TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Instrument cluster replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster replacement

Greetings guys,

I aim to replace my instrument cluster. I have some questions:

1. First and foremost - My cluster is with catalog number 8N1 919 860 XC, but my replacement is with catalog number 8N1 920 860 J. Are these compatible?
2. If these are compatible what is the procedure through VCDS to calibrate the new cluster?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You have to take your car to a dealer to put a new cluster in, they mate up the mileage and ready the security so the car will actually run with it in. Why not send your cluster in for a rebuild, a lot easier and less expensive?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fore easy - not so much. I couldn't find someone in my country that could restore it (actually restore it, not just make it believable).
For cheaper - again, the prices I was given were twice as much as the cluster I bought.

Still, thanks for the information. I found a dealer that can replace it. When I have time, I'll go to him.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 03_AR_CO
You have to take your car to a dealer to put a new cluster in, they mate up the mileage and ready the security so the car will actually run with it in. Why not send your cluster in for a rebuild, a lot easier and less expensive?
I agree with 03_AR_CO, I'll be sending mine in within the next couple months when mine is back in its garage and not on campus with me. $365 for the dash to be completely rebuilt from modulemaster. It's a few week return time but still, they fix everything.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there anyone who does this repair in NYC or NJ? There's no chance that I attempt this myself, and I really don't want to send it out since it's my TT is my daily driver. My dead pixels are so bad that it's unreadable.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Zap!
Is there anyone who does this repair in NYC or NJ? There's no chance that I attempt this myself, and I really don't want to send it out since it's my TT is my daily driver. My dead pixels are so bad that it's unreadable.
Not that I'm aware of.

Tanin auto electric in Racine, Wisconsin and Module Master in Idaho are the two big guys. There was another just outside of Chicago but they fell off my radar. Then again, Racine is less that a hundred miles away from Chicago.

Your only other option is a dealer who will sell and program a new cluster. Probably aboot $1500.00 though. Maybe ask at an independent Europeaen repair shop if they know someone local who would rebuild the cluster. Usually, besides the LCD display. a stepper motor for a gauge or three also needs replacing which is what the two places I mentioned above do.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default I seriously doubt it

A rebuild or repair of the cluster components is not something a garage should even attempt themselves. It requires full commercial grade soldering skills by certified soldering techs. There are lots of forum posts of folks who DIY and destroyed the cluster in the process. It should be sent out and a rebuild of your cluster will be plug and play with no need for a dealer to get involved. One of the best was Module Masters but they no longer support the Mk 1. Speedometer Solutions in IL has received favorable reviews and will take 7-10 days plus shipping time for $299. Another company claims same day service for $230 but I've seen no reviews Pixel Repair Service for Audi TT Instrument Cluster
Old 01-20-2019, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Not that I'm aware of.

Tanin auto electric in Racine, Wisconsin and Module Master in Idaho are the two big guys. There was another just outside of Chicago but they fell off my radar. Then again, Racine is less that a hundred miles away from Chicago.

Your only other option is a dealer who will sell and program a new cluster. Probably aboot $1500.00 though. Maybe ask at an independent Europeaen repair shop if they know someone local who would rebuild the cluster. Usually, besides the LCD display. a stepper motor for a gauge or three also needs replacing which is what the two places I mentioned above do.
I definitely won't be going dealer, as I don't wanna spend more than $250-$300 tops. If I can't find anyone locally, I'll wait until Spring and send it out. 10-15 days without a car in warmer weather will be doable.

Stupid question: Let's say I buy a used mint cluster on eBay that had 80,000 miles, will it automatically register how many miles that I have on my car (I have 150k+), or will it use the stats from the car it was pulled out of? Also, will the fuel and temp gauges have to be set to what I have, or will they calibrate automatically?

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
A rebuild or repair of the cluster components is not something a garage should even attempt themselves. It requires full commercial grade soldering skills by certified soldering techs. There are lots of forum posts of folks who DIY and destroyed the cluster in the process. It should be sent out and a rebuild of your cluster will be plug and play with no need for a dealer to get involved. One of the best was Module Masters but they no longer support the Mk 1. Speedometer Solutions in IL has received favorable reviews and will take 7-10 days plus shipping time for $299. Another company claims same day service for $230 but I've seen no reviews Pixel Repair Service for Audi TT Instrument Cluster
That $230 price is interesting, as it says "Premium, similar to OEM". They also do "Standard" for $160. Wonder what the difference looks like? The computer screen itself is only a $20 part, so what could cause the $70 difference?
Old 01-21-2019, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default I doubt anyone here knows the answers

I definitely won't be going dealer, as I don't wanna spend more than $250-$300 tops. If I can't find anyone locally, I'll wait until Spring and send it out. 10-15 days without a car in warmer weather will be doable.

Stupid question: Let's say I buy a used mint cluster on eBay that had 80,000 miles, will it automatically register how many miles that I have on my car (I have 150k+), or will it use the stats from the car it was pulled out of? Also, will the fuel and temp gauges have to be set to what I have, or will they calibrate automatically?
That $230 price is interesting, as it says "Premium, similar to OEM". They also do "Standard" for $160. Wonder what the difference looks like? The computer screen itself is only a $20 part, so what could cause the $70 difference?
A rebuild is no risk plug and play for a reasonable price so that's what folks do. I assume, but don't know for sure, that a used cluster from another car would be no different than a new cluster and a dealer has to get involved. Call your dealership and ask about a used cluster. They are very informative.
As for the difference between standard and premium, call them and ask for a photo of each display. Other than that, they don't have to justify their prices to you. The world is full of examples where the upcharge for a premium option is not related to their actual cost. For example, there are tuners that charge a different price for different HP boosts but the only difference is one line of code in the software because the program is the same for all options and its just a matter of the factory setting the option as it goes out the door. So they charge you more for zero cost to them.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm going to send it out to Tanin Auto Electronix in WI when I get the chance. I was going to wait until the warmer weather (since I'd be without a car), but it's got me wondering. I should be able to drive without a cluster while it's sent out, no?

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster replacement