Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Transmission ID & servicing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Transmission ID & servicing?

Hi all. 2015 Q5 TDI w/ about 60k miles. My transmission seems to be slipping a bit, I called Audi service to get fluid/filter and they said it is a lifetime non serviceable transmission. Doing research it sounds like it should be serviced regardless of what Audi says. I cannot figure out what my transmission is though to buy a service kit to do it myself! VIN decoder just says "8" for transmission type. My build sticker has the transmission type code as " NPR QDA". Searching online I can't figure out what NPR QDA transmission is.

Anyone shed light on it for me? Also, should I service the transmission myself?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2024, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 400orbust
Hi all. 2015 Q5 TDI w/ about 60k miles. My transmission seems to be slipping a bit, I called Audi service to get fluid/filter and they said it is a lifetime non serviceable transmission. Doing research it sounds like it should be serviced regardless of what Audi says. I cannot figure out what my transmission is though to buy a service kit to do it myself! VIN decoder just says "8" for transmission type. My build sticker has the transmission type code as " NPR QDA". Searching online I can't figure out what NPR QDA transmission is.

Anyone shed light on it for me? Also, should I service the transmission myself?

Thanks!
Not sure about what transmission is used with the TDI but you will probably need to remove and re-install the front subframe X-brace in order to remove the drain pan. (That is the case with the 2.0T and the ZF tranny). All 6 bolts for the X-brace would then need to be replaced as these are torque to yield.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've watched a couple vids and it is very doable for me. Good reminder on replacing the bolts. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have you tried checking ECS Tuning or FCP Euro? Both websites will filter search results based on your specific Audi. And both are reputable with fair pricing.
The following users liked this post:
400orbust (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, I looked at both and they recommend the service kit for a ZF8 transmission. I also contacted Audi help and they said my transmission type is AL551-8Q which is the ZF8 transmission. So now I need to decide...if Audi won't service it should I service it myself or should I have Audi run diagnostics on it to log my complaint but then just drive it? I have another 10k miles under the extended powertrain warranty.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,624 Posts

On the vehicle identification sticker, the four character code on the left is the engine. On the right are the rear diff (if quattro) / transmission codes. So
NPR = type 0BC open rear diff with 43:13 ratio used with V6 engine and ZF8 transmission
QDA = type 0BK first gen 8-speed ZF 8HP55A transmission

So the ZF8 transmission. Audi will say lifetime fill. ZF will say do the fluid drain/fill and filter replace every 50k-75k miles, or something like that. And at least every 8 years. There's great floods amount of info on the ZF ATF process. The correct fluid for that is Lifeguard 8.
400orbust (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 400orbust
Thanks, I looked at both and they recommend the service kit for a ZF8 transmission. I also contacted Audi help and they said my transmission type is AL551-8Q which is the ZF8 transmission. So now I need to decide...if Audi won't service it should I service it myself or should I have Audi run diagnostics on it to log my complaint but then just drive it? I have another 10k miles under the extended powertrain warranty.
My local Audi dealer would not do the full service for me. I asked and got a quote ($600+) for the filter and fluid change but when I got the car back and saw they did not have itemization for a filter or x-brace hardware, I realized that they simply removed the drain plug and did a partial fluid swap and then charged me north of $500. I was really pissed. I would not have even considered paying $100 for a partial fluid swap, especially when I could have easily done that myself.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks SMac & Stash. I'll order the fluid, filter, bolts, etc and do it myself. Crazy that Audi doesn't provide this service!
Old 04-13-2024, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You also might consider changing to center transfer case fluid at the same time as the X-brace needs to be removed to replace that. It is not the same fluid as the front and rear differentials. Also, you will need Vag to read the fluid temp in the transmission to ensure the correct amount of fluid to replaced. Kits normally contain 8 qts of fluid but only 6 are used.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...rential-Change
400orbust (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Alright, to follow up, I ordered all the parts and fluid and just finished a full service:
-engine oil & filter
-transmission oil & filter
-front diff
-center diff
-rear diff
-& rotated the tires
I used all factory fluid. Trans only took 5 liters, I wonder if I should check it again in a few days? Front diff 1 liter, center diff just under 1 liter, rear diff 1 liter (fluid in rear looked new still but front and center definitely looked used).
I feel accomplished but it kinda sucked if I'm being honest. A lift would've been a huge help. I did everything on jackstands and it took me 8 hours start to finish. The link you sent WhatnxtQ5TDI was a big help. The info out on the web is sufficient, the only thing I would mention is to do the front diff before reinstalling the X-brace as the drain plug is right above it and it will make a mess.
Thanks everyone for the pointers, I appreciate it! Time for a drink!

Quick Reply: Q5 Transmission ID & servicing?