TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

help ecu problems maybe????

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help ecu problems maybe????

Ok im in a jam. So I was driving along fine and dandy. Then boom car suddenly dies, no sputter no check engine no nothing. Got a tow home, Started checking power to the fuses. No power to fuel pump. No power to any of the engine timing fuses. power to all other fuses. Fuel pump relay in engine bay is clicking when i turn the key on. also when i turn the key to the on position i have no check engine light on. all other lights come on including the one with the car and key( immobilizer i think ) and when i turn the engine over i get nothing on the Tach. so i changed the crankshaft position sensor think that was the problem but still didnt fix. tried hooking up vag com and it wont connect. neither will obd which it used to but not now. so how do i go about checking the ecu. or maybe reset the immobilizer maybe. but dont understand why the immobilizer would cause me to not be able to communicate with the ecu... any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently had a problem not being able to communicate with OBD, if you have a volt meter you can do a quick check. Google "OBD pinout" to get the pin orientation. Pin 1 should be switched battery voltage, i.e. when the ignition is off it is zero volts relative to ground and when the key is on it should read between 12 and 13 volts. Pin 16 is battery voltage regardless of the key position. Pins 4 and 5 are "chassis ground" and "signal ground" which would indicate they are different, but in the Audi the 2 wires are tied together so you should have a solid ground on those 2 pins. If those four pins all check out OK then you have a bad "K line", the OBD signal on pin 7.

The K line is linked to all the control modules and a problem with any of them can mess up the signal. I plugged in my OBD reader and watched it while unplugging control modules. I have read here on the forum the ABS module is often the culprit but in my case it was the headlight leveling control module. As soon as I unplugged it I was able to communicate. I would love to know the decision process that led Audi engineers to put a control module on the floor of the well under the convertible top, one place in the car you can be sure will get wet.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue I’m having

Originally Posted by koty_1
Ok im in a jam. So I was driving along fine and dandy. Then boom car suddenly dies, no sputter no check engine no nothing. Got a tow home, Started checking power to the fuses. No power to fuel pump. No power to any of the engine timing fuses. power to all other fuses. Fuel pump relay in engine bay is clicking when i turn the key on. also when i turn the key to the on position i have no check engine light on. all other lights come on including the one with the car and key( immobilizer i think ) and when i turn the engine over i get nothing on the Tach. so i changed the crankshaft position sensor think that was the problem but still didnt fix. tried hooking up vag com and it wont connect. neither will obd which it used to but not now. so how do i go about checking the ecu. or maybe reset the immobilizer maybe. but dont understand why the immobilizer would cause me to not be able to communicate with the ecu... any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
did you ever happen to find out what it was, because everything that said is exactly what happened to me, and I’m in a rut trying to figure it out!