TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

According to Audi, my car should not always start

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default According to Audi, my car should not always start

Took my car in for 30k mile service this week. I was having trouble starting the engine after a night in the garage (or even a day at work) when there was 2-3 gallons of gasoline in it, or less. I try to start it, it keeps turning but not starting the first time, but then I stop, let it sit a few seconds, try again and it always works.

Comes back the following day, service done. Service guy claims they pumped a bunch of gas out, let it sit a few hours, tried to start and -- lo and behold -- it won't start.

So they call the Audi technical hotline which tells them that *THIS IS NORMAL BEHAVIOR*.

Now, I might be relatively clueless about cars. But I've never had a vehicle that had issues starting. Especially when said vehicle costs $40k. Seems like according to Audi, I'm supposed to sit in the lot trying to get my car started, while other cars are happily driving away? Embarassing, to say the least.

Any advice? Similar stories?
Old 06-13-2002, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Have you tried waiting for the "OK" to appear B4 starting??
Old 06-13-2002, 11:51 PM

Default On my car... OK appears as soon as I turn the key to ON...

before the car even starts...!
Old 06-13-2002, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default many many have this problem, as do i...

try the suggestion below...
I think some said it might be a fuel sending problem...but id rather live with it, rather than having some dumb tech touch my car sad aint it?
Old 06-14-2002, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thjat's the point...turn key until OK appears, then it is "OK" to start the car.

Someone posted that the fuel pump primes something to help the car start...I have no idea..I could be talking out my ***.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:22 AM
Rai
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Had a cold start problem on my a4... they finally replaced the ECU which fixed it.

...sometimes started first go, sometimes taking up to 3-4 tries before it would start. The problem didn't correlate to the amount of fuel for memory.
Old 06-14-2002, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I work with a German company's equipment and service techs Their response typically is....

Ya dat's normal It's actually become a typical joking response to many FUBAR situations around here!
Old 06-14-2002, 02:50 AM

Default Try a different type of gas.

My car had exactly the same problem. I switched from Citgo 93 Octane to SuperAmerica 92 octane and no problems since.
Search "Stall Problems" and the full story, and follow ups are there.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wait for OK to DIS-appear . . .

I recall the post stating turn the key on . . . put your seatbelt on . . . then by that time the OK on the guage cluster has disappeared - then start the car. This "primes" the fuel sending unit (or something to that effect). I had first start of the day problems until I started heeding that advice. Now I've changed my ways!
Old 06-14-2002, 04:57 AM

My car has started doing this too.

Quick Reply: According to Audi, my car should not always start