A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

20k AudiCare visit

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 113 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 20k AudiCare visit

We took the Wife's car in for her 20k mile AudiCare visit. 2022 A5 Sportback 40 (wimpy 201HP engine).
Got it home and remembered they missed the air filter on her 2017 back in the day.
Checked the paperwork, shows the engine air filter was "OK".

So I decided to open up the air filter housing:

The following users liked this post:
niray99 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 01:05 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, that's concerning. I hope they didn't neglect anything else and mark it OK.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yikes, I don't think I've ever seen leaves on an engine air filter on any car I've ever owned, much less that many. Cabin air filters have had some, yes, but not engine air filter.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly the type of thing that frustrates me when you don't receive the basic level of service from the people you entrust your vehicle with.

Just today I learned from a neighbor that a famous vehicle service chain forgot to put the dipstick back in place after an oil change and they discovered the issued the next day after seeing a puddle of oil in the driveway and underhood.

Also the reason why I simply learned to do stuff myself in my garage.

/rant - good work finding the miss @LightningTruck
The following 2 users liked this post by sammk1234:
Aviator6 (05-03-2024), LightningTruck (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dregsfan
Yikes, I don't think I've ever seen leaves on an engine air filter on any car I've ever owned, much less that many. Cabin air filters have had some, yes, but not engine air filter.
Yup! The Technician didn't see them either!
Old 05-03-2024, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

That's just so hosed. I've been duped by stealership maintenance a few times. Ford, Chevy and most recently Audi. Bought a certified 2021 A6. 14,000 and the dealer said they did the 20k maintenance. Got it home, had no problems, next day under the car was some oil. Opened the hood and oil was sprayed, and pooled around the filter housing. Started the car and oil sprayed like 20 feet from the filter cover. Took the housing off, no gasket wth. Went to Napa got a new filter with gasket. Installed and everything was fine. I won't get into the ford and Chevy debacle, but basically the same kinda crap. I usually always do my own maintence, and both times prior to the Audi, were the first free maintenance when you buy a new car.
LightningTruck (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTruck
Yup! The Technician didn't see them either!
I suspect that if you were paying out of pocket for the inspection and service, they would have replaced both filters. Audi likely pays the dealer considerably less for the job than the dealer would charge a customer.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dregsfan
I suspect that if you were paying out of pocket for the inspection and service, they would have replaced both filters. Audi likely pays the dealer considerably less for the job than the dealer would charge a customer.
I did pay for the services, full price no discount.
It wasn't free or gratis from the dealer or Audi.
Nor was it "Warranty service".
Fact is the air filter inspection was checked and found to be "Green". Same thing happened 5 years ago with our 2017 A4, but I was ready and documented my findings here this time.

Last edited by LightningTruck; 05-03-2024 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,640 Posts

I can't recall which forum, but people have posted pics of their B9 air filter boxes like that over the years. I don't know what they changed from the B8 to the B9, maybe just the lack of the snow screen is that difference. But I've always found it astonishing the amount of leaves that get sucked into the B9s.

Audi originally had the snow screen on there, https://www.genuineaudiparts.com/oem...iner-8w0129054 , but then dropped it across the board at some point, except for the 2.0 TDI. It's still another object that needs cleaning from time to time, and it may or may not be any easier than just cleaning the air filter box regularly.
LightningTruck (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 338 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
I can't recall which forum, but people have posted pics of their B9 air filter boxes like that over the years. I don't know what they changed from the B8 to the B9, maybe just the lack of the snow screen is that difference. But I've always found it astonishing the amount of leaves that get sucked into the B9s.
I agree. The airbox on my 2021 accumulates a large amount of dried leaves and other debris. It is a bit baffling because the area around the air intake does not accumulate junk and I have a fine metal mesh on the back side of the front grill to reduce bug hits on the radiator and intercooler. I would have thought that mesh would have blocked the large pieces from entering the air intake; but, no.

Last summer I replaced the cabin air filter and checked the engine air filter. The actual air filter was just fine; but the air box was full of crap. A couple of minutes with a shop vac fixed that. Vacuuming out the air box is now an annual maintenance item.

LightningTruck (05-04-2024)

Quick Reply: 20k AudiCare visit