Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

OBDEleven vs new VAG-COM cable

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OBDEleven vs new VAG-COM cable

Went to change rear brakes today ('22 SQ7) and planned to use my VCDS HEX+CAN cable to put the parking brake into service mode, only to find an error that the vehicle is not supported. Great, another thing to buy.

Sounds like my options are 1. drop $200 on a new VCDS cable (limited to 3 VINS) or pick up an OBDeleven which is currently having a 20% off sale for father's day.

Any recommendations? I hardly ever use the VCDS cable. I have a basic code reader for other stuff. Just want to be able to release the parking brake. Oh, and the guys at VCDS told me on the phone that even if Buy their $200 cable, it "might" not work because VAG encrypts certain functions, and they don't have a system yet to overcome that. So I could buy their $200 cable and have it not work.

The OBDeleven website is super confusing... unclear to me what I would need to buy for this purpose.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:43 AM
SVJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I just replaced my rear brake pads the other week for the first time. Took me 4 hours total (including tire rotation and a quick plug for a screw I picked up in the front tire).
I have both OBDEleven and a cheap OBD dongle I once bought on eBay. I was actually able two unwind the EPB using a cheap dongle with "Car Scanner" app I purchased on Google Play. I was also able to end the liner replacement mode and whine it back in, too, but it couldn't automatically clear the code.
I believe the OBDEleven has a 10-credit-automation for it and I think you can also do it by digging deeper into the menus there.
If you have lits of time, you can forgo this altogether and disassemble the EPB and unwind it manually like in video below:
The following users liked this post:
CottonMcKnight (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SVJ
I just replaced my rear brake pads the other week for the first time. Took me 4 hours total (including tire rotation and a quick plug for a screw I picked up in the front tire).
I have both OBDEleven and a cheap OBD dongle I once bought on eBay. I was actually able two unwind the EPB using a cheap dongle with "Car Scanner" app I purchased on Google Play. I was also able to end the liner replacement mode and whine it back in, too, but it couldn't automatically clear the code.
I believe the OBDEleven has a 10-credit-automation for it and I think you can also do it by digging deeper into the menus there.
If you have lits of time, you can forgo this altogether and disassemble the EPB and unwind it manually like in video below:
Thank you this is super helpful! Actually the manual procedure looks really straightforward, I think I'm going to give that a go. Is the EPB just one side or is both?
Old 05-24-2024, 04:50 AM
SVJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Avantadrive_Original
Thank you this is super helpful! Actually the manual procedure looks really straightforward, I think I'm going to give that a go. Is the EPB just one side or is both?
Both, I believe.
Old 06-10-2024, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Avantadrive_Original
Went to change rear brakes today ('22 SQ7) and planned to use my VCDS HEX+CAN cable to put the parking brake into service mode, only to find an error that the vehicle is not supported. Great, another thing to buy.

Sounds like my options are 1. drop $200 on a new VCDS cable (limited to 3 VINS) or pick up an OBDeleven which is currently having a 20% off sale for father's day.

Any recommendations? I hardly ever use the VCDS cable. I have a basic code reader for other stuff. Just want to be able to release the parking brake. Oh, and the guys at VCDS told me on the phone that even if Buy their $200 cable, it "might" not work because VAG encrypts certain functions, and they don't have a system yet to overcome that Check it out. So I could buy their $200 cable and have it not work.

The OBDeleven website is super confusing... unclear to me what I would need to buy for this purpose.

Appreciate any suggestions.
I’ve searched but I’m not finding things specific to the C7. I had VCDS for my B6 which I just replaced with the S6 so I need a new means of pulling codes and doing maintenance. The newer compatible VCDS is $199 so before I buy it I wanted to get everyone’s weigh in on that vs the OBDeleven option for our cars. Similar capabilities etc? Thanks!