A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Airbag clock spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag clock spring replacement

Good evening!

Currently own a Audi A4 B8 (2008) and the clock spring has started to make noise. Got a new clock spring on order and planning to replace it incoming week. However, I am finding very conflicting information online whether the new clock spring will need to be coded, and/or whether any and all calibrations can be done with simple "DIY" tricks such as holding the steering wheel at a certain angle. The new clock spring is not OEM but I have read up on the basics about having the steering wheel centered as to install the new clock spring in it's zero position. If it does need to be coded, can this be done afterwards or is the exact coding from the original spring required?

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2024, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,629 Posts

The J527 will need to be programmed with the correct coding for your vehicle. The long coding string is only three bytes. But you need to know what it is on your old one so you can make sure the new one is set to the same. As for CP, I do not believe that module is involved in the CP system, so shouldn't need anything done in that regard. You're going to have to do the steering angle adaptation end stops regardless. But I think you just turn the wheel full left, wait for beep, full right, wait for beep, done.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
The J527 will need to be programmed with the correct coding for your vehicle. The long coding string is only three bytes. But you need to know what it is on your old one so you can make sure the new one is set to the same. As for CP, I do not believe that module is involved in the CP system, so shouldn't need anything done in that regard. You're going to have to do the steering angle adaptation end stops regardless. But I think you just turn the wheel full left, wait for beep, full right, wait for beep, done.
So, in other words, the clock spring cannot "just" be replaced and driven into a local Audi dealer to be coded afterwards? It has to be done by someone with access to VAGCOM tools from square 1?
Old 04-20-2024, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Why would you pay a dealership an hour labor to do something you can do yourself with a tool you can buy and keep for the same price as that hour labor? I don't think blind swapping the J527 and not doing anything to it will prevent you from driving to the dealership.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
Why would you pay a dealership an hour labor to do something you can do yourself with a tool you can buy and keep for the same price as that hour labor? I don't think blind swapping the J527 and not doing anything to it will prevent you from driving to the dealership.
As true as that might be, I am wildly unfamiliar with what programming/coding the J527 entails. Unbolting and bolting on new parts is easy enough (usually, at least) but that is obviously another thing entirely.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update: Replaced the clock spring last night. Moved over the steering angle sensor and just replaced the actual clock-spring, and as such, had to do nothing special. Basically plug-and-play, given the correct tools. However, it seems the squeaking and snapping sound at certain points when turning the steering wheel left haven't changed one bit, so will have to break it open tonight as well, see if I have missed anything or if the replacement part is defective.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 68 Likes on 67 Posts

check your universal joint on the steering column and grease it with deep creep if you have not tried that already.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
check your universal joint on the steering column and grease it with deep creep if you have not tried that already.
Tried going at the firewall rubber as well as the universal joint with some silicone spray as it was the best option i had at home, to no avail. Removing the plastic covers around does make it seems a lot like a faulty clock spring but I hate the idea already.

I did find that the steering wheel is rubbing on something a lot more at a certain height but whether that is related to the primary issue or not is difficult for me to say.

Considering removing the clock spring entirely, leaving the steering angle sensor in place, and slapping on the steering wheel, as to check whether the sound is STILL there or disappears. Would that mean any trouble other than a few error codes once the battery is hooked up?
Old 04-29-2024, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 68 Likes on 67 Posts

not sure if that would trigger your airbag light..
Old 04-29-2024, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
not sure if that would trigger your airbag light..
​​​​​​
I'm sure it would but that isn't a difficult light to get rid of

Quick Reply: Airbag clock spring replacement