TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Looking for Audi TT mk1 glove box!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Audi TT mk1 glove box!

Hey guys I have a 2003 Audi TT Quattro and my glove box latch broke so now it just hangs open I’m looking for a new glove box would anyone have a spare!? I know that’s a weird question to ask but please get back to me!
Old 11-19-2018, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Common problem. Only a $1000 part because you have to replace the entire glove box so don't expect someone to just have one lying around. I thought they revised the mechanism by 2003 to avoid that problem? I'd try junk yards and try to get one from a later model. My 2004 had the improved latch. Do an internet search on a repair. At one time there were several.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm a new TT owner and just joined Audi World. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Just got back from an Audi dealer who told me my glove box that I could not open would need to be replaced in its entirety. Cost $1000 plus labor. Pretty much what you said. I'm going to search for used that work. It's expensive but you can't run around without a glove box. The car doesn't have much space to store anything. I'm wondering if a locksmith can do anything with the existing mechanism?

If anyone has any new thoughts since these posts back in 2018, I would appreciate hearing what you know. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2020, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Forgot to mention I have a 2004 mk1 Audi TT roadster.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Do more searches on this forum and Fourtitude. I've seen some discussions of DIY work arounds for the latch over the years
Old 10-07-2020, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
Do more searches on this forum and Fourtitude. I've seen some discussions of DIY work arounds for the latch over the years
Thank you, Vegas-roadster, for replying to my post. I'll check out the previous posts and hopefully get some ideas on how to get my glove box functional again without having to buy one. Love the car and well aware of the cost to keep it running. But, I think it is worth it. AudiWorld has some nice people like you that are willing to help. Be safe!
Old 10-08-2020, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Pull off the cover and you can stick a screwdriver in the little hole and push in at just the right angle and the glove box opens. I just tried it on my car just now.

Angle the screwdriver downwards more than is shown in my pic.

Old 10-08-2020, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by Casimierda
Pull off the cover and you can stick a screwdriver in the little hole and push in at just the right angle and the glove box opens. I just tried it on my car just now.

Angle the screwdriver downwards more than is shown in my pic.

Thank you, Casimierda, for sharing this photo and telling me what you did to open your glove box. There are pins on both side but I'm not yet sure whether when you push one pin, both of them move inward. I'll give this a try over the weekend and see what happens. I'd like to be able to close the glove box for now until I figure out a fix. Paying $1000+ for a new glove box is crazy. I never realized how many people have had this problem until I joined AudiWorld.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

If you push only 1 pin in, both sides move inward. I was able to open my glovebox this way to test it.
It's very tricky to push the screwdriver in at just the right angle. If you have problems, try removing the black cover thing held in with the torx screws, maybe you'll be able to reach thru the hole easier.

I haven't had this problem yet... the problem I had was the latch fell off 8 years ago which I only recently fixed.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glove box help...

Originally Posted by inferno70915 gaming
Hey guys I have a 2003 Audi TT Quattro and my glove box latch broke so now it just hangs open I’m looking for a new glove box would anyone have a spare!? I know that’s a weird question to ask but please get back to me!
Hey there, I don't know where you live, but check out this place. They do have a tt, I have gotten a bunch of interior parts , cheap, and I mean CHEAP!! , Beasley foreign parts inc. 5556 lahring rd, holly mi. 48442. 248-634-8681 give them a call, by the way ,most speak Spanish, but English also. I would offer them around 40- 50$ for the whole glove box door.

Quick Reply: Looking for Audi TT mk1 glove box!