Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

2023 Q8 Sport Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2023 Q8 Sport Mode?

Hi all!

I've got a 2018 A6. When I put it into drive, then pull back on the shifter it flips into sport mode. There's a noticeable difference in how the vehicle responds to the gas pedal. We bought a 2023 Q8 last summer and, while pulling back on the shifter seemingly flips it into sport mode as well, I can't tell any difference in how the vehicle performs. Should there be something noticeable? It's odd to me that my A6 and the Q8 seemingly behave so differently.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a 2020 Q8 and I only noticed a few differences when putting it into Sport mode vs Drive which I listed below. The regular Q8 had some issues with turbo lag/throttle response at times and starting out with D vs S on the dash didn't make a huge difference that I found at least. With my 2023 SQ8 maybe there are a couple extra things the regular Q8 didn't offer (open exhaust valves being big one). The general drive mode - Comfort vs Dynamic - made the biggest difference I found not whether it was in Drive or Sport.
  1. Auto Start/Stop Turns Off (this was the primary reason I kept the Q8 in S mode always and do the same now with my SQ8)
  2. Later shift point
  3. Slightly higher idle
Old 04-27-2024, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to the above it does sharpen the throttle a bit, so it's less lethargic to get going. It also stays on a higher gear when cruising.

Based on what I read a tune would solve some of the Q8's issues, but I'm holding off because I'm worried that Audi might not honor the BSG warranty if the thing grenades.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dainiukas
In addition to the above it does sharpen the throttle a bit, so it's less lethargic to get going. It also stays on a higher gear when cruising.

Based on what I read a tune would solve some of the Q8's issues, but I'm holding off because I'm worried that Audi might not honor the BSG warranty if the thing grenades.
Seeing you are newer to this forum and concern of warranty. You will hear mixed opinions about warranties and tunes on this forum. More common opinion (not saying right or wrong just pure number of posts voicing opinion one way or another) I find is no warranty after tune. One person with an RSQ8 has mentioned a few times his alternator wasn’t covered after his tune so he had to pay $4k for new one. Less common opinion is fight it if the issue isn’t something directly related to a tune and magnussen act being raised. Don’t recall any first hand accounts of people with tunes (at least in Q8 threads) that got warranty coverage after for that is worth.
The following users liked this post:
Dainiukas (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah that's the biggest reason I traded my '19 Q8 in on a '23 SQ8. The Q8 is a pig off the line even in sport mode. The '23 and '24 Q8s I test drove weren't much better. You could literally count "3 Mississippi's" between mashing the gas and the thing getting underway especially on the highway and even in Sport mode. You might try a PedalBox which is easily removed and won't trip the tune flag. An APR Stage 1 tune definitely improves Q8 performance A LOT, but due to the BSG issue and mine being tuned I off-loaded it before I got the dreaded electrical malfunction light.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies and confirming I'm not missing anything. The Q8 belongs to the wife and she's perfectly happy with it, so I'm gonna just leave that alone. I will say, it's super smooth and super comfy, which is what she was going for, so in her book, it's a home run.

Meanwhile, I'm looking to replace the A6 with something more fun in the near future. Maybe an S6, RS5, SQ5 or SQ8. Would love an RS7, but, it's probably a bit out of the price range I want to stay within...
Old 04-28-2024, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audikoenig
Thanks for the replies and confirming I'm not missing anything. The Q8 belongs to the wife and she's perfectly happy with it, so I'm gonna just leave that alone. I will say, it's super smooth and super comfy, which is what she was going for, so in her book, it's a home run.

Meanwhile, I'm looking to replace the A6 with something more fun in the near future. Maybe an S6, RS5, SQ5 or SQ8. Would love an RS7, but, it's probably a bit out of the price range I want to stay within...
You got a Sedan, Coupe and SUV in that mix so bit of a range. SQ8 or SQ7 if you want SUV (only suggesting SQ7 if need slightly more cargo room without slopped back or need 3rd row). Love the performance of my SQ8. When I’ve done launches with others in the car they are blown away. Turn traction control off and you can easily send it sideways leaving parking lots briefly pretending you drive a Mustang leaving a Cars and Coffee. Great bang for buck in terms of luxury performance SUV without full cost of the RSQ8.