Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Audi Q5 MMI Module replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2018 Audi Q5 MMI Module replacement

Our 2018 Q5 needs an MMI module replacement to the tune of $4k!!!! Anybody else experience this??? Can't connect a phone, Bluetooth does not work at all, it's a safety hazard now.
Old 05-22-2024, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lisakc
Our 2018 Q5 needs an MMI module replacement to the tune of $4k!!!! Anybody else experience this??? Can't connect a phone, Bluetooth does not work at all, it's a safety hazard now.
Hopefully Audi will step up. I don’t think not being able to connect your phone would be considered a safety hazard.
Old 05-22-2024, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 343 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
Hopefully Audi will step up. I don’t think not being able to connect your phone would be considered a safety hazard.
I'm pretty sure one can live without having their phone paired to the car and just not calling people when driving. Just saying.... Far from a safety hazard.

Annoying, yes, for sure. OP, there was a thread on someone installing an Android head unit instead of the MMI. Pretty involved process since you need to tear the whole dash out.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

We totally rely on Maps, and voice texting in traffic up here in the bay area, hands free driving is a must, and Audi is NOT stepping up!
Old 05-23-2024, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
It is for people with poor impulse control, i.e. unable to ignore an incoming call or text. They just can't help themselves. I use Google Maps on my phone whenever I'm traveling somewhere - I don't bother updating the MMI, doesn't seem like a good investment to me. I rarely go places I haven't been to before these days.
The following users liked this post:
Wires (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

We actually have business meetings/calls in the car. The post was less about reliance on Bluetooth and more about understanding the issue. We use the maps/WAZE apps less for basic directions and more for getting the fastest way to our destination while avoiding traffic. Many thanks to all!

Old 05-23-2024, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Have you confirmed that the MMI is dead from that perspective? They did have some software updates to address other issues. Have you tried doing the 3-button hard reset on it?
Old 05-23-2024, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yep! Took it in for service, and Audi confirmed that the module "went out". Don't know how or why, but its gone and needs replacement.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd be doing the Android Head Unit then. Would allow you to use Android Auto natively (and wirelessly), as well as that for Bluetooth audio. In fairness to Audi, it is a 6-year old car, so not a warranty item anymore. And all the mfr's charge a ridiculous charge for their onboard systems.
The following users liked this post:
lisakc (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,694 Posts

The problem description is not detailed, so we on this end have to assume you mean the J794, the infotainment control module in the glove box. The J794 fails for various reasons. Anyone needing to replace the J794 would get a used one, maybe 1k-2k, and just have the dealership do the coding, any sw and dat updates, and CP reset for an hour labor bill. The physical replacement in the Q5 is a few minutes task, if you have the removal keys.

You'd have to pull yours to confirm the p/n in that build, seems it various depending on the specific camera system in the vehicle. You can source a new one and replace it yourself for 2100-2300 and then just pay the dealership the labor (few minutes for coding and CP reset, but sw and nav data update takes whatever it takes) to program it to the car.
https://parts.audirockville.com/p/Au...W5035890D.html
https://parts.audirockville.com/p/Au...W5035890C.html
No idea what side camera type 3 vs 4 vs 5 means. There's only KA2 vs KA6. What catalog p/n are they trying to sell you?

But once you determine the actual p/n in your car, then start looking for used ones is what I'd do.https://www.lkqonline.com/2018-audi-...K/-i~383270562 $500 is better than $2300, if it's the right unit. But here we see how the parts catalog p/n can vary from the p/n on the part sticker. That's why "what's on the sticker in the car" and "what is the dealership trying to sell you"; both are useful.

Re "android". Assuming the B9 solution is the same as the common B8 solution, what they are doing is replacing the display screen with an Android tablet. The screen shows the normal Audi stuff when you select that input, otherwise, it's an Android tablet with touchscreen, it's own Bluetooth, it's own GPS, etc. Carplay and AA are already a component of MIB2 (the infotainment front end in a B9.0 is specifically MIB2, not MMI 3G as it was in B8 Q5 years), no? Anyway, that unit is downstream of the J794. Without the J794, there's no Audi screen interface, you can't get to the CAR menu, etc. And the J794 is the infotainment center, there's no vehicle audio without it. So these tablet retrofits, they still require the front end infotainment system in the vehicle to be functional.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi Q5 MMI Module replacement