plate and higher limits, can anyone confirm this? I've experienced no clutch slips or limp mode with the tune so far, but I also haven't been pushing the car very hard while looking into this. Does anyone know if this new IE TCU tune works for the Gen2 and why they might have been able to 'unlock' and tune this where Uni could not?

Cheers!
Old 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GsStratt
Hello,

Long time lurker, finally made a profile to join the conversation.

I have a 2019 B9 A4 and have recently installed a high flow catalytic converter, downpipe, intercooler, charge pipes and air intake, and have had the 'Stage 2' Unitronic tune installed at a local dealer. The parts were fairly easy to install myself and went in over a weekend (a few late nights but nothing crazy) and the tune feels great. The tuner I went to told me that they were not able to install the Uni TCU tune and that they would need to contact them to check the availability. I didn't hear back from them so I reached out to Unitronic myself and they said that I likely had the 'Gen 2' DL382 transmission, and that this transmission was still 'locked' and that they could not tune it. Unitronic has been pretty helpful in their responses overall, but I'm hoping to get a little more information about the 'Gen2' DL382.

I've gone deep down the rabbit hole on these transmissions a few times and have seen a lot of conflicting information and always end up confusing myself. Is anyone able to describe the difference between the 'Gen1' and 'Gen2' versions of these transmissions with regards to the torque limit? The Stage 2 tune I have on the car is puts the torque well above the 400nm spec of the Gen1, but I've read on some forums that the Gen2 has an additional clutch plate and higher limits, can anyone confirm this? I've experienced no clutch slips or limp mode with the tune so far, but I also haven't been pushing the car very hard while looking into this. Does anyone know if this new IE TCU tune works for the Gen2 and why they might have been able to 'unlock' and tune this where Uni could not?

Cheers!
No, the Gen2 TCU (the computer driving the physical mechanics of the tranny) has not been unlocked and IE will not work, yet, until they unlock that TCU.

​​​​​​I don't know for sure if the same physical implementation (dl382) is on the 2019 model, but they just have a different TCU, or if there were changes made to the dl382 in conjunction with the TCU upgrade. I suspect the newer TCU and software was to fix some minor annoyances of the operation of the dl382 and that the same gearbox hardware is used.

But you're right, it's hard to find out without connections, and unfortunately, IE and other tune shops are not very good with sharing the basic specs they are engineering their way around.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I found this on another forum, posting here for more visibility: "Sorry to dig this up but I have been researching the DL382+ for a while now because the MY19 B9's still have not gotten anything in the way of a trans tune. I did find a specific list of changes between the DL382 0CL and DL382+ 0HL. Audi specifies that there is one extra clutch plate per clutch assembly (so 2 added plates) and it uses a 'cross bar design". Piston surface area is increased 10%. The dual mass flywheel is upgraded to handle increased torque, and there are modifications to the intake for the ATF pump, increased fluid flow from the pump, and and oversized oil cooler as well as software modifications. Overall the design appears to be virtually identical in almost every other way, I was wondering if it was possible to just use the 0HL clutch assembly with the additional clutch plates as a factory replacement."

I'm going to message the user that posted this to see where they got this information, I will follow up with more info if I find it with regards to the torque limit
Old 04-27-2024, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Good information

Just wanted to share my experience I have had. I own a 2019 B9 A5 sportback S-Line 45 tfsi. I have done research on tuners and was looking for power but also a car I could daily and still handle the power on stock internals. I went with tuner IE (INTEGRATED ENGINEERING) I went with first their stage 1 tune and the IE cold air intake. Had that for about 6 or 7 months till I wanted more then bought stage 2 tune on 91 octane (Cause here in California, USA its the most readily available) IE FDS intercooler and IE downpipe. It has been fun! No issues still to this day! I then tried to buy the IE tcu tune found out by IE my transmission is a gen 2 and cannot accept a tune. Then looked else where if there is any support yet for a gen 2 transmission but I have not seen anything yet.
Old 04-27-2024, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=Dankvapor71vER3SIN;25902852]Just wanted to share my experience I have had. I own a 2019 B9 A5 sportback S-Line 45 tfsi. I have done research on tuners and was looking for power but also a car I could daily and still handle the power on stock internals. I went with tuner IE (INTEGRATED ENGINEERING) I went with first their stage 1 tune and the IE cold air intake. Had that for about 6 or 7 months till I wanted more then bought stage 2 tune on 91 octane (Cause here in California, USA its the most readily available) IE FDS intercooler and IE downpipe. It has been fun! No issues still to this day! I then tried to buy the IE tcu tune found out by IE my transmission is a gen 2 and cannot accept a tune. Then looked else where if there is any support yet for a gen 2 transmission but I have not seen anything yet. When driving and testing on stage 2. I have got readings that the charge pipe psi and intake manifold are carrying at roughly 3,700 rpm and psi at 39 Psi. I also have a reading at top torque on this stage 2 I believe it was 419. It impressed me nonetheless.