Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Ignorant Thermostat Install question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignorant Thermostat Install question.

Hello Audiworld Internet,
I'm replacing my thermostat and I have a question. Once the thermostat is torqued down, do I force the new thermostat itself out of its 3 forks holding the plastic housing? see pic of new thermostat. When I pulled the old thermostat it exploded out of the housing and the hooks were in the bottom of the thermostat basin. So, I don't know if you just torque it down and let time pop the mounts, or do you push the mounts out once it's installed? Any help before I button it up would be appreciated.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I forgot to add that the service manual states: When removing and installing the coolant thermostat, make sure thatthe thermostat needle is installed correctly (the conical end is inserted in the coolant thermostat wax thermo-static element). If necessary, push the thermostat needle all the way into the wax thermostatic element.

Which is why I'm a little confused on the 3 hooks.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by magichut
I'm replacing my thermostat and I have a question. Once the thermostat is torqued down, do I force the new thermostat itself out of its 3 forks holding the plastic housing? see pic of new thermostat. When I pulled the old thermostat it exploded out of the housing and the hooks were in the bottom of the thermostat basin. So, I don't know if you just torque it down and let time pop the mounts, or do you push the mounts out once it's installed? Any help before I button it up would be appreciated.

I forgot to take a picture of how the T stat goes into the elbow on the top of an L6 226 when it was disassembled. Usually the thermostat itself has radiator or some type of arrow which you point to the radiator on install but for the life of me I can't find any markings on my new one. Could somebody help me out or just link a picture? Couldn't find anything on here or online that was definitive.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by magichut
I'm replacing my thermostat and I have a question. Once the thermostat is torqued down, do I force the new thermostat itself out of its 3 forks holding the plastic housing? see pic of new thermostat. When I pulled the old thermostat it exploded out of the housing and the hooks were in the bottom of the thermostat basin. So, I don't know if you just torque it down and let time pop the mounts wrecker service brownsville tx, or do you push the mounts out once it's installed? Any help before I button it up would be appreciated.

Which direction should the thermostat point? 73 F100, 360 engine. I replaced mine yesterday, and the pointed end was towards the engine, meaning the element was in the t-stat housing. I did the same when I replaced it, however I'm reading that the point might need to go towards the radiator (which would explain a lot). Thanks in advance.

Last edited by irontmp; 05-02-2024 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It should point to the block. With your F100, there should be a ridge / lip it sets into.